Mt Favorite Ship Compoite/1951-2009

spook1

The ocean liner lecturer John Maxtom Graham has a maritine correct answer when asked his favorite ship.

"The one I'm on."

Please bear with me as I think back on mine (and maybe yours) as we usher in 2010 and our next cruise/voyage on whatever ship. Memories are one of our greatest assets; the future our great promise of more yet to be realized.

Ron's List

1. Exteroir Appearance - Royal Caribbean International Vision Class

2. Theme Resturant - QM 2 Golden Lion Pub

3. Promenade Deck - Royal Princess teak wrap-around

4 Dining room - Holland America Statendam

5. Dining room wait-staff - Princess pre mid '80's

6. Fantail cabin - RCI Vision of the Seas

7. Production Show - My Fair Lady on Norway

8. Best Comedian - Dick Gold Princes

9. Best Scenic Cruise - Norwegian Fjords on Royal Princess

10. Best dinners one cruise - Sapphire Princess Dec. 2008

11. Best Steam - Princess small ships

12. Entertainment and Laughs - P&O and Princess pre mid 80's

13. Moment At Sea - Kilauea on RCI Serenade of the Seas

14. Beyond The Call - Tender off Sun Princess collecting 100 year old

ice in Glacier Bay to cool champagne.

15. Best Value Martini - SS Monterey 1957 25 cents

16. Miniature Golf - RCI Legend and Spendour of the Seas

17. Horse Racing at Sea - P&O Oriana 1978

18. Worst Cruise Experience - Six army troop ships 1951/52/53

19. My favorite ship - The next one - SILVER SHADOW

Happy cruising 2010.

The ocean liner lecturer John Maxtom Graham has a maritine correct answer when asked his favorite ship.

"The one I'm on."

Please bear with me as I think back on mine (and maybe yours) as we usher in 2010 and our next cruise/voyage on whatever ship. Memories are one of our greatest assets; the future our great promise of more yet to be realized.

Ron's List

1. Exteroir Appearance - Royal Caribbean International Vision Class

2. Theme Resturant - QM 2 Golden Lion Pub

3. Promenade Deck - Royal Princess teak wrap-around

4 Dining room - Holland America Statendam

5. Dining room wait-staff - Princess pre mid '80's

6. Fantail cabin - RCI Vision of the Seas

7. Production Show - My Fair Lady on Norway

8. Best Comedian - Dick Gold Princes

9. Best Scenic Cruise - Norwegian Fjords on Royal Princess

10. Best dinners one cruise - Sapphire Princess Dec. 2008

11. Best Steam - Princess small ships

12. Entertainment and Laughs - P&O and Princess pre mid 80's

13. Moment At Sea - Kilauea on RCI Serenade of the Seas

14. Beyond The Call - Tender off Sun Princess collecting 100 year old

ice in Glacier Bay to cool champagne.

15. Best Value Martini - SS Monterey 1957 25 cents

16. Miniature Golf - RCI Legend and Spendour of the Seas

17. Horse Racing at Sea - P&O Oriana 1978

18. Worst Cruise Experience - Six army troop ships 1951/52/53

19. My favorite ship - The next one - SILVER SHADOW

Happy cruising 2010.

Here's my list - I'm afraid my age is showing:

1: Exterior appearance: RMS Queen Elizabeth

2: Theme restaurant: NA

3: Promenade deck: RMS Mauretania

4: Dining room: RMS Queen Elizabeth (second place SS France)

5: Dining room wait staff: RMS Queen Elizabeth crica 1956

6: Fantail cabin: NA although the fantail on the Stella Polaris was superb.

7: Production show: NA

8: Best comedian: NA

9: Best scenic cruise: Stella Polaris, Norwegian fjords or SS Argentina in Rio

10: Best dinners one cruise: RMS Queen Elizabeth & Silver Shadow

11: Best steam: ?

12: Entertainment and laughs: SS Argentina - thanks to Danny Leone and Bill Mavity

13: Moment at sea: July 25, 1956

14: Beyond the call: NA

15: Best value martini: Silver Shadow

16: Miniature golf: NA

17: Horse racing at sea: Any Cunard liner in the 1950's and 1960's

18: Worst cruise experience: Getting off at the end of the voyage

19: My favorite ship: Whatever ship I'm on.

Thanks for indulging my reminiscences.

You 2 make me feel good. I was a yr. old in 1951. Thank you! More happy cruises for you both in the new year.:) Both posts were very interesting. OMG! A Martini for a quarter in 1957? I was born too late.

Here's my list - I'm afraid my age is showing:

1: Exterior appearance: RMS Queen Elizabeth

2: Theme restaurant: NA

3: Promenade deck: RMS Mauretania

4: Dining room: RMS Queen Elizabeth (second place SS France)

5: Dining room wait staff: RMS Queen Elizabeth crica 1956

6: Fantail cabin: NA although the fantail on the Stella Polaris was superb.

7: Production show: NA

8: Best comedian: NA

9: Best scenic cruise: Stella Polaris, Norwegian fjords or SS Argentina in Rio

10: Best dinners one cruise: RMS Queen Elizabeth & Silver Shadow

11: Best steam: ?

12: Entertainment and laughs: SS Argentina - thanks to Danny Leone and Bill Mavity

13: Moment at sea: July 25, 1956

14: Beyond the call: NA

15: Best value martini: Silver Shadow

16: Miniature golf: NA

17: Horse racing at sea: Any Cunard liner in the 1950's and 1960's

18: Worst cruise experience: Getting off at the end of the voyage

19: My favorite ship: Whatever ship I'm on.

Thanks for indulging my reminiscences.

Don't feel old; feel fortunate to have experienced a legend like Mauretania. How many left have? And mahalo for your 'seasoned' reply. I look forward to meeting you and reminiscing; so much (and I do mean this) I will bring to our voyage, what I think is the best book I have ever read on ocean liners. Written by Robert Wall I bought it in London for a fiver. OCEAN LINERS. An excellent read on a stormy sea tucked comfortably in a Silver Shadow suite.

Your Mauretania crossing makes me think of my own nitch in ship history. My sister and I are more than likely the last surving pasengers on the SS Moneterey 1932 California to Australia maiden roundtrip; although we disemabarked and than embarked in Auckland.

Aloha, Ron

You 2 make me feel good. I was a yr. old in 1951. Thank you! More happy cruises for you both in the new year.:) Both posts were very interesting. OMG! A Martini for a quarter in 1957? I was born too late.

I buy you that 25 cent martini for a one of your young years.

PS. One more topic I could have incuded was LONGEST CRUISE. This was in 1948 (I turned 16 four days out) from Vancouver, BC to Wellington, NZ on the WW 2 liberty ship, WAITOMO. One month with one stop in British Samoa. Need a bite? Go below decks, find the fridge, and help yourself to whatever goodie was in sight. Ice cream? No problemL

Don't feel old; feel fortunate to have experienced a legend like Mauretania. How many left have? And mahalo for your 'seasoned' reply. I look forward to meeting you and reminiscing; so much (and I do mean this) I will bring to our voyage, what I think is the best book I have ever read on ocean liners. Written by Robert Wall I bought it in London for a fiver. OCEAN LINERS. An excellent read on a stormy sea tucked comfortably in a Silver Shadow suite.

Your Mauretania crossing makes me think of my own nitch in ship history. My sister and I are more than likely the last surving pasengers on the SS Moneterey 1932 California to Australia maiden roundtrip; although we disemabarked and than embarked in Auckland.

Aloha, Ron

Sorry for the confusion. I mean steambath (not sauna). Second on my list is RCI and then Princess.

I would love to meet the both of you. I could spend hours talking to you. I have always been "history buff". The wealth of info. you two have could fill volumes. And, I'll buy the first martini.:)

Aloha Marcia, Today I have revisted Robert Wall's Ocean Liners. He takes the reader from the beginning to the QE 2. Here he made his great mistake in calling her the 'last great ocean liner ever to be built.' The book was published in 1977 and Wall was referring to jets across the Atlantic dooming the liner. He didn't foresee (who did?) the birth of mega cruise ships that we have today.

But to me these 'new arrivals' will never compete with the great liners of yesteryear in romance and the making of America. From the living conditions of the opulent wealthy in first class to the immigrant in steerage; fine china, cigars, and brandy for the few; tin mess kits and squalor, even typhoid outbreaks, for the many...the price for hope of a better life.

On QM 2 we did a tanden crossing with QE 2 on her final westbound Southampton to New York. The afternoon prior to reaching New York we said good-bye to QE 2 so she could make het solitary way past the Statue of Liberty as a monarch might review an honor guard...Queen Elizabeth 2 a symbol of all great liners that once carried huddled masses to the new world and the lady who greeted and inspired them.

It doesn't get any better.

Wish you were joining us on Shadow where martinis are cheaper than 25 cents.

Ron

I would love to meet the both of you. I could spend hours talking to you. I have always been "history buff". The wealth of info. you two have could fill volumes. And, I'll buy the first martini.:)

Aloha Marcia, Today I have revisted Robert Wall's Ocean Liners. He takes the reader from the beginning to the QE 2. Here he made his great mistake in calling her the 'last great ocean liner ever to be built.' The book was published in 1977 and Wall was referring to jets across the Atlantic dooming the liner. He didn't foresee (who did?) the birth of mega cruise ships that we have today.

But to me these 'new arrivals' will never compete with the great liners of yesteryear in romance and the making of America. From the living conditions of the opulent wealthy in first class to the immigrant in steerage; fine china, cigars, and brandy for the few; tin mess kits and squalor, even typhoid outbreaks, for the many...the price for hope of a better life.

On QM 2 we did a tanden crossing with QE 2 on her final westbound Southampton to New York. The afternoon prior to reaching New York we said good-bye to QE 2 so she could make het solitary way past the Statue of Liberty as a monarch might review an honor guard...Queen Elizabeth 2 a symbol of all great liners that once carried huddled masses to the new world and the lady who greeted and inspired them.

It doesn't get any better.

Wish you were joining us on Shadow where martinis are cheaper than 25 cents.

Ron

Wish I was going too. Bon Voyage and have a great trip.

I remember my grandmother telling me about crossing the Atlantic in 1913 (she was only 4 and lost 2 siblings to illness on that voyage) from Poland (definitely steerage) on their way to America via Ellis Island. How fortunate I am to have relatives that were courageous enough to make that trip so I could be born in the USA. I wish she was still here. I would have loved to have taken her on a SS cruise.

I remember my grandmother telling me about crossing the Atlantic in 1913 (she was only 4 and lost 2 siblings to illness on that voyage) from Poland (definitely steerage) on their way to America via Ellis Island. How fortunate I am to have relatives that were courageous enough to make that trip so I could be born in the USA. I wish she was still here. I would have loved to have taken her on a SS cruise.

My father's side came thru the 'back door' having first left England for Perth, Australai. Served in the Aussie army in WW 1 and then they left to go to California where he meet my mother ( when six she was in 1906 SF earthquake) and so missed Ellis Island. My grandfather is buried in Perth.

Before saying 'sweet dreams' to this thread one last comment on the liners. Cunard is still here to enjoy while all the others are history. Yes, one could argue Holland America is stiil active, but HAL has really changed her profile fron ocean liner to cruise ship. Only her dark hull speaks of her origin.

The CUNARD WORLD VOYAGES 2011 brochure has a bow on Queen Elizabeth and QM 2, side by side and daunting. This has bugged me because I knew I had seen similar previously. Well, today my looking through OCEAN LINERS solved this puzzelment. Cunard had an almost identical poster in the fifties with the old Queen Elizaberth and Queen

Mary.

Long lives the Queens!

Marci, Living conditions were much improved, even in steerage, by 1913. CRUISE LINERS has a photo taken in 1914 on the Vaterland of third-class dinning saloon with uniformed stewards in attendance. The caption further said they were also in steerage. The wooden tables were long with bench seating, such as at a park.

Do you knw on which liner your grandmother came to America?

No, I don't. I don't think she remembered either being only 4. I do know that she told me that she was placed in quarantine on Ellis Island and she was frightend by all the people in white (nurses). I guess it was very difficult being a child and not speaking any English. Neither did my great-grandparents or my great-uncles when they arrived. After their arrival they went to PA where relatives were and lived in a coal mining town for a couple years. Then they left and moved to NJ with all except 1 brother who stayed in PA. He died in 1949. Had a heart attack in the mine. Another brother passed in 1925 from pneumonia. Her father and 2 other brothers made the big mistake of going back to Poland in 1939. They were never heard from again. After the war she learned that her dad was in the Resistance and was killed by the ****s. 1 brother made it to England and joined the RAF. He was shot down during the Battle of Britain. The other brother was sent to a concentration camp because he was helping Polish Jews hide from the ****s. (He was in the seminary studing to be a priest).

PS: Guess you figured out what "group" I was referring to.

No, I don't. I don't think she remembered either being only 4. I do know that she told me that she was placed in quarantine on Ellis Island and she was frightend by all the people in white (nurses). I guess it was very difficult being a child and not speaking any English. Neither did my great-grandparents or my great-uncles when they arrived. After their arrival they went to PA where relatives were and lived in a coal mining town for a couple years. Then they left and moved to NJ with all except 1 brother who stayed in PA. He died in 1949. Had a heart attack in the mine. Another brother passed in 1925 from pneumonia. Her father and 2 other brothers made the big mistake of going back to Poland in 1939. They were never heard from again. After the war she learned that her dad was in the Resistance and was killed by the ****s. 1 brother made it to England and joined the RAF. He was shot down during the Battle of Britain. The other brother was sent to a concentration camp because he was helping Polish Jews hide from the ****s. (He was in the seminary studing to be a priest).

PS: Guess you figured out what "group" I was referring to.

Marci. That is a fancinatingtake of Europe and WW 2. I heard similar one two years ago on Emerald Princess Venice.FLL. I won't take up CC space but we seem to have similiar interests and if you ever wou;d like to carry them further or have questions about my hobby I'd be happy to send my email. In the meantime stay healthy, And yes. I know the bas....s. That is why we faught a just war, one which had to be won.

Aloha Ron

I believe we did meet on a cruise on the Shadow either from FLL to Barbados or on the return voyage in December 2008. We were the couple that spent a lot of time at the ping pong table.

We are excited at having such erudite and interesting shipmates on Shadow NEXT MONTH!!!!

Looks like the nucleus of a trivia team!

Hi David, Dee loves triva while I feel I haven't much to contribute; can't remember the last time I went to a movie, so I'd be dead loss on that subject. (I kid it was GONE WITH THE WIND) But a well rounded team (playing for fun) sounds good so you can count us in the group.

Look forward to our aquaintance and disembarking good friends.

Ron

We are Jeopardy fans and have been for years. That's a good basis plus a few years of life experiences. See you soon. D.

i have a good question for you, you having a wide knowledge of the seas - What is the name of the point at sea which is the furthest from all land?

We are Jeopardy fans and have been for years. That's a good basis plus a few years of life experiences. See you soon. D.

i have a good question for you, you having a wide knowledge of the seas - What is the name of the point at sea which is the furthest from all land?

Dee never misses Jeopardy.

The scientific answer might be Point Nemo; the realistic answer would be, "how many hours till my waterwings deflate?"

Yes, Ron. Please do send your email. Is it anyway we can do it without the entire board seeing it. Just concerned about your internet security. Would love to hear and find out where you are gathering info on the ocean liners.

Archived