Seas around Scotland

mary lou

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know as a general rule about the seas, just know I'm jealous! :D

Actually DH and I crossed from John 'O Groats to Orkney in August one year, and the sea was pretty rough that day. And, I've been on various Calmac Ferries to places like Arran, Mull and Skye and in a smaller boat to wee Staffa, but those are not truly open water.

Enjoy whatever you do.

Hi estebofarr,

Well if you only have one day in Glasgow I would suggest doing the open top bus tour early in the day to give you a sense of what you want to explore further. A few 'musts' are :-

• The Glasgow School of Art
  • Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum
  • Provand's Lordship (oldest house in Glasgow, built in 1471)
  • Burrell Collection

Lots of other interesting places to visit but 1 day isn't enough to fully appreciate what the city has to offer.

Enjoy yourself.

GG

Big changes in Glasgow city centre, large new shopping arcade, changes to George Square layout to name but a few. A lot of new development along the Clydeside also.

If you were in Edinburgh during that time it would have probably been the Edinburgh Fringe and Edinburgh Festival. Best thing to do is get off the ship as early as possible after docking and get to the railway station for the first train to Glasgow Central, takes 35-40 mins and runs regularly throughout the day.

Whatever you decide to do you'll have a ball,

GG

I meant, we were in Glasgow for the Octoberfest. At least, the folks we met in the square said it was and they were all drinking beer. And grumbling about Mrs. Thatcher.

So, from the port in Greenock, it takes 34-40 minutes just to get into town? That seems a far distance away or did you mean it takes that long from Edinburgh?

It takes about 35-40 mins from Greenock to Glasgow by train. Glasgow to Edinburgh is around 45 mins on the train.

Am I correct is assuming that to get to Edinburgh by train or bus from the port in Greenock that you will need to go through Glasgow. Last year we took the train into Glasgow and used the HOHO and had a great time. Now we would like to go to Edinburgh from the Greenock port. Thanks for any information on this.:)

Hi OCCALIF,

If you wanted to take the train the whole way from Greenock to Edinburgh you would need to change trains in Glasgow. Take the Greenock to Glasgow Central train and then get the Edinburgh train at Glasgow Queen Street. You could get the bus from Glasgow to Edinburgh but it takes longer.

Hi OCCALIF,

If you wanted to take the train the whole way from Greenock to Edinburgh you would need to change trains in Glasgow. Take the Greenock to Glasgow Central train and then get the Edinburgh train at Glasgow Queen Street. You could get the bus from Glasgow to Edinburgh but it takes longer.

GlasgowGuy, Thanks for the information. We'll explore that option.

The HoHo bus in Glasgow can we be highly recommended. for an overview of this city which others so rightly say is much changed in recent years. We visited Glasgow recently and in the time you have available would def say the Art College (look on the website and see if you can book a guided tour on the day you're in town) and also Kelvingrove Museum are must-sees. The highlight for us though was the Rennie Mackintosh house near the university. It showcases this guy's amazing talent. The Burrell collection is certainly amazing: an enormous eclectic collection but you probably need a day in itself for that . I've also know Edinburgh very well having lived there so would be happy to tell you more if you want??

Sure, info on Edinburgh would be appreciated. we already purchased our tattoo tickets but we have the whole day. We do have to tender though so that is time consuming.

• There's a HOHO bus that will give you a good overview of Edinburgh, and you may decide to get off at some point for a look around.
  • You can walk down or up the Royal Mile.
  • You can tour the castle (a must as far as I'm concerned for a first time visitor to Edinburgh).
  • You can walk along Princes Street and shop
  • You can walk to St. Andrew Square and have a look around the New Town.

Last June I had lunch on the outside terrace of the cafe at Harvey Nichols Department Store which is on St. Andrew Square. Great views from up there on the 5th or 6th floor - can't remember which.

Here's a good web site that I used in planning my stay in Edinburgh last June: http://www.edinburgh.org. It was my fourth visit to Edinburgh so I already knew a lot of what I wanted to see and do but still found the web site helpful.

Enjoy whatever you do, and the tattoo is just wonderful. I have only seen it once, and that was back in 1994, but I'd love to see it again.

Do I need to go to TI to get map for HOHO or will it be clearly visible? How do I get to Edinburgh from the pier in S. Queensferry? I don't know yet if the ship will provide shuttle. It probably will for a price. Will the HOHO be nearby? I guess its impossible to say if you don't know where the shuttle drop-off is. you see my dilemma?

You are usually tendered ashore at South Queensferry and the best thing to do would be to make your way to the station (called Dalmeny) and get a train into Edinburgh Waverley. Take a look at www.nationalrail.co.uk for details of all the trains. Takes about 15 - 20 mins into the City Centre. When you arrive at Waverley, head up the same slope as the cars and taxis use (there's a pavement too!), and the hoho buses will be at the top waiting for you. There are several stations in Edinburgh so you must get off at Edinburgh WAVERLEY which is in the city centre. Edinburgh is a very walkable compact city and you will certainly see the main sights in a day.

Archived