Newport, RI -- Mansions, Cliff Walk and Transportation Questions

MalibuCA

First of all, Happy Holidays to Everyone!

My husband and I will be in Newport on the Crystal Symphony on October 10, 2010. I noticed that the Annual International Octoberfest will be in Newport that weekend, so please take that into consideration when answering my questions.

1. CLIFF WALK QUESTION: Most guidebooks and CC postings refer to the "start" of Cliff Walk as Memorial Blvd. and ending south of there (the easier part ending at Ruggles near The Breakers.) At risk of asking what seems to me may be a foolish question, are there any rules that make the Cliff Walk only one-way, from north to south? I would like to visit The Breakers as soon as we hit the tender dock, and then, walk Cliff Walk from there northbound and ending at either Naragansett or Memorial. Is there any reason why we could not do that? Is the Cliff Walk reasonably flat in the areas that I plan to walk?

2. TRANSPORTATION QUESTION: Are taxis readily available everywhere near the mansions so that we could get a ride from Cliff Walk to Marble House or to the harborfront and tender dock? Even with the Oktoberfest going on?

3. TRANSPORTATION QUESTION: Are taxis waiting at the tender dock when we arrive to take us to The Breakers? Even with Oktoberfest going on?

4. TRANSPORTATION QUESTION: Will it be possible to get on the bus instead of taxis if we choose to do that (yes, even with Oktoberfest going on?)

5. GENERAL SIGHTSEEING AGENDA QUESTION: My plan is to visit The Breakers first. Second, walk Cliff Walk. Third, visit Marble House. Fourth, explore the Newport Harbor Waterfront area. Is it reasonable to do all of this in one day (ship is in port 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., and we do need to tender?) I definitely want to visit The Breakers and walk part of Cliff Walk. In the event that we do not have time to visit both Marble House and the harborfront area, which is the "must see" between them? Is there a mansion other than Marble House that would be the "must see" second to The Breakers?

Thank you so much for your advice. I can't wait to get to Newport!

Shelley:)

Q, CLIFF WALK :... Most guidebooks and CC postings refer to the "start" of Cliff Walk as Memorial Blvd. and ending south of there (the easier part ending at Ruggles near The Breakers.) At risk of asking what seems to me may be a foolish question, are there any rules that make the Cliff Walk only one-way, from north to south? I would like to visit The Breakers as soon as we hit the tender dock, and then, walk Cliff Walk from there northbound and ending at either Naragansett or Memorial. Is there any reason why we could not do that? Is the Cliff Walk reasonably flat in the areas that I plan to walk?...

A: There is no restriction in walking direction on CW; it is NOT one way. I think the start is at the north end because of the abundance of parking nearby and the ease of walking on the paved portion of CW. There are stairs and if walking south to north there is a gentle downhill section as you get closer to Memorial Blvd.

Q1, TRANSPORTATION:... Are taxis readily available everywhere near the mansions so that we could get a ride from Cliff Walk to Marble House or to the harborfront and tender dock? Even with the Oktoberfest going on?...

A1: I'm not aware of any taxi stands near the mansions. I'm sure you could arrange to be picked up when the ride back is needed.

Q2, TRANSPORTATION:... Are taxis waiting at the tender dock when we arrive to take us to The Breakers? Even with Oktoberfest going on?...

Q3, TRANSPORTATION: ...Will it be possible to get on the bus instead of taxis if we choose to do that (yes, even with Oktoberfest going on?...

A2 & A3: Since there is a very limited area near the tender dock for loading and unloading, and buses occupy that area, your best bet would be to walk from the tender dock to the nearby Newport Transportation Center to get a bus or a taxi. The NTC is located one block north of the tender dock on America's Cup Ave. I don't think that the Oktoberfest visitors use the public transportation enough to cause any problem. Visitors normally arrive by car and walk the center of Newport.

Q, GENERAL SIGHTSEEING AGENDA: My plan is to visit The Breakers first. Second, walk Cliff Walk. Third, visit Marble House. Fourth, explore the Newport Harbor Waterfront area. Is it reasonable to do all of this in one day (ship is in port 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., and we do need to tender?) I definitely want to visit The Breakers and walk part of Cliff Walk. In the event that we do not have time to visit both Marble House and the harborfront area, which is the "must see" between them? Is there a mansion other than Marble House that would be the "must see" second to The Breakers?...

A: If you do CW after the Breakers, you will be walking way from MH. The distance from the Breakers to MH is about 1 mile. You may want to consider Breakers > MH > CW > Newport Harbor front. You can not access CW from MH. From MH turn north on Bellevue Ave and then turn east at Marine Ave which has access to CW. Things to consider: lunch – there are not fast food eateries close by; transportation; what shape are you in; any walking difficulties; some mansions offer self guided tours. I think your plan is doable, but you would have factor in time for lunch and waits for taxis/buses and tendering time (10-12 minutes ex loading/unloading). Alternative strategy: tender in early, if the mansions are not open yet, do CW first and then reorder you visits. If time becomes a problem, I would drop the tour of MH. If you find yourself with time on your hands, why not visit St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church (1852), 70 Church St, where Jacqueline Lee Bouvier and John F. Kennedy were married; this would be an easy walk from the tender dock.

Here is the RI transit home page:

http://www.ripta.com/

A bus route #67 out & in bound is the schedule to use.

SBtS

hello

i live in Newport, you are tendered to Perrotti park, this is the where you will pick up your shore excursion bus. It is also across the street from our "main street" Long Wharf has many shops and it is also where you can grab a walking tour on Newport. i can recomend a cab/tour from a native newport who will take you around and give you a personal tour of our city. he would meet you at the park.

as for the cliff walk from the park it is a long walk. Your best bet would be to start on the memorial blvd side this is the official start...and will take you behind all of the mansions. it is been upgraded recently and most of it is paved.

mansions: go to newportpreservation society web site for info, i have my favorites: Breakers;Marble House;Rosecliff;Elms(has some very pretty grounds), also in the area is Salve Regina University, most of the buildings are old mansions. walking along bellvue ave will show you the fronts of most mansions some of which are private homes, if you are interested there is one mansion that is still a private home,but they give tours (some say it is haunted) Bellcourt castle..

The October fest is less than a mile from the park,when you exit the park and go right past the hotel you will bein the middleof bannister and bowen's wharf (shopping, boat tours of the harbor and good eats) if you want a good meal on the harbot try the black pearl or th wharf pub, from here walk past to the Newport Yachting center, this is where OCTOBER FEST is...small admisson fee...good German bands,beer and brats...leave the fest and continue heading right to thames st...more shopping and eats.....look for RED PARROT, great menu, look for small stores with souveniers, and mny other shops, want nice outside IRISH pub head to OBRIENS.......from there head down to TEAM ONE for all things sailing....

if you need more info please just say the word....there is so much more to do, i have lived here for 6 years but it has been my families destination for vacations since child hood......thanks

• 3 months later...
hello

i live in Newport, you are tendered to Perrotti park, this is the where you will pick up your shore excursion bus. It is also across the street from our "main street" Long Wharf has many shops and it is also where you can grab a walking tour on Newport. i can recomend a cab/tour from a native newport who will take you around and give you a personal tour of our city. he would meet you at the park.

as for the cliff walk from the park it is a long walk. Your best bet would be to start on the memorial blvd side this is the official start...and will take you behind all of the mansions. it is been upgraded recently and most of it is paved.

mansions: go to newportpreservation society web site for info, i have my favorites: Breakers;Marble House;Rosecliff;Elms(has some very pretty grounds), also in the area is Salve Regina University, most of the buildings are old mansions. walking along bellvue ave will show you the fronts of most mansions some of which are private homes, if you are interested there is one mansion that is still a private home,but they give tours (some say it is haunted) Bellcourt castle..

The October fest is less than a mile from the park,when you exit the park and go right past the hotel you will bein the middleof bannister and bowen's wharf (shopping, boat tours of the harbor and good eats) if you want a good meal on the harbot try the black pearl or th wharf pub, from here walk past to the Newport Yachting center, this is where OCTOBER FEST is...small admisson fee...good German bands,beer and brats...leave the fest and continue heading right to thames st...more shopping and eats.....look for RED PARROT, great menu, look for small stores with souveniers, and mny other shops, want nice outside IRISH pub head to OBRIENS.......from there head down to TEAM ONE for all things sailing....

if you need more info please just say the word....there is so much more to do, i have lived here for 6 years but it has been my families destination for vacations since child hood......thanks

We will be in Newport in mid-May and are interested in your tour guide recommendation, please. One of us is mobility challenged and we would like to see as much as possible with little walking. Thanks.

When we were there in the fall (Oct 2009) we walked from the tender dock to the main info center (left from the dock) and picked up a day pass for the local transit bus. We took the bus to the Breakers, checked that out, then continued on the cliff walk for what I think was about 2-3miles? We then walked up a road to the nearest bus station and got the transit bus back to the pier area where there were many many shops and restaurants. It was a great cheap way to see Newport. Beautiful place!

Archived