Cruising with a carseat

lmsscs

We are just back from the Emerald Princess Carribean cruise. I did a bit of research before leaving about whether the bring the carseat or not. I decided to, but I wanted to pass on my experiences since it seems they are different from what I read on here.

I was glad to have had my carseat as we used it on the plane, in shuttles and tours. However my one big item to note is we did two shore excursions with Princess one in St. Maarten and the other in Ft. Lauderdale and both buses did not have seat belts. I still put DD in her carseat, but was a bit frustrated it couldn't be secured to the seat itself. From other posts I read it sounded like I wasn't going to have the problem I incurred. We still used the carseat which helped boost up DD to be able to see out the coach windows and to keep her seated throughout the trip. Whether that was right or not I don't know for sure.

Just wanted to pass along my experience.

We chose a shuttle company that provided carseats in Ft lauderdale. If you call ahead of time, many will provide them for free. We dont take many excursions in port with the kids so we dont generally bring our carseats along with us. Too much to carry.

Actually the hotel shuttle was the one place there was a seat belt. It was the Princess shore excursions where there was a problem. We have a Pac Back to take the carseat with us which isn't a big deal since we just have the one.

Sorry you were confused. Any cruise excursion that takes place on a bus, NO car seat is needed.

Buses do not have seatbelts. So no car seats can safely be belted in. So no car seat needed on them.

Don't know why the bus companies think the laws of physics are different on a bus. But they must know something since no buses have belts.

I know it is VERY confusing trying to figure out if your cruise line excursion is going to be running a full sized bus or a small mini van. Sometimes you can find out the name of the tour company in advance and call them directly and ask what kind of vehicles they are operating. But even thats not 100% foolproof.

I have taken the car seats and then just stowed them under the bus when we ran into an excursion that was using a bus. You must have been on a popular excursion. ;)

• 1 month later...

It's not just small islands. Disney World does not have seatbelts in their Magical Express buses either and I would call Dinsey the most child friendly vacation you can take. In fact I have never been in a touring/ charter type bus that has had seatbelts. Next time i would not use the carseat without a seatbelt. That probably was more dangerous than if you didn't use one at all. Not saying you meant it that way just maybe for next time. Or use just a bottom part of the booster seat so she could see. That would probably not add to the danger of no seatbelt.

Monica

Archived