More on drinks packages

Ozza Alf

Thanks for the information.

I think the boy/girl cards would be great for our girls, as usually I am saying no to mock cocktails etc as they are too expensive, but with this, you pay up front.

Do the girls need one each, or can you purchase one booklet of 20 coupons?

Our girls are really looking forward to the kids club as on the Veendam in Alaska they had such a great time.

Not sure what my hubby and I will do re drink packages, as neither of us really drink much.

Mal NZ

I think the boy/girl cards would be great for our girls, as usually I am saying no to mock cocktails etc as they are too expensive, but with this, you pay up front.

Our girls are really looking forward to the kids club as on the Veendam in Alaska they had such a great time.

Not sure what my hubby and I will do re drink packages, as neither of us really drink much.

Mal NZ

I have just spoken to my travel agent about the X1 and J2 for our 14 day Costa Allegra cruise and she has been quoted $205 Aud for the X1 and $471 Aud for the J2. I worked it out to be way less than that. She said she has spoken to 3 different people and they have all told her the same amount.

Di

I have just spoken to my travel agent about the X1 and J2 for our 14 day Costa Allegra cruise and she has been quoted $205 Aud for the X1 and $471 Aud for the J2. I worked it out to be way less than that. She said she has spoken to 3 different people and they have all told her the same amount.

Di

I have just spoken to Costa direct (through Carnival Australia) and they have given me the same prices as quoted to my TA.

She said that the information that Ally provided is for passengers that have booked through the UK only.

If you book through Carnival Australia then the prices for the non-alcoholic X1 is $14.60 Aud per day and J2 is $30 Aud per day (but that still dosn't come to $471 for a 14 night cruise).

I have just spoken to Costa direct (through Carnival Australia) and they have given me the same prices as quoted to my TA.

She said that the information that Ally provided is for passengers that have booked through the UK only.

If you book through Carnival Australia then the prices for the non-alcoholic X1 is $14.60 Aud per day and J2 is $30 Aud per day (but that still dosn't come to $471 for a 14 night cruise).

Mal NZ

Hi Mal NZ

The "boysngirls cards" come in a raffle ticket type booklet in the shape of a smiley face, with a smiley face on the front. There are 10 sheets per booklet and each 1/2 sheet is a ticket. You just tear off half a sheet each time you wish to purchase a drink. You can purchase them on board at any time you like, so if you wish you can just buy one booklet to start with and then when it is finished buy another one, and so on.

Have a great trip!

Mal NZ

Hi Mal NZ

The "boysngirls cards" come in a raffle ticket type booklet in the shape of a smiley face, with a smiley face on the front. There are 10 sheets per booklet and each 1/2 sheet is a ticket. You just tear off half a sheet each time you wish to purchase a drink. You can purchase them on board at any time you like, so if you wish you can just buy one booklet to start with and then when it is finished buy another one, and so on.

Have a great trip!

To assist in whether or not you feel an X1 is worth it or not....a soft drink is €3 including service charge, that is AUD$4.76 each drink at current exchange rates. You would only have to drink three soft drinks per day to make the non alcoholic X1 pay its way....at lunch & dinner you would probably drink 3 drinks in one sitting per day, so the X1 would pay for itself in 7 days out of the 14 on board.

Some more up to date info, we returned yesterday from Dubai cruise on Luminosa. There were 5 of us in 2 cabins. We had purchased 3 x1s for myself, DH and my dad, a non alcoholic x1 for my mum who doesn't drink much alcohol and a boys and girls card for our 15 year old son.

My son was able to get cokes at dinner in the restaurant on our x1(the maitre d' told us to do this) so used his tokens for mocktails in the bars. They cost 4.25 euros plus tax so at £18 for 10 tokens its very good value. Also anyone can use the tokens so my mum could have them too.

As far as the x1 most staff did not even look at the card, and when they did they only looked at one persons, so still very lax.

Julie

I am not a Costa basher …. But I do want to inform others who may be in my situation. I have never cruised on Costa and I am excited about our upcoming cruise the end of February in Fontana. I have been cruising on RCL for the past several years and have enjoyed them and their perks for suite guest. By the way – we do always travel in a suite.

The reason we choose to travel on Costa is because there was a group traveling from our hometown going on this cruise. I have always become very active on Cruise Critic so I feel like I have always traveled with a ‘group’ but I thought if might be fun to travel with a group I knew on a smaller line.

I did not receive any discount to go with this group because I booked a suite but others did who booking standard cabins.

I read this post and printed the information about the J2 drink package and took it to my travel agent. She called Costa to see if we could get this package and Costa said we could not because we were part of a group. Remember I have never been on a group cruise and always book a suite which I didn’t get a discount on. I ask if I could leave the group and Costa said I would have to cancel and rebook with a major penalty.

I know what Costa is afraid of – I will let this whole ‘group’ use my ‘all inclusive drink package’.

My question is – Why am I being punished for going on this cruise with this group?? I would have NEVER signed up for this cruise had it not been part of a group from my hometown. I would have gone back on RCL in a suite as a diamond member with free drinks and had my wonderful Cruise Critic friends as my unofficial group.

My advice is NEVER book as part of a GROUP with Costa. Enjoy your cruise.

I am not a Costa basher …. But I do want to inform others who may be in my situation. I have never cruised on Costa and I am excited about our upcoming cruise the end of February in Fontana. I have been cruising on RCL for the past several years and have enjoyed them and their perks for suite guest. By the way – we do always travel in a suite.

The reason we choose to travel on Costa is because there was a group traveling from our hometown going on this cruise. I have always become very active on Cruise Critic so I feel like I have always traveled with a ‘group’ but I thought if might be fun to travel with a group I knew on a smaller line.

I did not receive any discount to go with this group because I booked a suite but others did who booking standard cabins.

I read this post and printed the information about the J2 drink package and took it to my travel agent. She called Costa to see if we could get this package and Costa said we could not because we were part of a group. Remember I have never been on a group cruise and always book a suite which I didn’t get a discount on. I ask if I could leave the group and Costa said I would have to cancel and rebook with a major penalty.

I know what Costa is afraid of – I will let this whole ‘group’ use my ‘all inclusive drink package’.

My question is – Why am I being punished for going on this cruise with this group?? I would have NEVER signed up for this cruise had it not been part of a group from my hometown. I would have gone back on RCL in a suite as a diamond member with free drinks and had my wonderful Cruise Critic friends as my unofficial group.

You say that you did not get any discount, did you pay the FULL price as advertised in the Costa Catalogue?

With regards to the drinks packages X1 and J2, it clearly states in the T&C that ALL passengers in thre cabin OR on the one booking reference must be the drinks package. That being said several passengers have reported here that they have been able to obtain the X1/J2 as an individual and the rest of the passengers in the cabin did not. Try calling Costa several times (as you will likely get different people on the other end). Good luck. Have you looked at the other drink packages that can be bought, once you are on board?

Ron

is there a wine list out there? I would like to see what the house wines look like.

I don't have the wine list but the wines used for the x1 on Luminosa were all Italian, 'Pasqua' brand. The white was soave, the red merlot and the rose(my favourite) was bardolino. On the wine list they all cost 18 euros a bottle.

The beer was Carlsberg.

I have no idea if different ships use different wines though.

Julie

What would the price comparison be of booking a suite on a similar cruise with RCL and Costa?

You say that you did not get any discount, did you pay the FULL price as advertised in the Costa Catalogue?

With regards to the drinks packages X1 and J2, it clearly states in the T&C that ALL passengers in thre cabin OR on the one booking reference must be the drinks package. That being said several passengers have reported here that they have been able to obtain the X1/J2 as an individual and the rest of the passengers in the cabin did not. Try calling Costa several times (as you will likely get different people on the other end). Good luck. Have you looked at the other drink packages that can be bought, once you are on board?

Ron

I have now been told by 4 different operators that if I want to purchase a X1 or J2 then everyone in the cabin must have one and that it is not and has never been possible to purchase a package for an individual and it is not possible to purchase voucher books in advance for the children. If I have a X1 or J2 the children must have the non alcohol one. Anyone can purchase vouchers at any time once on board.

I have now been told by 4 different operators that if I want to purchase a X1 or J2 then everyone in the cabin must have one and that it is not and has never been possible to purchase a package for an individual and it is not possible to purchase voucher books in advance for the children. If I have a X1 or J2 the children must have the non alcohol one. Anyone can purchase vouchers at any time once on board.

This is definitely not true, we purchased ours in November for our cruise last week. It actually tells you about the boys and girls card in the 2010 UK brochure, page 45, £18.40 advance price for 10 soft drinks of your choice. Onboard you can only buy the 20 voucher version.

Julie

Ron

I paid the same price going with this group as I could have going straight with Costa. So I received no advantage by going with the group. I did read the information and I had never booked with a group before. I was not aware that the 'group' has one booking reference. How would I know this? I am not a travel agent. My travel agent has now called four times and was last told there is no way we can get the J2 no matter how many times we call.

I hope this information helps others wanting to take advantage of the drink packages.

What would the price comparison be of booking a suite on a similar cruise with RCL and Costa?

This was a much better price than on RCL. I am not complaining about the price. I am just warning others about the group booking and the drink packages. There was no good reason for me to be on the group booking and I am being penalized for it.

This is definitely not true, we purchased ours in November for our cruise last week. It actually tells you about the boys and girls card in the 2010 UK brochure, page 45, £18.40 advance price for 10 soft drinks of your choice. Onboard you can only buy the 20 voucher version.

Julie

Very interesting. It could be that since November either the rules have changed, the staff have been briefed, or I have just been unlucky with whom I have spoken to.:(

Thanks for the info.

Will try again!

Very interesting. It could be that since November either the rules have changed, the staff have been briefed, or I have just been unlucky with whom I have spoken to.:(

Thanks for the info.

Will try again!

Further to this.

A 5th operator has told me that X1 and J2 are only available if everyone in cabin has one. I was told this is because of past abuse of the package where everyone was getting drinks on one card. I was also told that pre bookable soft drinks vouchers are available at £18.40 for 10 vouchers but they cannot be sold instead of the J2 or X1 soft drinks package (i.e. I cannot order a J2 or X1 for DW and or myself and have vouchers for the children.)

Perhaps a alcoholic voucher book may the way forward!

Further to this.

A 5th operator has told me that X1 and J2 are only available if everyone in cabin has one. I was told this is because of past abuse of the package where everyone was getting drinks on one card. I was also told that pre bookable soft drinks vouchers are available at £18.40 for 10 vouchers but they cannot be sold instead of the J2 or X1 soft drinks package (i.e. I cannot order a J2 or X1 for DW and or myself and have vouchers for the children.)

Perhaps a alcoholic voucher book may the way forward!

What a shame. I must admit that I was expecting to have to buy x1 for my son because of what I had read on here and was surprised when I could buy the vouchers instead. We actually booked through a local TA who rang up Costa on our behalf, maybe they get through to a different department with different rules.

The abuse thing is definitely true, we were actually told by the maitre'd to get out son cokes on our package in the restaurant and save the tokens.

Julie

So one person can not order a J2 because they are part of a group, but I am told I can not order J2 because I am NOT part of a group. I can preorder and pay for Boys and Girls cards, but someone else can not. I order X1 for some but not all, and others either can not order at all, or have to order for everyone.

Who is answering the phone at Costa??

Look as I have said before, the rules changed in Feb last year to take in all passengers booked on the same ticket.

Before that YOU COULD book just a single X1, while some customer service reps knew this some were unaware of the changes, and allowed a single X1 (J2)

If any Costa rep needs to see my ship board card and my wifes showing one X1, I was unable to drink because of MEDS on that cruise they are welcome.

It was changed sorely because a few, I repeat a few, passengers were buying others drinks on their single X1 cards. SO YOU HAVE THEM TO BLAME.

Archived