Driving to Volcanoes National Park - want ideas on other stops along the way.

LovetoTravel82

I suggest the Thurston Lava Tube. It's either within VNP or right outside it. Nothing glitzy, but it's neat to walk through an actual lava tube and realize that many years ago, lava actually flowed through it. You walk through a rainforest getting to it, from the parking lot.

It should be a short stop, and then you can move on to beaches and/or waterfalls.

Love2Travel

I know you are new here, but it might be a good idea just to look over a few of the other threads on the front page. There are several already, basically asking the exact same thing you just did. I'm not scolding, just suggesting.

anyway, I posted some pictures in this other thread of some of the waterfalls that are within decent driving distance from VNP and some of the terrific scenery that is there to be seen.

Take a look

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1111734

Giantfan, I had already read the thread you linked me to. I actually did do a search and read several threads about VNP before posting, trying not to have people tell me exactly what you just did. The point of my post was to get feedback on if there is time to do other things along the way and if so what is a convenient stop. Your post in the thread you linked me to had great pictures, but it doesn't say the names of those waterfalls so I was looking for a little more detailed info on which waterfalls might be somewhat along the way (or not too far out of the way) from VNP so I could find those on a map to better plan my drive. I guess I should just stick to the guidebooks.

Flamomo - thanks for the suggestion, that sounds like fun.

In Hilo - you have to make a small detour for that - you will find Rainbow falls and Boilingpots. Both on a nice location.

Between Hilo and VNP there is not really anything special to see.

In Hilo - you have to make a small detour for that - you will find Rainbow falls and Boilingpots. Both on a nice location.

Between Hilo and VNP there is not really anything special to see.

I suggest the Thurston Lava Tube. It's either within VNP or right outside it. Nothing glitzy, but it's neat to walk through an actual lava tube and realize that many years ago, lava actually flowed through it. You walk through a rainforest getting to it, from the parking lot.

It should be a short stop, and then you can move on to beaches and/or waterfalls.

The lava tube is in the park itself. Take a flashlight and do the second lava tube. It is natural and no lights. Lots of fun! We ate lunch at the buffet in Volcano House and enjoyed the view of the craters.

It is not on the way from Hilo, actually a bit past VNP, but Punalu'u Beach was great. It is the black sand beach and we saw lots of sea turtles. A really unique experience.

Jen in SoCal

~~"I guess I should just stick to the guidebooks."~~

Lovetotravel - - Please don't be reluctant to ask questions here. Most of us are only too happy to try to answer them, even if they have been asked before.

There's such a wealth of information on CC, and experienced, knowledgeable cruisers who frequent these boards. It'd be a shame not to take advantage of both.

My husband and I and another couple are on the Carnival Spirit cruise to Hawaii in April. We are also renting a car for the day in Hilo, iand I have been doing lots of research. (I am the planner in the group!!) I plan on bringing my GPS along to make life a little easier. This site gave me a lot of info, maps, etc which helped me plan our day: http://www.planetware.com/do-it-yourself-tour/hawaii-big-island-south-volcano-driving-tour-us-hisivdt.htm

Our plan is to pick up rental as early as possible at airport, head down Hwy 11 to Volcano National Park, spend a couple hours and perhaps hit lunch stop right outside. 2 restaurants caught my eye, and if anyone has any info on either please let me know - Kiawe Kitchen and Lava Rock Cafe. They both appear to be right outside VNP in the town of Volcano.

Then we plan to drive a little further south and visit the black sand beach at Punalu’u. We then want to drive back up Hwy 11 to Hilo,then head north a bit to either Akaka Falls or Rainbow Falls (depending on time). If we do have time left over before having to return car and reboard, I would like to do a little walking around Downtown historic Hilo as it looks like it would be interesting. We will also be there on a Satuday, so maybe a visit to the Farmer's Market for some souvenirs. Anyway, after I wrote all this down, it appears that I may be a little to "overzealous" but hopefully we will fit everything in without being too stressed or exhausted! I to would appreciate any tips/advice anyone is willing to offer. Hope this helps!

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

mcgovernsandra -- I absolutely love the site you provided a link to! It has already been bookmarked as a favorite! We will be taking our GPS with us too. How long will your ship be in port? I think we will have from 8 a.m.to 5 p.m. (for a 6 p.m. departure). The day you have planned out sounds exactly like what I am hoping to do, although we won't be there on a Saturday, so the farmer's market won't be an option.

mcgovernsandra......I can comment on those two restaurants in the town of Volcano. I have only eaten at the Lava Rock Cafe once. It has a typical lunch menu....burgers, sandwiches, specials, etc. The Kiawe Kitchen is one of our favorite spots for a Sunday drive up to the volcano and then a stop for lunch. It has a rather limited menu and we tend to always get the same thing. We share a Greek salad and split a pizza, and wash it all down with a glass of wine or a beer. The pizzas are VERY thin crust, cooked in a wood burning oven. I don't particularly care for the sandwiches there....they are made on very crusty French bread and served with a salad. But, I do see many folks ordering them. I think they only have vanilla ice cream for dessert if that is important to you. They have an ever-changing display of artwork by local artists on the walls. The Kiawe Kitchen is a charming little place and I guess we like it because it is just a little different than the typical fish and chips and ahi sandwich places around here :)

This is a great thread!

Exactly what I was looking for to plan my Hilo day.

(and that planetware link is a real find)

I was thinking of driving straight to the Black Sand Beach in Punalu'u and then do VNP. After that, we will see what is left over. I would love to see Alakala Falls. If we get out early, we have about 8 hours The round trip drive to the Black Sand Beach in Punalu'u is at least 2 hours. If we stay at the beach for an hour we will have 5 hours left for the Park and food stops.

My thoughts about food is that I do not want to sit down and eat as that will take too much time away from they day. Does anyone have a suggestion for take-out?

Thanks

Gail

I am glad the website link was helpful to you all! We are also visiting Maui, Oahu, and Kauai and renting a car in all these locations so I've been doing a ton of research to avoid confusion when we arrive. The only place we actually have booked a tour is when we dock in Kailua-Kona - we are doing the Captain Zodiac rafting tour. We also signed up for the Paradise Cove Luau in Oahu. I was hesitant at first, as it seems an exorbitant amount of money to spend on such a touristy activity -but everyone else wants to go, and according to the CC boards, you must do atleast 1 luau during your lifetime! My husband and I are also driving to Halanei Bay when we are in Kauai to take surfing lessons. (should be interesting?!?).

Thanks for the restaurant tips also - think we will try the Kiawe Kitchen.

My husband and I (both in our late 20s) will be driving to Volcanoes National Park while in Hilo for the day (we will be on POA). I am wondering if we will have time to stop any where else along the way? We would be interested in seeing waterfalls or a nice beach.

looks like we will be traveling the month before you (we leave April 10 and arrive back April 24), so I will be sure to follow up with how our day went in Hilo, and post some pics! (can't wait!!)

looks like we will be traveling the month before you (we leave April 10 and arrive back April 24), so I will be sure to follow up with how our day went in Hilo, and post some pics! (can't wait!!)

It will be great to hear how your day went. I am anxious to hear if all of the activities you are interested in will fit comfortably into the day. I hope they all do!

I am debating between Punaluu Beach and Leleiwi Beach Park, which is pretty close to downtown Hilo for our beach time in Hilo. I think it will depend on if I make it to the black sand beach in Maui or not.

Right now here is my current plan for the day:

Pick up rental car

Drive to VNP (spend a couple hours here)

Pick up picnic type lunch (somewhere between VNP and beach--any suggestions of a good place to get easy take out food are welcomed)

Drive to Punaluu (picnic lunch here)

Drive to Akaka Falls if time permits (substitute Rainbow Falls if short on time)

Return rental car

Has anyone done something similar to this? Is it unrealistic to hope to fit this much in on the POA stop in Hilo?

I am debating between Punaluu Beach and Leleiwi Beach Park, which is pretty close to downtown Hilo for our beach time in Hilo. I think it will depend on if I make it to the black sand beach in Maui or not.

in Maui we dock in Kahului and spend two days there. Again, we are renting a car. Our plan for the first day is Lahaina town and Kaanapali Beach. Second day is Road to Hana. Where is a good black sand beach in Maui?

in Maui we dock in Kahului and spend two days there. Again, we are renting a car. Our plan for the first day is Lahaina town and Kaanapali Beach. Second day is Road to Hana. Where is a good black sand beach in Maui?

I'm not sure how good this beach will be, but there is a black sand beach just before you get to Hana (according to the Fodor's guide). It is at Waianapanapa State Park.

It will be great to hear how your day went. I am anxious to hear if all of the activities you are interested in will fit comfortably into the day. I hope they all do!

Right now here is my current plan for the day:

Pick up rental car

Drive to VNP (spend a couple hours here)

Pick up picnic type lunch (somewhere between VNP and beach--any suggestions of a good place to get easy take out food are welcomed)

Drive to Punaluu (picnic lunch here)

Drive to Akaka Falls if time permits (substitute Rainbow Falls if short on time)

Return rental car

Has anyone done something similar to this? Is it unrealistic to hope to fit this much in on the POA stop in Hilo?

This is what I would like to do too! At first I was going to drive to black sand beach before VNP but I like your plan better. Now where do we stop for a quick take-out lunch?

We leave April 11th..don't be late! :p

LOL! No we will be early! Flying into San Diego from Connecticut on the 10th and spending the day in San Diego...Got a great deal on hotel rooms for both San Diego and the last night in Oahu, so taking advantage of the extended vacation time.

There is really no where to stop for a take out lunch between VNP and Punaluu. Probably the best idea would be to stop on your way out of Hilo in the morning.

Yes I agree....just did some web surfing and will most likely stop at Island Groceries near the airport.

This is a great thread!

Exactly what I was looking for to plan my Hilo day.

(and that planetware link is a real find)

I was thinking of driving straight to the Black Sand Beach in Punalu'u and then do VNP. After that, we will see what is left over. I would love to see Alakala Falls. If we get out early, we have about 8 hours The round trip drive to the Black Sand Beach in Punalu'u is at least 2 hours. If we stay at the beach for an hour we will have 5 hours left for the Park and food stops.

My thoughts about food is that I do not want to sit down and eat as that will take too much time away from they day. Does anyone have a suggestion for take-out?

Thanks

Gail

There is not much food in VNP itself. Inside Volcano House there is a buffet with a great view of the craters. We ate lunch there to start the day and really enjoyed the view. There is also a snack bar and it had hotdogs, sandwiches, drinks, etc.

Jen in SoCal

Archived