What's the difference??

KrystalWaters

Hey CC Family!

I am thinking about booking a balcony room on the Legend in July. I will be sharing it with my hubby and my brother. We are wondering what is the difference between the Premium balcony and the extended balcony? Does the premium balcony have a large balcony? Basically is it worth the cost or upgrade? :rolleyes: What is the difference between a premium balcony and extended balcony and is it worth the price difference?

Any pictures would be wonderful :D

I had to go to the Carnival site to figure out what balconys you were asking about since you didnt post the categories you were looking at.

Extended balconys are twice as deep as a regular 35 s.f. balcony. Premium balconies are the 9A and 9B, which are especially in demand for the aft wraps. These balconys vary but can be a lot longer and wrap around the cabin, depending on which one you pick.

For sizes of balconies, cruisedeckplans, click on carnival, then on the ship and it will show you average sizes of the balconies you want info about.

If you go look at the deck plans, you can see how much bigger which balconies are and which ones are the best, not all the 9s are the same.

Most would say the 9s that are the aft wraps are worth it, YES, but not as much the others, but the extra space is nice.

Look at the deck plans.

On Spirit Class ships the aft wraps are Vista Suites.... more expensive than premium balcony or extended balcony. Great on a long cruise to sit and have a cocktail - Some of the aft wraps can fit up to 15 -20 people!

not on deck 5- this is just one big cabin- not worth the suite price

So what i'm hearing is that it really depends on the location of the cabin. So before i book the cabin i should have the ship layout in front of me and ask the PVP to tell me the exact room number or I should tell her the exact room I want and he/she would quote me a price. :rolleyes:

But basically there really is NOT a big difference between an extended and premium balcony. I didn't know if the premium's had some extra perk i was going to be paying for or something. Thanks CC fam :D

Michelle:Ooooooooooh....i'm lovin' that HUUUGE :eek: balcony....

The extended balconies are better than the regular balconies and the aft balconies are the best. Even if they aren't bigger, the view is spectacular. On the Destiny we were in an aft balcony and it was larger than the extended balconies we have had.:) We were in a cabin with an extended balcony on the Legend last May. It was a very nice cabin. DW and I enjoy sitting there having our coffee in the morning and a glass of wine in the evening before we retire for the night. Well worth the extra cost in our opinion. Others will say it's not since they don't spend much time in the cabins but we disagree. We have seen some pretty good sights from our balconies over the years. Enjoy whichever you choose.:D

legendbalcony.jpg

Legend. three connected balcony cabins (dividers open). Foreground (largest) is 6232. Can easily seat four and we had as many as seven on it.

^

|

|

|

|

Holy Schmolly!!! :eek:That is a huge balcony!! I thought you were going to say that was some type of special aft balcony. I'm like.."sign me up!!" LOL :p

The first time we were on Legend back in May 2009, we had an extended balcony and absolutely LOVED it! We were on the port side, and got some incredible pictures entering and leaving each of the ports!

When we were on Freedom in October 2009 (as well as Legend in a couple of days!!!), we had a regular balcony. Again port side, and we got amazing pictures both entering and leaving port.

Call me spoiled, but it's the only way that we will cruise! :D :p

I didn't want to make a new thread for this....but...

I'm in the process of looking for flights for the trip. I got one coming in no problem on the day of the cruise. It's SUPER EARLY arrival so i shouldn't have any problems(10am). But the departure time is 1:45pm from Tampa Bay airport. Is that enough time for disembarkment or is that cutting it kind of close? I don't want to feel like we are rushing...but some in our party need to be back to work that next day, Monday.

I was planning on purchasing the Carnival airport transfer package, since i've never been to Tampa before. Unless ya recommend something better (ie. cheaper...:p).

Premium balcony is a 9A/9B. The 9A has an obstructed view, just like the other balcony cabins on that deck.

The 9B is a larger cabin with a larger balcony. A friend was just in 7299, a 9B, while we were in 4230, an aft (not corner).

2773882790102755439S500x500Q85.jpg

Looking into 4230

2345478020102755439S500x500Q85.jpg

Aft extended balcony, 4230, more overhang coverage than other afts; plenty of legroom.

Unfortunately, I didn't make it to her cabin, but she just posted photos on Facebook, so I got a good look. There is more room at the foot of the bed in that cabin, and the balcony is larger (cabin 230 sq ft; balcony 85 sq ft).

I use this site...

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main/CL-Carnival.php

You can click on the ship of interest, then the "extras" link. Select a deck and a new page will open that lists every cabin, the size, the bedding configuration, other furniture, connecting doors, etc.

For the money, I wouldn't book one, but that's just me. In fact, for the extra $, I wouldn't book an extended on the side (I was in 7192 previously).

I have a tight budget, and I'd rather cruise more often than less often with a bigger cabin/balcony.

Some day, when I'm independently wealthy, I'll book a corner aft wrap and not worry about the price. Until then, I'll continue to sail mostly in inside cabins and use all the "free" outdoor space on the ship.

Premium balcony is a 9A/9B. The 9A has an obstructed view, just like the other balcony cabins on that deck.

The 9B is a larger cabin with a larger balcony. A friend was just in 7299, a 9B, while we were in 4230, an aft (not corner).

2773882790102755439S500x500Q85.jpg

Looking into 4230

2345478020102755439S500x500Q85.jpg

Aft extended balcony, 4230, more overhang coverage than other afts; plenty of legroom.

Unfortunately, I didn't make it to her cabin, but she just posted photos on Facebook, so I got a good look. There is more room at the foot of the bed in that cabin, and the balcony is larger (cabin 230 sq ft; balcony 85 sq ft).

I use this site...

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main/CL-Carnival.php

You can click on the ship of interest, then the "extras" link. Select a deck and a new page will open that lists every cabin, the size, the bedding configuration, other furniture, connecting doors, etc.

For the money, I wouldn't book one, but that's just me. In fact, for the extra $, I wouldn't book an extended on the side (I was in 7192 previously).

I have a tight budget, and I'd rather cruise more often than less often with a bigger cabin/balcony.

Some day, when I'm independently wealthy, I'll book a corner aft wrap and not worry about the price. Until then, I'll continue to sail mostly in inside cabins and use all the "free" outdoor space on the ship.

Thank you so much this is the exact answer i was looking for. Do you have to be a member of Cruisedeckplans to view this??

Everything is free except for the photos, I think. I use the free section and find the descriptions of the cabin sizes and the locations of the laundry/vending to be very useful.

I don't think they're 100% accurate on some cabins, like the corner aft wraps. I'm pretty sure I've read that the ones on Deck 5 have a different cabin layout (although I believe the huge balcony is the same size).

I know there have been threads on here about them, but I haven't paid too much attention because I know I can't afford them. :(

I didn't want to make a new thread for this....but...

I'm in the process of looking for flights for the trip. I got one coming in no problem on the day of the cruise. It's SUPER EARLY arrival so i shouldn't have any problems(10am). But the departure time is 1:45pm from Tampa Bay airport. Is that enough time for disembarkment or is that cutting it kind of close? I don't want to feel like we are rushing...but some in our party need to be back to work that next day, Monday.

I was planning on purchasing the Carnival airport transfer package, since i've never been to Tampa before. Unless ya recommend something better (ie. cheaper...:p).

It's really a good idea to fly the day beforehand. There's too much uncertainty with air travel these days. Weather, mechanical problems, extra security, flight crew problems, etc. can all cause problems and later flights may all be booked up. We almost missed a cruise a few years ago booked on a 6pm flight the night before the cruise. We had rain delays, couldn't make our connection, and everything else was overbooked.

You can usually do better booking airfare on your own than through Carnival but not always. With Carnival, though, you either take the flights they book for you which can be wacky connections or odd times and the same day, or you pay a deviation fee to come in a day ahead and/or choose your exact flights.

The 1:45pm going home should be no problem unless the ship had unusual delays. But I would be a nervous wreck on the flight arriving the same day. I did it on our first cruise and it was very stressful plus we were exhausted by dinner time after being at the airport at 4am that morning. We had to do it again the time I mentioned above when we had delays and I was a big ball of stress until we made it to the ship. Go the day ahead of time if you can. :) You'll be much more relaxed when you get onboard and already in vacation mode instead of travel mode.

Thanks all....i was leaning towards flying in the day before..or even a couple of days before I wanted to visit a little of what Tampa had to offer. Anyone can recommend a hotel that is close to the port or at least have a shuttle i could get to the port for a reasonable price? Also do the hotel have airport pickup?

Thanks,

KrystalWaters

Archived