Does Princess stay current w/exercise equipment?

kymbakitty

Just curious....I just so happened to find a pretty cool website that had a lot of pictures of the Grand.

One of them was their exercise area...true to form, the picture was probably taken when the Princess first sailed....nearly 12 years ago. I saw some stair-steppers (people that are over the age of 40 usually have knee aches just looking at those awful things) and a few other outdated pieces of equipment.

In my dreams, they would have Precor 100i's, but I know that is asking for way too much. But do they keep current and replace and update equipment as the years go by? I didn't see one elliptical...although I'm sure they have those....those were all over even 12 years ago.

Just curious to see how good a job Princess does on a whole keeping up with the times and desires of cruise passengers in this area.

Dawn

Just curious....I just so happened to find a pretty cool website that had a lot of pictures of the Grand.

One of them was their exercise area...true to form, the picture was probably taken when the Princess first sailed....nearly 12 years ago. I saw some stair-steppers (people that are over the age of 40 usually have knee aches just looking at those awful things) and a few other outdated pieces of equipment.

In my dreams, they would have Precor 100i's, but I know that is asking for way too much. But do they keep current and replace and update equipment as the years go by? I didn't see one elliptical...although I'm sure they have those....those were all over even 12 years ago.

Just curious to see how good a job Princess does on a whole keeping up with the times and desires of cruise passengers in this area.

Dawn

I can tell you about the Coral. All equipment was replaced when ship went into drydock October 9th. I just got off. Beautiful up to date everything. And yes, ellipticals too. Each machine has an individual TV too.

We just got off the Island. They had numerous treadmills, which I didn't use, several steppers, and three ellipticals as well as exercise bikes and some weight equipment. Also some hybrid of steppers and elliptical?? step climbers? I'm not sure what they were.

I did not think the ellipticals were very good and one was being repaired at the time. There were 3 or 4 tvs, but not individual ones.

I do think the Island is going in for a refit soon, so maybe some of the equipment will be replaced/updated.

Probably as frequently as a moderately priced land gym (say Fitness 24) upgrades. As someone posted above, definitely during drydock. I use the ship gym on every cruise.

Dawn

• 2 months later...
I can tell you about the Coral. All equipment was replaced when ship went into drydock October 9th. I just got off. Beautiful up to date everything. And yes, ellipticals too. Each machine has an individual TV too.

Hi -- we're on the July 3 SB sailing from Whittier to Vancouver. Can you tell me if there are any fees associated with using the gym facilities? Also, do they have classes -- i.e., cycling or step aerobics as well? Many thanks!

I think they do a pretty good job of keeping the equipment up to date. On the Star besides the mass of treadmills, elypticals and weight machines they had a rowing machine and a machine tailored to the accessibility needs.

The equipment is free to use normally between about 7am to 10pm. Aerobics classes may be free or there may be a $12 charge. There are spinning classes also at around $12 (and you can buy a package) as well as Yoga and Pilates. There will be one or two personal trainers onboard.

Hi -- we're on the July 3 SB sailing from Whittier to Vancouver. Can you tell me if there are any fees associated with using the gym facilities? Also, do they have classes -- i.e., cycling or step aerobics as well? Many thanks!

Spinning, Yoga and Pilates have fees. Aerobics is free, but they don't do them every day.

Does the Grand have a sauna available to everyone (some only if you book a massage)?

If so, is it dry and/or steam?

Thanks.

Dawn

There is a steam room and a sauna accessed via the lotus pool area

We've been on many of the Princess ships and most recently, the Star. We work out everyday, sometimes even when we're in port. Tho' my wife uses the treadmills (and thinks they're really nice), we both like to use the rest of the equipment. The newer ships have pretty good stuff, like a Smith machine and many other machines. However, due to space limitations, the smaller ships, like the Golden and the Star, don't have as many treadmills, exercise machines and elipticals as the larger ships. My major complaint, and I just wrote to both Princess and Steiner Leisure (who operates the gym and spa), is the lack of the inexpensive gym stuff that can add so much to your workout. Things like BOSU balls, exercise stretch bands, medicine balls and kettle balls. These take up little space and yet can make for great workouts.

I really hope that Princess and Steiner will step into the fitness scene in a more serious way. s

We've been on many of the Princess ships and most recently, the Star. We work out everyday, sometimes even when we're in port. Tho' my wife uses the treadmills (and thinks they're really nice), we both like to use the rest of the equipment. The newer ships have pretty good stuff, like a Smith machine and many other machines. However, due to space limitations, the smaller ships, like the Golden and the Star, don't have as many treadmills, exercise machines and elipticals as the larger ships. My major complaint, and I just wrote to both Princess and Steiner Leisure (who operates the gym and spa), is the lack of the inexpensive gym stuff that can add so much to your workout. Things like BOSU balls, exercise stretch bands, medicine balls and kettle balls. These take up little space and yet can make for great workouts.

I really hope that Princess and Steiner will step into the fitness scene in a more serious way. s

I hear what you are saying, but I can't tell if the Golden and Star, as you referred to as smaller ships, is in the same category as the Grand. I thought the Golden was a sister ship to the Grand, but I'm not 100% positive since I have only been on the Diamond and Dawn, and it's been six years since we've been on any ship.

By the way, one of the things I always pack is my band. It takes up basically no room, weighs nothing and is as good as almost any weight bearing exercise. Of course I like to use the machines and free weights as well.

Initially, I was asking if the equipment in the gyms was "current." Someone replied that the cruiseline is as current as, say a 24-hour fitness." Well, if you can tell me a ship that has the Precor 100i on her, I'd love to know. You average Sport 24 hour Fitness has about 4-6 of these, and of course, they are ALWAYS in use. I'm saving up for one day...but they run about $5k used, $7995 new.

Anyone ever see one of these in a Princess exercise facility?

http://precor.com/comm/en/amt/amt100i

Thanks everyone....

Dawn

Does any one know what the gym is like on the Sea Princess - will be doing the round trip to Alaska out of SF in July and want to know if this had new kit when it had a make over last year.

I also enjoy areobics classes, does anyone know if these are free or how often they are offerred?

Or will I have to be very disciplined and use the equipment on my own!!!

Many thanks

J

Things like BOSU balls, exercise stretch bands, medicine balls and kettle balls. These take up little space and yet can make for great workouts.

How strange - I have asked the personal trainer in the gym for these if the items were not out (although I never have asked for a kettle ball) and they have always managed to produce them.

I asked the trainer for a band (just one!) on our Antarctica trip aboard the

Star...no go, not one, nor any BOSU balls. But I have asked on other ships and viola (yeah, I know, it's supposed to be voilá) it appeared. Like an earlier poster, I too am going to bring my own resistance band on our impending TA on the Crown. Might bring a full set of kettle balls as well. <G>. s

I hear what you are saying, but I can't tell if the Golden and Star, as you referred to as smaller ships, is in the same category as the Grand. I thought the Golden was a sister ship to the Grand, but I'm not 100% positive since I have only been on the Diamond and Dawn, and it's been six years since we've been on any ship.

Dawn

Golden and Star are twins of the Grand, so the fitness center is the same size and has room for the same array of equipment. I do not know what equipment is currently available on her.

Diamond and Sapphire are twins, and the Dawn, Sun and Sea are triplets. The "little sisters" are the Ocean, Pacific and Royal.

Hope that helps sort out the ladies a bit.

When I have ventured into the fitness centers on any of these ladies, I have found the equipment to be more than adequate, but I really didn't pay attention to the brand....just wanted to get in a bit of cardio while enjoying the view.

By the way, one of the things I always pack is my band. It takes up basically no room, weighs nothing and is as good as almost any weight bearing exercise. Of course I like to use the machines and free weights as well.

Initially, I was asking if the equipment in the gyms was "current." Someone replied that the cruiseline is as current as, say a 24-hour fitness." Well, if you can tell me a ship that has the Precor 100i on her, I'd love to know. You average Sport 24 hour Fitness has about 4-6 of these, and of course, they are ALWAYS in use. I'm saving up for one day...but they run about $5k used, $7995 new.

Anyone ever see one of these in a Princess exercise facility?

http://precor.com/comm/en/amt/amt100i

Thanks everyone....

Dawn

While they do have treadmills, ellipticals, steppers/striders, a rower, bumbbells, a smiths rack and various weight machines, I have never seen the Precor 100i that you're hoping for on any Princess ship...

No I have not but what a nice machine!

This is the current gym equipment on the Star

If you ever have the chance, you need to give it a test run. It is the most amazing piece of equipment to be invented since the eliptical. Seriously. It is completely what you make it...you can work out like a stepper, a jog, or a cross between a stepper and an eliptical. At first it kinds of seems a little clumsy (trust me, it is the operator), but once you get the hang of it and understand what type of workout this machine can offer, you are "smitten." I remember being on the road (for work) and the Homewood Suites I was staying in had free passes for guests at a local gym. I walked in...very early, around 5:00 a.m.....walked over to this machine and I was hooked within 10 minutes. I emailed my husband and best friend when I got back to the hotel with the subject line, "I think I'm in love..." and then I gave them the link.

I just need to save $5k to get one to put in my exercise room at home. Then figure out what to do with my eliptical!

Dawn

We are going on a 15 day Transatlantic on the Grand next month. I'll be bringing a resistance band. Even though they have them in the aerobics room, I plan to bring a Yoga mat. We have a cabin near the aft terrace pool and I am already envisioning my morning Yoga practice. I'll also have my Garmin 310XT GPS watch with foot pod for my morning runs on the Promenade Deck or treadmill.

Life is good!:)

• 5 months later...
No I have not but what a nice machine!

This is the current gym equipment on the Star

I'm considering booking a 15 day cruise on the Star. And, I just (re)discovered that the Star is a "sister" ship to the Golden/Grand. Having just cruised on the Grand for 14 days, I was sharply reminded of how much I disliked the exercise facility (this was my ONLY complaint). It was like an after thought and I couldn't believe it was "born" that way. I was assured by all that it was....

I'm so grateful to you for posting the pictures of the Star's exercise facility! I don't care what anyone says, the Grand's exercise room is NOT anything like these pictures and the Star's exercise facility looks very spacious, very well laid out and certainly not like an after thought. There is a HUGE difference between the Star's gym and the Grand.

Thank you SOOOO much for posting this....I'm so glad I came back to reread a few of the posts. No, I don't base my cruises based on their exercise facilities, or lack thereof, however, after being on 11 ships, I had never been so disappointed with an exercise facility as I was on the grand.

Awesome.....we are booking the cruise!

Dawn

Archived