Using debt cards on the ship? Do you have to call your bank?

anades

I ususally use my credit cards on port days (for the added protection that credit cards offer). So I made a few calls today to tell my bank that I will be traveling.

I take my debt card to use on the ship, to get cash (if I need extra beyond what I bring). Do I need to call the bank for my debt cards also?... or does the charge just show-up as Princes Cruise Ship Inc. and look like a charge made in the USA?

It is probably a good idea to call them, but keep in mind Princess will put a large hold on your account to be sure they can get their money,

Very good point! Especially if you have bills that are automatically deducted from this account, it can be an issue getting funds released for your bills.

used my debit card on every cruise I've taken. i just transfer the amount I expect to spend and then some - tend to go over - and never had a problem with either the hold or the bank. i transfer it before I go and if there is a problem I can transfer some more on the internet on the ship. can only be done if you have savings and checking linked.

used my debit card on every cruise I've taken. i just transfer the amount I expect to spend and then some - tend to go over

Hi kasfun,

What do you mean tend to go over?:D We always go over. Especially on this last cruise this month with our 2 sons (25 and 21 years). But to be fair they kept extra spending to a minimal and coughed up the cash when we arrived home. :D Whew!!! Thank goodness.

Berwyn

Whether you have a debit or credit card, it's always a good idea to call your card's bank and let them know your travel dates and countries you're visiting. Some banks will freeze card usage if they suspect fraud, something you want to avoid so you should alert them that there might be charges from outside the U.S.

I've used my DC on my past 3 cruises with no problem.

Read your Cruise contract as it pertains to cash deposits. That is the amount that they will put a hold on when you swipe the card at the beginning. If you come close to a certain threshold, they charge your card a percentage of the hold at that time. I have had this done to me many times. (Bar Bill get's too high:eek:)

I used it @ the ATM and it is drawn as a US bank.

Archived