Cruise booked .. think I want a balcony now

princesskatiejae

I am trying to convince myself that I need to upgrade my oceanview room to a balcony room.

Help me convince myself to spend the extra money *LOL*

We are going on the Splendor on June 20th

This will be my 30th birthday (depart on my birthday yay)

I will have my 5 (almost 6) year old son in the room with me

My husband passed away in a car accident June 7th of this year so when we sail it will be just a year after his death :(

My husbands best friend and wife will be joining my us on a cruise (and currently have an ocean view room booked next to ours)

They don't mind if we upgrade but I feel guilty

I am trying to convince myself I need to do this for me!!

Help!! *LOL*

What JayRock59 said.....

This is a time for you and your son, a first time experience. Your son will enjoy the balcony and spending the extra money is worth it. The idea that you are even considering it makes me think you should just do it! We would never go back to a window cabin. We're sailing on the Splendor in 30 days....

My first CCL cruise will be in MArch. I have 4 HAL cruises, all with a balcony. This will be my first without. I wanted to go cheap and a friend and his wife decided to try thier first cruise with us (It's only a 4 nighter,,,way to short for me but it's all I could afford when I booked) and booked the cabin next to us. I told them I may change my mind and upgrade because now I can afford a balcony (I booked like 5 months ago). So,,my friend say thats fine with him and for now money (as far as an upgrade) would be alright so I may do it.

So if you can afford it,,I say just do it. You know balconys are the best. There is nothing like fresh salt air in the morning, or the evening.

The balcony is great for you to relax at night while your son goes to bed. No acting quiet as a mouse so you don't disturb him.

Depending on the size of the balcony, your friends could also join you there for drinks. Think of it as your private lounging area of the ship, where you can easily keep an eye on your son.

My balcony has always been my favorite part of the ship, no matter what ship it was.

And not to dwell on the negative, but since the cruise will be near the anniversary of your husband's passing, you may appreciate a quite space to be with your own thoughts from time to time. Staring at the sea can be very theraputic. It reminds you of your position in the grand scheme of things. It can also be a great place to reflect on life and plan your future path.

Enjoy your cruise.

my dd passed away in 2006 and me and dw decided to "get away" for awhile it was nice having the balcony when we just wantd to sit and relax and think . I say splurge on the balcony you can thank me later trust me you'll understand when your there ;)

I'm w/the rest of the gang... with all you have went through, you deserve a balcony. I also agree that sitting out there and watching the water is very therapeutic and healing. I don't think you will regret it, and your ds will love it as well. It is awesome to go out there when you are pulling into port and watch your arrival...go for it!!!!!!!

ETA: I am very sorry for your loss and wish you all the best.

sorry about your loss but get the balcony and enjoy just remember it is hard to go back to inside after having a balcony. Have a great cruise.:):)

totally agree another vote for the balcony

First cruise - Inner

2nd cruise - Ocean View

Next 7 cruises - Balcony

Once you go balcony, you will never go back. The first time we took our son we were in the ocean view and we spent a lot of time looking out the window. The next year we had a balcony and spend a lot more time out there. Either way have a great time.

Enjoy your balcony (I'm thinking you will upgrade:)).

We've done ocean views on smaller ships before they had balcony cabins added. We had a great time, but the balcony cabin adds so much to the enjoyment of our cruises. If you don't have issues with the price, do it. You'll be happy that you did.

Go for it! Having a balcony is the favorite part of a cruise for me. It's awesome having a private area to just sit out and relax, stare at/listen to the ocean, etc.

Plus you only turn 30 once so splurge! There is always room for one more "balcony snob"! :D

Guest bahamamama1

I would love a balcony if I could afford it but for now I would rather book more cheap cruises than fewer expensive (balcony) cruises.

And plus I always pay for 4 people (myself, my 2 daughters and grand-daughter) so it can get a bit costly..

Also I am scared that I might be miserable if I tried a balcony and was "unable" to do without on future cruises !!

I have heard from quite a few people that once you go balcony you never go back !!!

We got a balcony for the first time on our last cruise for my mom's big birthday. I am terrified of heights and didn't realize how much I would love it! It is so nice to go outside first thing in the morning, see the view, be able to have an everchanging view from your cabin. It's a nice place to sit and relax or just feel the breeze in your hair. I didn't spend any more time in my cabin with the balcony than with an interior, but it made the time that I did spend in the cabin 100% more enjoyable. Plus, even though the cabin is the same size, the layout and view makes it seem so much bigger!

And not to dwell on the negative, but since the cruise will be near the anniversary of your husband's passing, you may appreciate a quite space to be with your own thoughts from time to time. Staring at the sea can be very theraputic. It reminds you of your position in the grand scheme of things. It can also be a great place to reflect on life and plan your future path.

Enjoy your cruise.

Very well said indeed and My sincere condolences for your loss.

Do not feel guilty booking a balcony, you and your son deserve it.

Enjoy your cruise.

Do the balcony, you won't regret it. But I must qualify this statement and admit that I am a balcony snob and won't travel without one. First, I am not one for leaving the kids in camp after hours, so we come back and relax while they drift off to sleep. Second, sometimes I get tired of the lido deck and want to just get away from it all. I have been known to spend hours out there reading watching the world go by.

My first cruise was an OV - and so not worth the extra money. Then on my 4th cruise, we were booked in an OV because I was wanting to vacation but needed to keep the cost down. Also, it was the Fascination and those Fantasy class ships did not have balconies back then, except for suites. Well, I watched the rates, and when the suite came down to within a few hundred of what I had paid for the OV, I splurged. It was soooooo worth it. Every time we would walk down the hall and I would look into the OV with the 2 bunks hanging down up above, I would just grin - I knew I would have felt claustrophobic in there.

So that is my very long way of saying that you deserve it and will love it. Have a fantastic trip and may it help heal you.

Okay Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday to me!!

I did it.

We upgraded our ocean view room to an Aft Extended Balcony!!

I am sooo excited now!!!

Thank you everyone for your well wishes and opinions. I cant wait until June now!!

Now to do some researching about balcony rooms *LOL*

Thanks again

Katie and the little munchkin man Matthew

Okay Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday to me!!

I did it.

We upgraded our ocean view room to an Aft Extended Balcony!!

I am sooo excited now!!!

Thank you everyone for your well wishes and opinions. I cant wait until June now!!

Now to do some researching about balcony rooms *LOL*

Thanks again

Katie and the little munchkin man Matthew

An AFT EXTENDED! WOW! What a GREAT SPLURGE....I am jealous as I have never done one of those - you really will be spoiled now! But, then again, I think that is one of the best points of cruising - being spoiled!

Enjoy!

Archived