Wine and corkscrew

mercedes28

...I had a real hassel getting wine glasses so you could consider bringing your own. The other alternative is too walk out with one or two from the dining room. (not to take home but to use on board ;)) ...

We always take our own wine aboard the Princess, and we always ask our room steward to supply 4 glasses. We drink wine with friends before dinner... the used glasses are refreshed daily... never a problem.

too funny! LMAO

Is homemade wine allowed? If you can call it that....I only had to go in when it was ready for bottling.

PS- I am not flying

Hi mercedes28,

Princess is a lot less strict about bringing wine onboard, so I would definitely put both the wine and the corkscrew in my carry-on. You'll be glad you did when you see how the stevedores handle the checked baggage at the pier :eek:. As far as the homemade wine goes, Princess won't care, however you may run into problems at the border. I was told once that they will only permit commercially prepared wine across, as the homemade stuff could be "dangerous" - translation - "explosive". If I was you, I'd just wait until I'm across the border and stop at any Fred Meyer or Costco or wherever and buy wine there for about half what we pay...:rolleyes:

I have traveled many times with bottles of liquor in my checked luggage for various reasons both on an airplane and on a ship. I wrap the bottles in bubble wrap and use tape to make sure it does not come undone. I have never had a problem. Use bubble wrap in ample amounts because it works.

I have brought on my own wine in both checked and carryon luggage on all my cruises except RCCL (they prohibit all alcohol!). I usually bring on enough for one bottle a day. I bring my own corkscrew in my checked luggage. I have never had TSA open my checked luggage when going on a cruise but have had them open it when I was on other trips.

On my Alaska backpacking trip, TSA did open the bag containing my pack. I had a knife in there as well as other food preparation items including my small gas stove, minus the fuel of course, and they left that alone. It was interesting about the post saying TSA had taken their cork screw from checked luggage.

A lot of good wine these days particularly from NZ and South America comes with screw caps. They are very efficient (don't leak as cork will sometimes), don't require a cork screw and are easily resealed for the next day. I am going to concentrate on taking them on my next cruise on the Ruby.

That's a good point about the screw caps, satxdiver. Now that you mention it there are a number of Argentinean Malbecs which I enjoy that come in a screw cap. Must remember that for my next cruise, thanks!

Hi mercedes28,

Princess is a lot less strict about bringing wine onboard, so I would definitely put both the wine and the corkscrew in my carry-on. You'll be glad you did when you see how the stevedores handle the checked baggage at the pier :eek:. As far as the homemade wine goes, Princess won't care, however you may run into problems at the border. I was told once that they will only permit commercially prepared wine across, as the homemade stuff could be "dangerous" - translation - "explosive". If I was you, I'd just wait until I'm across the border and stop at any Fred Meyer or Costco or wherever and buy wine there for about half what we pay...:rolleyes:

Thanks, never considered crossing the border with my favorite home made wine. Oh well I guess we will stop and get some in the US.

Last year we went on Star out of Seattle. We found some great local Washington wines to take on board with us. We didn't try to fly with wines from home - weight limits were a consideration. (Plus, I had my bourbon in a plastic travel bottle already packed!) It was great to try out some of the wines from Washington. So much so that we now search for them at larger wine shops. (I'm in a small town in the NE GA mtns.) We had no problem with carrying on the wine & also some beer for dh. I don't really remember where I had my corkscrew, but we did have our own. Our steward gave us fresh glasses daily so we were able to enjoy our libations in our room & on our balcony as we desired. We still had drinks from the ship. We met friends for drinks one night; had beers with pizza one day for lunch; and drinks at the shows so the ship did get our $ toward their liquor %. Enjoy your cruise!

I thought you weren't allowed to take your own alcoholic drinks on board. I'm sure I read this on the Princess web site.

Hello Geggie! Princess' website states...

We kindly request that you do not bring alcoholic beverages (
other than wine and/or champagne
) onboard for consumption.

Alcoholic beverages sourced from shore-side and brought onboard, no matter where sourced, will be collected at the gangway for safekeeping and will be delivered to the passenger's stateroom on the last day of the cruise.

A member of the ship's security staff will be at the gangway to assist passengers with the storage of their alcoholic beverage purchases. The only exception to the above rule, is that passengers are permitted to bring one bottle of wine and/or champagne per person purchased in a shoreside location onboard. If the wine and/or champagne is brought to the dining room for consumption, a $15.00 per bottle corkage fee will be applied to the passenger's shipboard account. We prefer that passengers bring wine/champagne no larger than 750ml, however, magnums are acceptable. Wine in a box is not encouraged.

Passengers are also permitted to consume the wine and/or champagne in the privacy of their stateroom only, but it may not be brought into any public lounge for consumption.

Please note that any wines and champagnes supplied from the ship's stock to passengers would not be subject to a corkage fee.

Archived