Stroller for 4yr old?

2preschoolers

I cannot decide if we will need/use a stroller for my 4yr old. We'll have a 2 1/2 yr old and a 4 yr old. Both of whom rarely like to be in a stroller. BUT, if we're at the mall, etc - both of them do tire out towards the end and want to sit in the stroller. So my original plan was to take an umbrella stroller (just one) and whoever wants to use it can use it.

Now I'm rethinking things - wondering if I'll regret not having both in strollers. I think it'd be handy in the airport, but wondering exactly how much use we'd get out of it on the ship or in the ports.

We plan to do a tour in Grand Cayman so I think there's no need to take a stroller for that, right? Not sure where they'd put it on the bus?

Do you find it is more of a hassle or a help to have a stroller?? Again, we're thinking between just one umbrella stroller or 2 - we'll have 4 adults along and the 2 kids. Any words of wisdom from those experienced? This is our first time traveling anywhere with kids!!

THANKS!!

I've always travelled with a double stoller (Graco Duo) on cruises and land vacations. It is a little bulky but it fits in the closet or under the bed on the ship. We use it for excursions and both kids fell asleep recently on our last cruise while we were walking around in port. We are bringing our car seats but we decided we are just going to walk around the ports instead of trying to find transportation that will accomodate car seats. My son just turned 4 and he loves the stroller and my 2 yr old also. If you have 2 unbrella strollers, I would bring them both. My kids are so active on the ship that they tired easily and like to sit in the stroller at times, especially in the heat in port.

We've always done the opposite to the previous poster. We never brought strollers. We've taken the kids from when they were 2 on. We found that:

- we were ok giving shoulder rides/piggy backs if the 2 year old got tired for a bit

- we try to have the kids eat on the boat instead of in ports so our journeys ashore are for a few hours at a time which they tolerate well

- when our youngest was 2 and our oldest was 5 the difference in what they each could do and enjoy led us to split up... one parent would spend a special day with one child and then the next day we switched. This meant that the excursion for the youngest could be a beach trip, etc. while the older one could do something more adventurous. It also meant "special days with Mom or Dad" which was really nice.

In general, our kids rarely used strollers at home - and so we have never brought one on our trips... but we were always ok with the occassional carrying of a child or heading back to the ship once kids were tired. My last tip would be that our kids have always loved catamaran or water-based excursions and these involve very little walking.

Best of luck!

Ljtee

Mine was quite a late walker but from the day he could walk hated the stroller. It spent about a year in the boot of the car before it was removed never to be thought of again. I took a 4 year old away for a month (by myself with no other adults) and coped well without a stroller. 2 weeks of the month was on a cruise, the rest in Hong Kong and other parts of Asia. If he got tired, then we would find a café and stop for a rest/ drink. I guess it depends on the kid and the adults going. Mine is quite happy to stroll along for ages- we don't walk fast but he will quite happily stroll markets and shopping malls for hours at a time. I would have carried him if needed but he did not ask.

We left the strollers behind; they are just too much of a pain. In the airport, my kids will sit on the floor - no biggie as I am not a germaphobe - though we do wash hands before we eat!;). Also, I could toss him on my shoulders if we were walking somewhere and he was tiring - I still do occasionally and he's almost 6, and 48lbs!

Bring 1. You may use it or you may not. At least you'll have an option for your youngest (who is more likely to tire).

Of course, it depends on what you have planned for the day. I'm bringing one for my 2 year old on our next cruise, just in case. On sea days it might be nice to push him around the ship as an activity when other options have been exhausted.

We are going on a cruise with our just turned 3 year old and are bringing his stroller. I love to take brisk long walks (approx. 1 hour walks) and I know our son would not be able to keep up. So, he goes in the stroller. So for me, it really depends on what you plan on doing either on the ship or in the ports. Good luck!

Our boy is 3.5 and we decided not to take a stroller for him. The thought of bringing something extra we don't need bothers me - we have enough stuff packed already. We don't plan on doing any long walks or shopping that would tire them - purely beaching it. When they are tired, we'll head back to the ship, or room, whatever the case.

Take one of the umbrella type that's light-weight. It made the late night rounds with a fast-asleep grandson (who also hated a stroller) pleasant for everyone. He decided it wasn't so bad when we were doing some serious walking too. If he decided to walk, it made a great "buggy" for our shopping bags, camera, etc. It was the best decision we ever made.

My oldest never liked the stroller and my youngest would still be in it if I let him. They are now 11 and 8 1/2 but when they were 4 and 2 1/2 I brought a regular stroller and an umbrella stroller. We never did excursions when they were that age. We just took a cab to the beach when we were in port.

I have to say that the umbrella stroller came in handy on the ship. Walking around the ship, to dinner, to the pool, etc, can be a long trip for a little one.

Yes, a small umbrella stroller is what I was talking about. We probably won't use it in port (doing beach breaks each day) but WILL use it on the ship for walks (and embarkation). Since they are so small and collapsible, it really don't be an issue as far as storage. We will just stick it under the bed with other suitcases when not in use.

Taking an umbrella stroller for our two and half year old in April. He knows if he is in the stroller, it means business. He's fine in one and likes to ride. I am also not too keen about hiking down the pier lugging him (in some ports that is LONG walk), any stuff we have bought, he's tired and screaming, or having toddler moment. Plus, if he gets rambunctious and doesn't want to walk with mom and dad, we'll plop his little tail right in and he'll just ride. He's at that age where you are never sure what child you are going to get from one moment to the next.

Our last cruise was at 2 3/4 and the stroller was very mandatory. Our next cruise is next week and she's 4. We don't plan to take a stroller. I'm having a few second thoughts, but we'll have 6 adults and plan to do the shoulder/piggy back ride option when/if she tires. We're driving to port, so no airports. We're doing casual beach days in port. On ship we'll have AO for the first time. If I took a stroller I am certain she'd use it, but I don't think she actually needs it. On this summer's driving trip she LOVED the long walks on the path through the woods. It showed me what she's made of. No stroller next week.

Last May we did not take it on a 9 day cruise for a then 4yr old. Out of the 9 days we only said we wished we had it once when we were in Puerto Rico carrying her up the hills. :eek: Other than that it so would have been a waste for us bc she wanted to be Miss Independent and walk everywhere. We r going again this June and will not be taking one.

Thanks everyone! I'm more worried about the airport than I am the ship, to be honest. I do wonder how well they'll do on the long walk down the hallway to the cabin after a long day at the beach or in the evenings, etc. But worst case in that situation is that I'd carry one. Hubby has a bad back and can't really carry either of them for any length of time. But I worry in the airport with a 2 and 4 yr old (first flight for them both) and how to work things in the baggage claim area - it's always so crowded and hectic there. Suppose I could sit iwth the 2 of them and our carry on's out of the way and just let hubby go get the checked bags from the carousel. Such decisions - and as my husband loves to remind me - it's only ONE week out of our lives. haha

Sounds like one of those sit and stand type strollers (where the younger child sits in the front and there is a small seat and/or standing platform on the back for the older child) would work well for you. Maybe if you ask around someone might have one they could lend you.

Good luck,

• 4 weeks later...

This has got me wondering if I should take one in July. I'm sure the ships are huge (we've never cruised) and while our youngest is very active and independent (he'll be a wk shy of 4 when we cruise), when he's done, he's DONE and if someone (me) doesn't pick him up and carry, the screaming and whining will begin. I don't mind holding and carrying some, but he's in the 99% percentile for height and weight, so he's almost 50lbs already! Makes mom a little tired carrying him around! :eek:

We brought a stroller all the other times...but this time our son is almost 3 and we won't bring one...it has been a long time since he has used one..last time was a year ago when we went to disney..and before that was just on cruises. He has been walking since 9 months old...so he got tired of a stroller quickly.

I would just bring the one. I have a 4yo and can't imagine her in a stroller on a ship. We did use one at disney world when she had just turned four but even then it mostly stayed parked. DD6 walked it at disney for 6 days when she was barely 5.

I guess we plan to only walk as much as they can handle on excursions. We won't be doing any hiking, just shopping, beach, etc. We are even doing Disneyland before and aren't bringing a stroller.

The airports are no big deal. If you have a long way between gates (mainly ALT, JFK, CHI, DFW, LAX) there are usually rails or moving ( oh what's the name I forgot).

For sure stay with the kids while dh gets the baggage. People will sling bags off and hit your strollers or kids if you are in the way.

We are taking ours for our 3yo ( almost 4) for one main reason getting on and off the ship in Miami. We have six kids 3-18 and our 11 yo has asperger's and needs 1:1 to handle the change. So I need to keep a active 3yo safe, and the stroller wins.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 5 year old and she has been known to fall asleep at the weirdest times, so despite the strange looks I'll get, I am taking her stroller because I will be on my own with 2 kids. I won't need it for the shore excursions, but possibly on the ship later in the day if she falls asleep I won't be confined to my room and my son wont have to miss out because we have to wait for sleeping beauty to wake up. I would agree not to bring them on excursions, especially in the water/sand.

Take the stroller, its better to have it and not need it than wish you had it. Some excursions get very long and its nice to not have to carry them. Also, you can use it to carry all the bags and gear and let the 4 yr old walk if needed. We always take it for our 4yr and 1yr old.

Archived