Do you think CCL should raise rates for better customer service?

NutsAboutGolf

Working in a Customer Service industry, I have to say that most people who say xyz has poor customer service, is because the company refused to do what the customer is demanding. I've had customers who wanted a 100% refund and to keep what was purchased just because it was delivered a day early (it's a gift basket shipping UPS Ground from California.. our delivery guarantee is within 5 business days.. and the closer you are to California, the earlier the delivery..). In the name of Customer Service, we offer to refund 5-10% of the purchase price, even though we did nothing wrong. Yet because we wont give a 100% refund, we have bad customer service.

I see it all the time reading the bad_service forums and on this board.. just because you want something, doesnt mean you are going to get it, especially if it's all spelled out in a contract or agreement (return policy and the like) when you purchase it.

I am happy with Carnival's ships and service....so they don't have to raise the rates on my account!!!! :D

I do know that the cabin and wait staff are spread a little thinner than they used to be....and while it has not affected any of my cruises yet...I would pay more so that they are not spread as thin...they work hard enough as it is without additional cabins and tables....

My vote is to leave it alone as it is now.

I don't think CCL has bad service. While somethings may not go as you

planned. But let it go and have fun and relax!

If folks don't like it go else where. No one is making them travel with CCL.

There are bad food places in my town. But its my choice if I go back or not.

Same true with the travel world.

I travel a lot over the years for personal and work. I have had bad experiences with hotels and airlines. But I make a choice on who gets

my business. Generally speaking most business in the travel are good.

But if you have bad experiences no one makes you go back there or give

them your business in the future.

Bus as many have said, including myself, YOUR VACATION will only be as

fun as YOU make it. If you had a bad vacation it normally is your fault not

the customer service.

Missing ports is not always something ccl can control but customer service is what could come up when the guest trys to talk to pursers office, it is sometimes hard to tell someone that missing the port is not the co fault and get them to understand this with out getting mad. That said i still feel ccl needs to work on thier customer service.:)

Only the whiners throw tantrums.....and only the whiners haven't read the terms and conditions about missed ports.

That's why they whine... If they had taken the time to read the contract to which they agreed, there'd be no moaning and groaning about it.

Only the whiners throw tantrums.....and only the whiners haven't read the terms and conditions about missed ports.

That's why they whine... If they had taken the time to read the contract to which they agreed' date=' there'd be no moaning and groaning about it.[/quote']

The whiners would find something else to whine about.

When people threaten "to leave" Carnival...or any other business...because of "poor customer service"....meaning they would "want compensation for a missed cruise"...or in the "fruit basket" sample above....the business is probably better off to lose these people as customers.

I mean, if their demands were met the business would have to compensate other people as well...and since a business in not a non-profit....these are not the kind of customers a business would like.

I was thinking in terms of my own business...and how I just dropped a large number of clients because servicing them takes more out of me than it puts in.

Virtually all are exempt from US taxes.
Good to know...I was under the impression that since the company is HQ'd out of Miami that somehow they had to pay US taxes...

Sorry, I don't see the connection between customer service and missing a port.
You do not have the entitlement mindset that people constantly show on this board. Again, is the solution to this entitlement mindset is to display the itinerary terms in a more visible manner vs burying it with hundreds of other terms?

Another sub-point I wanted to make. To my understanding fares have way down over the past few years, is that correct? I also hear people say the customer service has gone down as well...But with it being subjective, without examples it hard to determine what they mean.

That's why they whine... If they had taken the time to read the contract to which they agreed' date=' there'd be no moaning and groaning about it[/b'].

Not necessarily, just because a person agrees to something,

doesn't mean that they will always like it and won't complain about it.;)

I see so many people complaining that they're not being refunded for missed ports or other reasons. I'm sure these people are complaining to their friends and family telling how they missed a port. I assume these people would think it would be a better business model for CCL to compensate and/or give more freebies even though the fare would be higher.

Keeping this very broad to get different insights...

Why? To pay people who can't or won't read their cruise contract to go to school?

And what do you think these people need to be compensated for? Excursions are not included in the fare.

I haven't been on a Carnival Cruise yet, so I can't comment on service. What I can comment on is this...those that are unhappy getting $20, will be unhappy at $40, at $60, at $100...they'll be unhappy until Carnival refunds the entire cruise. And then? They'll do one of two things: a) come onto a forum or go to their friends and boast about how they "beat the system" or b) still complain about how their cruise was "ruined" by the missed port and Carnival tried to buy them out.

People who complain and expect something for it will never be happy. I can tell you right now, if I miss one of my ports, I will be disappointed. I'm a planner, I like when things go according to my plan. BUT I will take that $20 and I will buy myself a couple drinks and enjoy the sea :) I won't complain more than a "well that sucks." Which I believe I'd be entitled to ;)

Why? To pay people who can't or won't read their cruise contract to go to school?

And what do you think these people need to be compensated for? Excursions are not included in the fare.

Read or reread the entire thread...

I haven't been on a Carnival Cruise yet, so I can't comment on service. What I can comment on is this...those that are unhappy getting $20, will be unhappy at $40, at $60, at $100...they'll be unhappy until Carnival refunds the entire cruise. And then? They'll do one of two things: a) come onto a forum or go to their friends and boast about how they "beat the system" or b) still complain about how their cruise was "ruined" by the missed port and Carnival tried to buy them out.

People who complain and expect something for it will never be happy. I can tell you right now, if I miss one of my ports, I will be disappointed. I'm a planner, I like when things go according to my plan. BUT I will take that $20 and I will buy myself a couple drinks and enjoy the sea :) I won't complain more than a "well that sucks." Which I believe I'd be entitled to ;)

The sense of entitlement is also subjective. Some people think $20 for a missed port is too much money, on the other end of the spectrum, people who get a full refund would still want $200 off there next cruise. Just curious to see where individuals are on this scale. Apparently the majority of the posters think either $20 is fine or too much for a missed port. Therefore the potential solution would be for ccl to better display the itinerary terms...

I agree, but...

There will still be the "ones" that think saying that is

crossing the line and to think you are entitled to that..oh my:rolleyes:

Read or reread the entire thread...

Not necessary. You asked a question. I don't think a raise in fare is needed if they don't know where to go, or where to look, for an OBC for a missed port.

These are usually the same people that don't know where their debarkation tags are.

Regarding the more abstract concept of "customer service" (not just handling customer complaints) there are some things that are just undeniably true. When business is down (or subject to deflationary pressure) companies turn to cost cutting to remain competitive. Since cost cutting affects labor as well as material items, service is most certainly affected... which on a cruise might mean longer waits for a drink, less attention from your room steward, slower service in the dining room, etc. Carnival, like every other company during the past year, is trying to find the correct balance between lowering cost and sustaining quality.

So... the more interesting questions to me are how much cost cutting will break their business (i.e. at what what point will cruisers start to reject the quality of service offered)?, and are enough customers willing to pay more than deeply discounted prices to sustain previous levels of service?

That old adage, "you get what you pay for," is as true here as anywhere else. I'm not looking for Carnival to convert to a luxury line but I would like to be confident, even in this economic climate, that my next Carnival cruise will be of the same quality as my previous Carnival cruise.

I must be really lucky! We have absolutely no desire to see anything change on CCL. We get what we pay for and we have reasonable expectations when we book our cruises.

In fact, CCL went above and beyond when something did go awry on our first cruise. We had overslept and missed our excursion. When I went to the Purser's Desk to inquire about possibly catching up to the tour or something, they simply refunded our ticket price. I didn't ask for the refund and it was clearly our fault! (There's something you don't hear much from the complainers!)

On our 3rd cruise, they upgraded us (2 side-by-side rooms) to balcony suites for FREE on the Inspiration. Thanks UB (at the time).

So, CCL has earned some "plus" points with us. I have no desire to pay more money in my fares to compensate for the demands of other pax.

I see so many people complaining that they're not being refunded for missed ports or other reasons. I'm sure these people are complaining to their friends and family telling how they missed a port. I assume these people would think it would be a better business model for CCL to compensate and/or give more freebies even though the fare would be higher.

Keeping this very broad to get different insights...

NutsAboutGolf,

Carnival Corporation owns several cruise lines that guarantee the level of service you are suggesting and each cruise line operates with it's own policies and procedures for given circumstances. Carnival Cruise Line built the corporation that purchased all of the cruise lines under Carnival Corp umbrella, so it's safe to say their business model is sound. It's hard for me to argue against or come up with alternative strategies to disprove a proven concept. I can see where disappointed cruisers may think it's a bad business model, but obviously they're wrong; just look at Carnival's numbers compared to other brands within Carnival Corp and outside of Carnival Corp.

Wow. This has been something to read. I love CCL and I love their prices. We have had excellent service each time. Just because you pay more money for your cruise wouldn't mean that you will get better service. Hello... People need to relax!!

I must be really lucky! We have absolutely no desire to see anything change on CCL. We get what we pay for and we have reasonable expectations when we book our cruises.

In fact, CCL went above and beyond when something did go awry on our first cruise. We had overslept and missed our excursion. When I went to the Purser's Desk to inquire about possibly catching up to the tour or something, they simply refunded our ticket price. I didn't ask for the refund and it was clearly our fault! (There's something you don't hear much from the complainers!)

On our 3rd cruise, they upgraded us (2 side-by-side rooms) to balcony suites for FREE on the Inspiration. Thanks UB (at the time).

So, CCL has earned some "plus" points with us. I have no desire to pay more money in my fares to compensate for the demands of other pax.

Yup -- our experience has also been terrific.

I feel they do not need to raise rates for "better customer service". People respond to how they are treated. If you treat someone terrible of course you are going to get bad customer service. Demanding things can be done in a pleasant manner. Remember you catch more bees with honey then viniger". Why should we have to pay for that.

The vast majority of what I see as customer complaints on customer service on this board is not really a customer service issue, per se. It appears to be a lack of understanding policy by the customer more than anything. I can see it as a customer service issue if not handled well by the company when trying to explain that policy but it then is back on the customer since in a lot of cases the customer just plain and simply believe they they are entitled to something regardless of company policy and whether they knew those polices ahead of time or not.

I have been extremely pleased with the customer service on Carnival. I think when compared to the overall customer service in the United States it is excellent. They need to always be mindful of the complaints to watch for trends but I think they are currently doing a great job.

I, like others here, have never experienced any "customer service" problems or issues in 68 cruises on Carnival ships nor on the phone with them directly.

I think most "complaints" are due to a complete lack of understanding of the nature of cruising and not taking the time the read, review and understand the passenger ticket contract/terms and conditions. Also, not bothering to read "Know before you go" - or the Welcome Aboard info...ALL available on Carnival's website.

They don't read the documents they print or receive in the mail...nor do they bother reading the legal notices on the website. They don't print off or read the invoice emailed to them with ALL information about the price of their cruise, the due date for final payment, the taxes and fees, etc. Don't read the important information on the Carnival Capers delivered daily to their cabin.

They don't spend any time researching around the web garnering information on cruises, what to expect, what can happen, what others have experienced.

Anytime we leave the comfort and safety of our homes, we are at risk of "something" happening or going awry. The trick is to KNOW that nothing runs smoothly - ever...and have an idea what to do.

Onboard, remember that your cabin steward is not your personal servant...nor a slave to your every wish. Know that the waitstaff has more than your table to wait upon.... Weather can be bad, seas can be rough, ports can be missed, high seas can make for uncomfortable cruises - and sometimes nausea, shore excursions get cancelled. Your steak in the dining room might not be cooked to your liking......but they'll be glad to get you another.

When calling them, remember you are one of thousands who call everyday...sometimes they are very busy...sometimes you have to be on hold.

If there is a problem onboard, see the Purser's desk....approach in a civil manner.

If there is a billing problem, fix it ON the ship. Don't wait until you get home...

READ the rules on the type of fare you have purchased....then, don't call asking them to make an exception in your case.

Protect yourself and your belongings with Travel Insurance....don't expect them to make an exception in your case if you miss the ship, have to leave early or your suitcase gets ruined.....

- Do you think CCL should raise rates for better customer service?

I think that's a logically flawed question. It's based on a presumption that rasing rates would magically produce "better" customer service.

I think Carnival is a capitalist business in a competitve market and will adjust it's policies and raise/lower prices as needed to maximize it's profit.

Archived