suggestions for Ketchikan with young kids?

rjm11

Hello all,

I'm still stuck on what to do in Ketchikan next summer... we will be in port only a short time (6am to 1:30), and will have two parents, and 2 kids ages 3 and 4, plus an adult cousin/babysitter. We are all set to do a private whale watch in Juneau (Harv and Marv) and renting a car in Skagway, but I'm still stuck on Ketchikan.

we enjoy all things nature... wildlife viewing, anything on the water, and hiking. Many of the cruiseline sponsored excursions have a 4 year old age limit, and though I would love to kayak and flightsee, those things are out with the kids.

any thoughts? Is it worth it to rent a car? Any great scenic drives or nearby hiking areas? Any independent attractions or outfitters that stand out to you?

thanks!

What about a walking tour?? Would offer plenty of freedom for the kids and allow some energy to be expended. :)

Add walking along the marina, hitting it at low tide, plenty of interesting "stuff" becomes viewable. Many totems along the way, ride the funicular at the Fox Lodge (1 minute) Go to the Hatchery. If there mid July through begining of Sept, should have plenty of salmon to see.

I love the idea of a walking tour with including the marina area... any maps or intineries to recommend? Obviously I've never been there... is it pretty straightforward?

I'll be there the last week of August, and have heard tell of a salmon ladder... should be "running" this time of year?

I have two kids 2 and 5 and we are renting a car. I am going to go to Saxman or Totem Bight to see those places and just drive around to see what is there. We will take the car back and just walk around the city. Our big thing is keeping the girls in the car seats and this is the best way to ensure their safety and letting us be a little more independent.

request their visitor guide http://www.visit-ketchikan.com

If you are renting a car, going to Totem Bight, also detour to Ward Lake and area. "Parklike" with plenty of space. If your first port, you go by Walmart.

My walking tour recommendation is easy. At the dock, walk toward the funicular at Fox Lodge, Mission is the "main" street. Take the funicular up, go out the back of the lodge for a look at the totems, head back down via Married Man's trail. At the end you are on Park, turn right, walking along the creek, to the salmon ladder. Making a right off Park, at the Totem Heritage Museum/ Hatchery. Stop if of interest, do have combo tickets, The Totem museum would probably be of little interest for the kids. Continue throught the City Park, to Deermont, turn right and walk back through a residential area. At end turn right and you are back on the end of Creek St. Dolly's House is interesting for older kids/adults.

At the dock, turn right, walking toward the tunnel, but along the water front. Several "viewing" areas at low tide. Keep walking if interested and watch floatplanes load and take off.

If just wanting to get to Totem Bight, easy via the city bus for $1, Pick up is across from the Eagle totem on the dock- for the Blue bus. Print out and take with you the totem guide. http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/totempol.htm

I think the Ketchikan Ducks would be fun for the kids. Be sure to get "quackers" for them. Many people in Ketchikan know the Ducks and will "quack" back!

I think the kids would especially get a kick out of dropping down the ramp and splashing into the water!

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/alaskaZ.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

If all the adults can keep up with the kids, Ketchikan is the perfect walking town. You can walk up to the Totem Heritage Ctr, then the Salmon Hatchery/Eagle Preserve is located right by it. The walk takes you through a residential area so you can see the actual town, not just right at the pier. Walk down another way to see more of Ketchikan. You'd probably also have time to do the "duck" tour. I agree, that would be great fun for the kids. We did the "funicular" up to Fox Lodge. It was pleasant for us for the view & a break from the misty cool weather we had that day. Also, the totem garden with the U.S. flag flying was a good photo op. Enjoy Ketchikan!

If all the adults can keep up with the kids, Ketchikan is the perfect walking town. You can walk up to the Totem Heritage Ctr, then the Salmon Hatchery/Eagle Preserve is located right by it. The walk takes you through a residential area so you can see the actual town, not just right at the pier. Walk down another way to see more of Ketchikan. You'd probably also have time to do the "duck" tour. I agree, that would be great fun for the kids. We did the "funicular" up to Fox Lodge. It was pleasant for us for the view & a break from the misty cool weather we had that day. Also, the totem garden with the U.S. flag flying was a good photo op. Enjoy Ketchikan!

The necessary details of this idea are located above on my post.

Archived