Spring Break w/kids -- Summit or Solstice??

icepickjazz

It's been almost 6 years since we took our kids on a cruise. We are doing some late planning for a spring break cruise with our boys 9 & 12. We've had pretty much decided on Adventure of the Seas, but stumbled on Solstice which sounds wonderful. Also found some deals on the Summit too. It's been a while since we have cruised and wonder about the appropriateness of either the Solstice or Summit. We like southern Caribbean (Summit) but my wife is really interested in the Solstice. Our 12 year old isn't very intersted in the kids programs, but our 9 year old may still be interested the kids programs.

Any thoughts on one or the other for family fun?

We have a group of 71 on the Solstice For March break March 14-21st 2010 from Toronto. I would say the Ports are great on Summit we all did it last year, and my wife and I have been on Summit 3 times from Alaska to the Med to the Caribbean. But the Solstice is our favorite ship! with better dedicated teen areas

It's been almost 6 years since we took our kids on a cruise. We are doing some late planning for a spring break cruise with our boys 9 & 12. We've had pretty much decided on Adventure of the Seas, but stumbled on Solstice which sounds wonderful. Also found some deals on the Summit too. It's been a while since we have cruised and wonder about the appropriateness of either the Solstice or Summit. We like southern Caribbean (Summit) but my wife is really interested in the Solstice. Our 12 year old isn't very intersted in the kids programs, but our 9 year old may still be interested the kids programs.

Any thoughts on one or the other for family fun?

I would definitely pick the Solstice over the Summit. It is a great ship. It's just more hip and there are things for kids to do. The Lawn Club is a great space and was enjoyed by everyone in our party. The glass blowing is up on the lawn club and the kids had a GREAT time watching this. They had one or two sessions that had the kids from the kids club there and they got to pick the project the glass blowers did... you could tell all the kids were VERY engaged. To me, things like that are great.

The Solstice does two great Caribbean routes. (at least they're not Western)

Guess it depends on the time of yr--

To us , Solstice (which we have sailed on twice) is a very adult oriented, chic, sophisticated ship---bet Teens would enjoy Adventure more with all there is to do on bd,,

But I guess they would be ramping up activities over Spring Break to match the demo of those on bd... Summit would probaably have the least to do for teens..

Enjoy!!!

Sailed on Solsitce last Spring Break... neither ship will have the activities and spaces for kids like a Royal Caribbean ship. However, this year we're doing Summit this Spring Break.

The itineraries between the 2 ships are very different...more sea days on Solstice... we find that the varied and frequent Caribbean stops made by Summit suit the younger traveler's interest a bit more. We've planned interesting, age appropriate excursions at almost every stop.

Celebrity as a line and these two ships are geared more towards adults (Solstice a bit more than Summit), to be sure, but this way we ALL will have a great vacation! Hope you do as well, whatever you decide!

We just did the Solstice over Xmas break. THere were 600 kids onboard. THe 12 year old will probably go to the teen club, make some friends and then end up hanging out with them. At least they do have the teen club, the lawn, the arcade :( and other areas. Your 9 year old will enjoy the fun factory. My son just turned 9. the 9-11 age group is allowed to go on scavenger hunts (parental approval) and check themselves in and out (also parental approval). they have computers and games, and many fun actitivities. The sea days were not that bad. It depends on if you want to relax, or go, go go. I have not been on the Summit, so I cannot speak for that boat. I would assume its a bit older boat?

BTW all the kids LOVE the hot glass show. Also the shows at night are very entertaining.

Both ships are great. We cruised the Summit last year with kids and the Solstice this year with the kids. We cruise at off times when there weren't very many kids on board, but they still had a great time.

I have to agree with felixdacat, the Hot Glass Show would have to put the Solstice over the top for me. It was our family's favorite activity. My husband and son go so hooked that they went to nearly every show after they attended their first one. Lawn club is also great for bocce ball and croquet. Kind of a back yard picnic kind of feeling.

Either way, Summit, Solstice or RC I think you can't go wrong, but I think you would really love the Solstice.

Summit is also Port Intensive, so you dont require Bells and whistles at a higher RCCL price, Go for the better food and service Celebrity is it! But I would book the Solstice over Summit, only because we have sailed the Summit 3 times and its sisters numerous other times

Excuse me a little off topic.

When is Spring Break in the US? Is it at a different time for elementary and high school? Does it differ from state to state?

It even varies from neighboring town to town. Typically in my area spring break is 1st or 2nd week of April.

icepickjazz, You should also consider airfare. I don't know where you will depart to FLL or SJU. For people from east coast, US, it's easier and cheaper to get to FLL (Solistice) than to SJU (Summit). There are more flights/direct flights to FLL. Many times, it appears to be cheaper for cruise fares with Summit, but when you add the airfares, it's not the case any more. Unless you have the free milages, that will make the comparision easier.

Archived