Snorkel gear help

hlb76

I would really like to purchase some snorkel gear for your upcoming cruise. We do like to snorkel and normally go with a company to take us so we use there equipment. This year we are not doing this yet we are making a few beach stops. I know the snorkeling wont be as great as if we went out by boat but still fun to look and see what we can see. Anyone have any suggestions on a good brand or place to buy gear. I have looked at a few websites and prices vary so much from $20- $120. I dont want top of the line by all means but I dont want dollar store quality either. Something mid range will do fine for our little bit of novice snorkeling. I just think buying our own will save us in the long from from renting it at each stop for $10 and up.

Any suggestions will help greatly.

I'd say the $20 gear is good enough. I bought a cheap set of Body Glove Mask & Snorkels 2 years ago and they still work fine. Just order a set and try them out and if you are happy with them get more. They are all made in the same factory in China anyway;)

Don't know if there are dive shops where you live but this is something you might want to go and try on in person to be sure that things are comfortable and fit you well as opposed to ordering on line. And this from someone who bought all her Christmas gifts on line. If any of you wear glasses I would suggest getting corrective lenses put in. And there are travel flippers you can buy which work as well as the big ones and are much smaller. We usually carry a mask and snorkel but go back and forth with the flippers. But the travel ones really help- the full size ones are big!

We purchased all of us (4) equipment over the last few years. DW & I have

had ours for over 12. But we purchased ours for a few reasons. One was we

did not like the idea of using someone mouth pieces. Plus we wanted better

quality masks that fit better and had side glass vs just front glass.

We spend about $75 - 100 for flippers ( I have a size 15), snorkel, nice mask,

vest and bags. Its well worth the extra $$ in the long run. By all means it

is not the top of the line. But it makes snorkeling so MUCH more enjoyable.

I would really like to purchase some snorkel gear for your upcoming cruise.

Aww, that's so sweet of you to buy us all snorkel gear for our upcoming cruises!!! :D

I was looking at the snorkel in one of the gadget catalogs (either Hammacher Schlemmer or Brookstone, I forget which) and I think it is around $20-30, but it claims to not let any water in when a wave splashes or you go deep enough that it is submerged. Buying their mask was another $20-30, though, so I was thinking of getting a cheap one from some Web site that had some on clearance.

Like some have said, do you self a favor and go to a dive shop for the mask. In a matter of minutes they will fit a mask to your face. The snorkel and fins are less important and more universial. You can choose to purchase the mask at the dive shop or write down the model and find it online for about half the cost. The problem with sams club or body glove is not that it is garbage, but whether or not it fits you. If it fits, by all means go with the cheap set. If not you will appreciate spending the extra $10-$20 to buy a mask that does not leak. I have gone down both roads and ended up visiting a scuba shop to find a mask that fit and then purchasing online. I could not be happier. Tusa and Deep See are two pretty good mask lines. As for fins the Deep See Aqua Glides are great fins and pack easy. You can pick them up for around $25. They are open heal so are adjustable for any foot size between 9-13. Snorkels; there are a wide variety of styles and prices. You will be glad to have your own gear. It will pay for itself in a couple years and you will not have to share someone elses spit.

I'd say the $20 gear is good enough. I bought a cheap set of Body Glove Mask & Snorkels 2 years ago and they still work fine. Just order a set and try them out and if you are happy with them get more. They are all made in the same factory in China anyway;)

We got a Body Glove set too, off of Amazon.com, and we haven't had any issues with ours either. Just be sure to get the dry snorkel. We don't own fins, however, I tried to snorkel with them once and it was a pain in the butt. Plus packing them sounds like another pain to me.

OK,,,A good mask/snorkel is an INVESTMENT. Get a pair for you and your wife that fit and do not leak water. Kids dont really care. Masks with surgical grade type seals are more comfortable and in the long run will make your time under water better. If not you will be letting water out every few minutes. A snorkel is the same,,,soft rubber mouth piece is better,,also a 1 way valve for air and water,,,some have a small purge valve and that makes blowing water out much better. The head strap is also a big possible problem area,,some have straps from hell and some are great.You get what you pay for. We always take our own mask/snorkel and rent fins if we need them. Wrap your mask/snorkel in a towel and stick it in a BACKPACK. You can carry a bottle of water and extra sun screen in it and it is the best way to go on an excursion.

I did contact our one and only dive shop in town and of course they are moving locations so are appt only now. We are going to try to work out something with them. I would love to get a good set. I think they are worth it and in the long run we will love them. I just at this point dont have the funds to buy us all good pairs. I could get one nice one now for sure. I just hate to buy cheapo ones just to replace them. Our dive shop on there web site says they rent so maybe that might be a good option for this year and work on affording good sets by next cruise. I just wish I would not of put this off until now. My mom said she would buy the kids gear for x-mas but did not :( So we are back to square one.

I just bought my husband and I snorkels from a dive shop near 50th and Penn in Minneapolis. Figure we'll use the mask and fins provided with our snorkel excursion, but wanted to make sure the mouthpiece was clean!

Good luck!

Peg

My sister and I got our snorkel gear from Sams Club last summer. They were $40 each, Body Glove brand, and came with flippers, mask, snorkel, and carry bag. We like them just fine =)

We bought the same sets here in Canada at Costco and love them. Ours were about $40 each the kids were $30. They came with snorkels (that have the back stop valve), fins, masks and a nice carrying bag. They are MUCH better than anything we have rented while away.

I will do a little more searching online tomorrow. I think I will get 2 pairs to start off with. It will not be fun sharing but I hate to buy 4 pairs and not be happy.

For the price they rent buy yours as you say " good stuff" and have them for along time. If snorkeling is your thing pack less bring your own equipement.

I bought body glove sets at Costco before our last cruise. The beaches charge about 15 pp. per day. At a cost of $29.00 it was worth it. Also it skeeves me to know others had their outh on the gear. Having your own is worth the peace of mind

My sister and I got our snorkel gear from Sams Club last summer. They were $40 each, Body Glove brand, and came with flippers, mask, snorkel, and carry bag. We like them just fine =)

My dh and I have these sets, too - they are great! Our Sam's also had a Body Glove women's set which works great for me. The mouthpiece and mask are slightly smaller. I've always had trouble with snorkels being too big for my mouth and really painful - this is the first set I've ever used that didn't hurt!

Lots of good advice here. I would like to recommend staying away from the fish eye mask. They are hard to clear. I bought my gear at Sports Authority. If you have one you might want to check them out. You can try them on the gear before you buy them. Make sure the mask fits snug but not to tight and make sure your fins are right for your feet. Some fins will irritate your toes. Enjoy your snorkeling.

I have a small face and had a hard time finding a mask that fit. The first two always let water in so I didn't enjoy snorkeling. I did buy those at dive shops. The third mask I bought at a dive shop in St. John, USVI and fits great.

Archived