Leaving Savona by Train

hrob777

We plan on leaving Savona by train. Trains leave at 11:12, 12:34, 13:01, 14:34. The Costa Fortuna is scheduled for 9am arrival.

Does anyone have any experience disembarking at Savona? Was the ship early or late? How long did disembarkation last? Any information on transfer from dock to train terminal?

Also, embarkation begins at 2pm with sailing at 5pm. That seems like a small time window to board 2,700+ passengers and baggage. Do they allow boarding before 2pm?

Hello hrob777,

We'd be interested in hearing if you learn more about the train as we'd hoped to take it to Genova from Savona, too. Or the other way around for that matter, Genova to Savona.

Did you find out what train number to take and where to meet it?

I've looked several times online, but finally figured I'd figure it out better in person as online I was getting more confused by the moment.

Jill

Hi Jill,

There are 10 trains between 10:30am and 2pm going from Savona to Genoa PP station. So I expect you can just take a cab to the Savona station and take the next train. Same thing getting to the ship. The train ride is about an hour.

We are taking the train to Zurich and have less options. We sail March 12. So hopefully you can post all the answers to my questions when you return from your cruise.

Harry

Sailed the Costa Classica in November out of Savona and had a wonderful experience.

We had bought tickets on the Internet (trenitalia's site) for the 12:34pm train but arrived at the station around 9:30am the morning of disembarkation. We easily changed the tickets to an earlier train at no charge. Schedules are well posted at the station. The ticket agents spoke English and were very helpful. The station is about 10 minutes from the pier and a taxi runs about $15.00.

Our embarkation began at 2pm (for a 5pm sailing) and they started at 2pm sharp. Since we were in a suite, we were the first ones on board (and the first ones off at the end).

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

We live near Zurich and I was looking for a hotel room in Genoa the night before the cruise and was looking for trains to/from Zurich to Genoa. After reading this thread I am confused. We are on the Fortuna on March 23. Does the ship actually leave from Savona? What connections have you found to Zurich?

Does anybody know a good hotel convenient to the train and port?

ASHerren,

Here's what I've found from research - not personal experience. The Fortuna arrives at Savona at 900 on 23 March and leaves at 1100 to Genoa without passengers. Your cruise looks like it leaves from Genoa.

I found several Genoa hotels near the main train station were sold out the night before my March 12 cruise - perhaps with cruise passengers.

The Swiss Rail site (http://mct.sbb.ch/en/index.htm) shows there are many daily trains. One leaves Thalwil at 714 to Zug, to Milan, arriving in Genoa at 1242. I suppose you could even take it the day the cruise departs - if you trust the trains to be on time. There is also a train with no changes from Zurich at 1109

One train returns to Zurich at 12:19 with no changes or to Thalwil with only one change in Zug.

Harry

Harry,

Thank you for your help. It also looks to me like the cruise before ours docks in Savona and then moves to Genoa to load for my cruise - but I wasn't sure it would really do that. I will book a hotel in Genoa for now and hope I don't have to change.

Now I must decide if we drive to/from Genoa or take the train. We could have lots of luggage - we are a family of 5. We all have the swiss transport pass so the train is free to the border of Italy - and I think the kids gets discounts in Italy.

I will check the schedules again.

Thanks,

Anne

Archived