QM2 in Hamburg

twoatsea

Boarding the QM2 in Hamburg in May. I realize that I can go to the Port of Call board, but I'm thinking there may be some folks on this board who have cruised from Hamburg, yet don't frequent the ports board. Just interested in suggestions on which hotels are good options under $225. Also any suggestions as to which area of the city is best for transferring to the ship? We will be arriving in Hamburg by train. Thanks

Hello,

it's a good idea to board QM2 in Hamburg.

At first I have the question at which date you will board. May 8th for the cruise to Norway and Danmark or May 13th for the westbound crossing.

For boarding on May 8th I suggest to book your hotel very fast, because there's a big event, the birthday of the port and many visitors will be there. More about the event you can find at http://www.hafengeburtstag.de/Content_en/start_e.htm

I really can't suggest a hotel, because I never used one because I'm too near for using one, but too far for having the best information. I heard that the "Hotel Hafen Hamburg" which is located near river Elbe is good and has a good sight. Else all hotels in the city center of Hamburg are good for going to the ship on embarkation day.

I suggest to take a taxi (cab) for going to QM2, because there's no good public transport to the pier.

Please ask if you have further questions.

Frank

Thank you Frank for your help, especially with the pier transfer. We will board/sail on May 13. While searching for hotels, I am seeing the repercussions of the celebration! The Park Hyatt costs E860 for the one night of the 12th! I'll keep working on it.

Hi Frank

I will be in Hamburg on the 8th & 13th and was wondering the craft fair mentioned in the link is that close to where the QM2 will be docked. If so might do that instead of an excursion and do an excursion on the 13th.

Thanks

Hello,

unfortunately I have to tell you, that the fair will be during the port festival from May 7th to May 9th. It will be not far away from the pier, but I don't know if this is what you are expected. The fair will be a mix of snackbars, bars for getting beer and other alcohol, Ferris wheels and maybe also some booths where crafts are sold.

Interesting are the events which are done on river Elbe like the dancing tugs and the parades of the ships.

For the 13th I recommend the "Ballinstadt" (http://www.ballinstadt.de, Click on the Britsh flag left above for English language) which is the Emigration Museum of Hamburg).

I hope I could help you. Don't hesitate to ask more questions if you want.

Bye Frank

Please try the currywurst and pommes frittes when in Hamburg which i enjoyed when living in Berlin 1981 (not the army), it could become an addiction. Also fg-hb i was press ganged into playing for Berlin gegen ;) Hamburg in the great sport of darts whilst working in the wonderful free-spirited city of Berlin..before the wall come down.an amazing time and place.

Fred then 11 Schildhornstrasse, Steglitz, Berlin.

Archived