12/14/09 Celebrity Equinox Review

WehoAtlantis

We were pretty much gone from the pool by the time the activities began so I have no idea what they were. There is the usual Caribbean band playing music though. As far as early disembarkation, I cannot remember the exact time. Maybe someone else can remember that. We were the last two off the ship so quite the opposite.

Mike

There are no poolside activites except for some live music late in the pm and it last no more than hour per group. one group was 15 min. the steel drum player was 30 min and a good band was 45 min. The equinox lacks fun and music. It was my first and last celebrity cruise. Dec. 14 -24.Most of the day you get low volume music thru a speaker that its very hard to hear. BORRRRRING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are no poolside activites except for some live music late in the pm and it last no more than hour per group. one group was 15 min. the steel drum player was 30 min and a good band was 45 min. The equinox lacks fun and music. It was my first and last celebrity cruise. Dec. 14 -24.Most of the day you get low volume music thru a speaker that its very hard to hear. BORRRRRING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess fun is subjective. The original poster's review was very positive

and they had a wonderful time. What is boring to one person is relaxing

to someone else.

I'm surprised that anyone would find the Equinox "boring".

Entertainment on the ship was top rate IMHO! The quartet they had onboard was magnificent and the piano player in Michael's Club was absolutely amazing.

We did find that many people just stuck their head into Michael's Club and then left. What a shame. :confused:

The CD Crew was up on the pool deck at night for a nice Dance Party which was well attended, even if it was very windy out there. We had a great time.:D

We can't wait to cruise on the Equinox again!

I'm surprised that anyone would find the Equinox "boring".

Entertainment on the ship was top rate IMHO! The quartet they had onboard was magnificent and the piano player in Michael's Club was absolutely amazing.

We did find that many people just stuck their head into Michael's Club and then left. What a shame. :confused:

The CD Crew was up on the pool deck at night for a nice Dance Party which was well attended, even if it was very windy out there. We had a great time.:D

We can't wait to cruise on the Equinox again!

Mike,

Thank you for the great review. I am thinking about upgrading to AQ, but for now I am in a regular balcony stateroom. One of the joys of cruising, at least IMHO, is the dining experience, getting to meet new people, make new friends. I am the kind of person that prefers traditional seating times at an assigned table versus open seating. You had mentioned that Blu offers both seating arrangements. I also prefer having the same wait staff throughout the cruise as they learn your likes/ dislikes and make the dining experience more enjoyable. This is one of my hesitations about booking an AQ class cabin. Clearly, not eating at Blu would be a waste to book this category.

When dining at Blu, did you have the same wait staff and assigned table, or were you seated at different tables each night with different waiters?

Some people prefer the open seating, but on a previous cruise that had nothing but open seating, I really thought the dining experience lost the personal character that you expect on most cruises. The staff did not make any extra effort. I have always enjoyed the specialty dining on ships, however that is not every night of the cruise. I can see how Blu would be similar to specialty dining every night.

Lee

Blu is open seating only but you can see right away when you walk in if the table you ate at the night before is open. If not, you either wait for it or try another table. It was only half full if you go between 6 and 8 and you could usually find a table in the section of the wait staff that you liked. The first half of the cruise we sat in the same area and even the same table until we met friends and needed a table for 10 later in the cruise. It is very personal in there and we saw the entire wait staff and said hello to them effortlessly every night. I was very nice to the host/manager and it seemed to really help with getting a table we prefered. I hope this helps.

Mike

The Solstice deck may offer a good view for sailaway! We had a blast on the 12/14 cruise. It was a great ship and for the most part a perfect cruise. Its funny...the one thing I missed was a Promenade type deck that goes all the way around with great views...the life boats block most of the views and you can walk around the aft of deck 5 or 6 like on many ships

Mike,

Thank you for the great review. I am thinking about upgrading to AQ, but for now I am in a regular balcony stateroom. One of the joys of cruising, at least IMHO, is the dining experience, getting to meet new people, make new friends. I am the kind of person that prefers traditional seating times at an assigned table versus open seating. You had mentioned that Blu offers both seating arrangements. I also prefer having the same wait staff throughout the cruise as they learn your likes/ dislikes and make the dining experience more enjoyable. This is one of my hesitations about booking an AQ class cabin. Clearly, not eating at Blu would be a waste to book this category.

When dining at Blu, did you have the same wait staff and assigned table, or were you seated at different tables each night with different waiters?

Some people prefer the open seating, but on a previous cruise that had nothing but open seating, I really thought the dining experience lost the personal character that you expect on most cruises. The staff did not make any extra effort. I have always enjoyed the specialty dining on ships, however that is not every night of the cruise. I can see how Blu would be similar to specialty dining every night.

Lee

Our experience is BLU was amazing. When we boarded the ship, we went to each of the specialty restaurants and BLU to ask about our times for dining and confirming our reservations. Since we had six people in our party, we knew it may be a challenge to accommodate all of us at the same table.

The staff in BLU seated us at a round table each night and we had the same waiter each night. The staff are there to help you and I'm sure if you wanted to experience BLU with other guests/alone with the same waiter, they would find a way to accommodate your request. If you plan this with the staff the day you board, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

For us, the ability to eat in BLU was the highlight of our trip! The MDR was (IMHO) very loud. We really enjoyed the opportunity to hear our table mates speak without all the background noise. Obviously, everyone has a different requirement, so do what feels best for you!

Go ahead and book your next cruise on Carnival. As for me, this sounds great. The last thing I need to see is the engaging and enlightening activities such as the "hairy chest contest."

Mike:

Thank you for the awesome review and previously posting your photos.

Go ahead and book your next cruise on Carnival. As for me, this sounds great. The last thing I need to see is the engaging and enlightening activities such as the "hairy chest contest."

Mike:

Thank you for the awesome review and previously posting your photos.

Odd that none of Riclop's other posts have anything to do with Celebrity at all...

Archived