TransAtlantic question

amy417

We just returned from a jarring transatlantic cruise on the NCL Gem. 30 ft waves and 70 knot winds.

After watching a documentary for the QM2, it seems she was built specifically to handle the transatlantic voyages. Can anyone share your experiences crossing to NYC in the fall? Does the QM2 do a better job of handling the seas?

thanks

We cruised the QM2 this last fall from NY to Southampton. There was a hurricane brewing in the Maritimes when we left NY and because of a sick passenger who had to be helicoptered off the ship, we had to head into it to get closer to Canada! The ship hardly moved--honestly. We felt a bump or two and were surprised as we had done the TA twice before on her and had to look out the windows to see if we were moving. Then we found out we were in a hurricane. Love the Queen. Unlike any other ship. Judy

Thanks for the quick response. I am evaluating whether the QM2 is for us and the ride is an issue. My DH and I love rocking but this last TA was really rough. I love the caliber of traveler on TA's as well as the lazy sea days. Now if I can just swing a PG room I may be able to coerce my DH back onto a transatlantic :)

We sailed into the Nor'easter on Dec 20th, the ships captain announced most ships in the area were sailing at 5-7 knots due to the swells, but we were still moving along at over 20 knots...she is an amazing ship and was made to handle rough weather

We sailed into the Nor'easter on Dec 20th, the ships captain announced most ships in the area were sailing at 5-7 knots due to the swells, but we were still moving along at over 20 knots...she is an amazing ship and was made to handle rough weather

At 20 knots how did the ships movement feel.

We came west to NYC 12/6-12/12. The captain would slow down during the day to give folks a chance to breathe but at night he would haul. Even the officers vowed it was one of the wildest crossings they had seen.

Yes, you may very well have a 'rocky' time on the QM2, and any other ship, of course. We sailed on QM2 on 11/5/09, 6 nite TA from NY. I do not know the stats on how rough it was, but the passengers could not walk well - the old lurching from one wall to another syndrome! That day we tried visiting the library, which is on the bow, & we could not stand without holding on - it was really rough on the bow. I didn't see any dishes flying off of tables, as I have seen on other cruises, but the rough seas were definitely felt onboard. We also quite significantly felt the ship movement in bed that nite, and we were right in the middle of the ship on the 6th deck, balcony cabin. During the nite, the captain took the ship southward to try & smooth out the ship, which worked.

The big difference we noticed on the QM2 is the vibration - very severe. We have never felt so much vibration on any ship. It is much worse the farther back one may be towards the aft, of course. But I definitely would not get a cabin towards the aft.

To keep any ship's movement to a minimum, stay low & middle! To avoid vibration & ship noise, keep high & middle or high & towards the bow!

We had 12-18ft swells on the way back to NY yesterday. I loved it !

Other passengers did not though...We went to the Planetarium that day for the 1:30 showing. The combination of the Movement of the ship and looking up at a moving film about the Universe certainly "did" for certain members of the audience that day (as evidenced by the number of clean up crews outside !)

I'd say depends on whether you get sea-sick or not. If you don't - you'll love it - if you do it won't be pleasant. I really enjoyed it, made me feel like I was on a ship for once after the relative calm of the Caribbean.

In Aug 2008, I was onboard the QM2 WB when we spent a day with 30 ft seas and 60+ knots of wind. There was some movement felt, but it wasnt too bad, nor uncomfortable.

I spent a couple of hours in the Comodore's lounge (deck 9 fwd) watch the bow slice through the waves; with the ocasional spray hitting the windows!

During the entire time I was there, ir was never rough enough for the bar staff to secure any of the glasses or bottles. Every thing stayed where it was supposed to.

A few folks were seasick, including one presenter, but the dining room looked most people were able to eat.

I had a great time!

Aloha,

John

Archived