Handicap accessible

Jeanny

Totally dumb question here... our cruise isn't until July 2011, just doing research on things to do on the islands with my mom (83) who will be in a wheelchair most of the time. She can walk short distances with a cane or her roll-ator.

Any suggestions? She can't zipline or anything (haha), but I'd like to do the VNP, but not sure how accessible it will be for her. We'll have a large group with us ~ probably 12-14 people, (I hate to "dump" her on some of our group while we go & do more active things, waterfalls, etc). We'd like to rent a couple of mini-vans for RTH, but not too sure if she'll get carsick on the curvy road, etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jeanny :-)

Jeanny, how sweet for you to be concerned about your old ma! You might find more particular information on the special interest board than you will here (disabled cruising), although there are several regular posters who speak of being in a chair.

Does your mother usually get motion sickness when traveling in a car? If this is a concern for RTH, are you concerned about her getting seasick as well?

I can only speak for myself and DD who were there a couple of weeks ago. We neither get seasick nor car sick and we did the RTH in a big Jeep.

Thanks Phyllis~

no, she doesn't usually get carsick. We were on the Carnival Triumph 2 years ago and she was fine. I'm just concerned as a lot of people have mentioned they were effected by all the twists and turns on the RTH.. I won't mention the turns to her and will make sure she sits on the road side of the vehicle.

thanks for the suggestion about the disability forum, I'm headed there too

Jeanny

Sorry, maybe James was on a different RTH than most everyone else, but that road IS curvy and people not usually prone to car sickness CAN get it. I know from experience, as my DW got sick, something she NEVER had done before, and we had a convertible. The road is extremely curvy, windy with several places only one car at a time can go by. If you go and don't stop much, there is a distinct possibility that one can get sick. You can try, and if it does happen,. there are many places to stop, get out and walk around. It is a magnificent drive though,and if you decided to try it, let her take a motion sickness pill that AM, before you go. There are many stops along the way where she can get out and make her way around. There are hikes and such where others can do things if she doesn't mind sitting around, just taking in the scenery.

Archived