Handicap Accessible

kdep2002

My wife uses a walker and is really wanting to get to the sand and the beach. Does anybody know if any beaches offer handicapped accessibilty? i.e. platforms, etc to make it easy to access the beach. More specifically, we are heading to the Western Caribbean in about a month to Grand Caymen, Belize, Isla Roaton and Cozumel. Thanks for any input/advise in advance.

If I remember correctly, 7 Mile Beach in GC is accessible w/o any steps. In Cozumel, all the beaches we have been to are accessible without steps. We have been to Paradise Beach and the beach at Cochi.

I am sure she will be able to get to some fabulous beaches.

Have fun!!

I haven't seen handicapped ramps at any beaches....most are narrow and the sand is a fairly firm sort...easy to walk on ...not real "sloggy" like the Outer Banks and other East Coast beaches.

If she's able to walk, (and it sounds like she can) she shouldn't have too much of a problem.

I'm disabled and I've not found any beaches/sand that can be easily accessible with a walker. The sand is far too difficult to maneuver with a walker, and she could easily fall down when the wheels get bogged down in the sand. You can look into a manual wheelchair that's made specifically for use on a beach. But I would never attempt to use a walker in the sand---far too dangerous.

For those with a physical disability, handicap, or injury that limits mobility, traveling to the Caribbean can be very difficult. While most cruise lines follow the guidelines of the ADA, compliance it is not something you will find in the places you are visiting, especially beaches. Any efforts to provide easy accessibility will most likely be shopping venues.

You might try checking with some of the ocean front resorts at your Ports of Call. Many of them offer “day passes” and some of them are handicap accessible. They will be more likely to have easy access to a beach than a beach club or public beach. Good luck.

Archived