St.Kitts Tour Or Taxi????

werdapaul

Guest Host Cheryl
So did you check cab fares from one place to another, or for hiring a cab for the day? The reason I ask is because we are planning to just find a cab when we get off the ship and hire the driver for a few hours to tour around. I read that they are readily available.

Does this not make sense? Would love details and more information. Thanks!

We just returned from our cruise. In St. Kitts we used St. Clair Gilbert with Chief's Taxi & Tours. He gave four of us a 2 hour tour of the island and dropped us off at the Marriott Resort. He charged us 15.00 each. Other taxi's wanted 50.00 each and wanted us to wait until they filled a van.

Gilbert (he uses his last name) was fantastic. his cell number is 869-663-5262

We were just in St. Kitts in Jan. and there were dozens of dozens of tour operators trying to get our business when we got off the ship. They all wanted $20 pp for a 2 hour tour. That is the going rate. The only thing is, they all wanted to fill up a van or bus. So it will not be custom and you'll be with a large to very large group. As we were pondering it and the driver was trying to round up more people, we decided not to do it as we really just felt like going to the beach. That is the nice thing about not pre-booking.... you can go with how you feel that day.

I don't know about any of the tour ops listed, but if you pre-book privately with one of them, ask how many people they take. I personally wouldn't pay big bucks to be stuck in a big group when there are soooo many people after your business when you get there.

we just got back this past week from a eastern caribbean cruise. We had good tours on each of our islands but the most informative was Thenford Grey. He did an excellent job and we did not feel rushed at any of our stops on the way. You will not be disappointed with his tour.

We just returned from our cruise. In St. Kitts we used St. Clair Gilbert with Chief's Taxi & Tours. He gave four of us a 2 hour tour of the island and dropped us off at the Marriott Resort. He charged us 15.00 each. Other taxi's wanted 50.00 each and wanted us to wait until they filled a van.

Gilbert (he uses his last name) was fantastic. his cell number is 869-663-5262

Was there a fee charged at the Marriott?

We are leaving on the 10/28 EOS out of Cape Liberty, NJ. There are just 2 of us but we are willing to share. Want to see the island but not go on a beach nor swim/snorkle tour.

What is being offered in line with the above restrictions and what is the cost per person?

Thanks.

MARAPRINCE

• 4 weeks later...
Another reason to use Javin. Try him - you will not be disappointed!!!

My wife and I used Javin also. He is such a nice genuine guy and gives a great tour. For USD75 each we had a private tour. It started with

An orientation drive through Basseterre

An hour stop in Brimstone Hill Fortress

A stop and Black rocks with stunning view of Mt Liamuiga

A two hour hike in Cayon Ghaut - great trip, conditions underfoot are a bit tricky but very doable

An hour snorkelling on a secluded stony beach

A stop at Cockle shell beach with views of Nevis

As many photo stops as you want

Ginger beer, Guava and Mango Juice with coconut and raisin pastries

All transportation

Back to the port on time.

It was a great trip away from the crowds.

Highly recommend him.

myislands dot shutterfly dot com

We are leaving on the 10/28 EOS out of Cape Liberty, NJ. There are just 2 of us but we are willing to share. Want to see the island but not go on a beach nor swim/snorkle tour.

What is being offered in line with the above restrictions and what is the cost per person?

Thanks.

MARAPRINCE

I took the same ship and same cruise. You can go just the 2 of you - you do not need to share. You can see the whole island with Javin and not do the beach, swimming or snorkeling. A private tour for you would be ideal.

CruisingEasy never lies!!!

We just did a tour with Thenford Grey (Grey's Island Tours) and it was great. We toured the entire island, made numerous stops for pictures, went to Romney House, the fort, and Thenford provided us with information the entire time. He went in to Romney with us a told us about the different plants and trees and he went into the fort with us and gave us our own private tour. I am very glad I went with Thenford and that I toured the island because it is beautiful. He has been doing tours for years. He was professional yet friendly and very knowledgable.

I will be in St. Kitts this March on the Carnival Victory. I want to go to Romney Manor for 1 to 2 hours and then on to Timothy Hill for a quick picture stop. Then stay for the rest of the day at Cockleshell beach. Can this be done just using taxis? I should explain that my cell phone will not work on St. Kitts. Are taxis easy enough to get? I've looked at many tours that sound great but seems that you must be hurried through the numerous stops and then returned to port 3 hours before your ship departs. I'd like to see some local culture then relax and use my WHOLE day in St.Kitts. Any input would be appreciated.

I might be too late with this response, but I wanted to say that your itinerary is not difficult or unusual for one taxi/tour operator to deliver. There is no need to split up your itinerary with more than one driver (if I'm reading your question correctly, I think this is what you had in mind?) There is no shortage of tour operators in St. Kitts, even if their names don't crop up here on Cruise Critic. The rates are government set and controlled, so each should be charging roughly the same rates. Another fact is that on cruise-ship days, many of the taxi-tour guides, all of whom are well trained and appropriately licenced, will be found just outside Port Zante (unless this has changed recently.) You can easily find a reputable driver to take you from one stop to the other, and finally back to your ship. I have collected a number of business cards over the years, but can't see to find them at the moment. One name that comes to mind is Frankie Tyson of Sugar City Tours. It is a family owned operation, and they do taxi service as well as full island tours, and everything in between. Their vehicles are well equipped, air-conditioned and impeccably maintained.

• 9 months later...

Hi,

We just returned last week from our cruise that stopped in St. Kitts. We had a very good tour with Thenford Gey called simply "The Tour" for $48pp. It was interesting, informative, and Thenford makes sure everyone has a good time. He shared with us his memories of what it was like growing up on St. Kitts and surviving the hurricanes. He talked about the economy (both now and in the past), stopped to show us cattle egrets in the Acacia thorn trees, took us to Romney Manor Gardens and pointed out different types of plants. He took us to Brimstone Hill Fortress where the views are sweeping and the signboards are enlightning (ex. linens at the fort were changed every six weeks, yikes!).

I'd never rent a car on St. Kitts after I saw how deftly Thenford had to handle our bus (including passing through two stone arches at the Fort that left less than 6" clearance on each side of our bus). The bus was comfortable, air-conditioned and he kept everyone hydrated with bottles of cold water. Ask him any question, and he'll probably have the answer and I very much doubt that he'd make one up. Our final stop was for snorkelling at Friar's Bay where we saw eels, crab, squid, and several other species of fish. Take your water shoes if you want to walk in the water as there are tons of sea urchins and you could easily step on one if you aren't careful. The beach has chairs for rent, a restaurant and a troop of African Green Monkeys that everyone was snapping pics of. It was one of our favorite days of the trip.

Monika

We are sailing on the Celebrity Eclipse 1/15/11, and I am signed up for this tour with some other CC members. Thanks for providing the feedback!

Two questions: Did you know you were going snorkeling before the tour, and does he take you someplace he recommends for lunch?

Hi, sorry for the late reply, been sick. Yes, we knew we were going snorkelling when we booked the tour. But for those who didn't want to go snorkelling, Thenford took them back to the ship after he dropped us at the beach. We arrived at the snorkel spot around 1:30 and there was a very popular restaurant/bar at the beach so you could eat there. We had 2 hrs at the beach.

Just back from this tour. We really enjoyed our day with Spencer and everything was just as promised except we somehow never went to the fortress!? We kept waiting, enjoying all the other sights and before you knew it our tour was over and no fortress was ever seen. We didn't ask, but were a bit surprised and disappointed. Thenford is very knowledgeable and personable and gave us a wonderful day so the fortress will be on our "to do" list for our next trip to the island.

Recently took this tour. Thenford has a great speaking voice, is such a nice gentleman, and he has a nice air conditioned van. He is also a very safe driver which you will appreciate going to the fortress. The Fortress was very interesting and you see a short video first. Be aware there is a steep climb to the top of the fortress over uneven terrain but I recommend doing it if you can. We also went to the Botanical gardens where he explained the various plants/trees and then had a short visit at the Batik factory. At the factory they give a 5 minute talk about the Batik process and items in the shop are reasonably priced. There are restrooms at the Batik factory and Fortress stop. During the drive we saw wild monkeys. We decided to be dropped back off at the ship after that while others continued on to the beach. Highly recommend this tour.

Did you where your bathing suit throughout the tour {ffor the beach after} or was there some place to change?

Also is the spot to meet Thenford at easy to find?

Thanks

I asked him if there was someplace to change and this was his response: "We are going to Cockleshell Bay and it does have changerooms, restrooms, equipment rentals, etc."

Did you where your bathing suit throughout the tour {ffor the beach after} or was there some place to change?

Also is the spot to meet Thenford at easy to find?

Thanks

We did this tour last week and it was really amazing. Not sure why the difference from previous posters but we went to Cockleshell Beach. Maybe because none of us wanted to snorkel. The beach was a little different but nice. The water was flat calm and most of the beach at the end we went to was made out of sea shells. DH went swimming with DD and said there were lots of rocks, but we were near the end so that might account for it.

There is a beach restaurant where you can change and the food is good but the service is epically slow. We told Thenford we only wanted an hour, and we spent that hour waiting for our food. DH took DD swimming for 10 minutes while I paid, just to say they did.

Did this tour on Wed., Jan. 19th with some CC members while DH was off happily diving with Pro Divers. Thenford, as others have said, is a true gentleman, very accommodating, and knowledgeable about St. Kitts. He will answer any question. We, too, did a scenic island tour on a very comfortable 16 pax van. We visited an elementary school first as one of our members had some school supplies to donate. We enjoyed conversing with a 6th grade class.

Then we did Romney Manor where the Batik process is explained and the store is located. Thenford pointed out many different types of plants there and gave us time to shop. Then we also had about 40 minutes at the Fort. After that we went to Friar's Bay and saw the "best view on the island" while on the way there. Everyone took photos of the monkeys and the beach, and then most of the group returned to the ship while a few of us remained at the beach to get lunch at the beach bar, snorkel and swim. He gave us our choice of when he should return for us. We said in 90 min., but he would have let us stay longer if we wanted. I was gone for six hours total and it was an excellent value. He meets the group under the Welcome Arch at the end of the pier, which is very easy to find. Highly recommend Thenford Grey's tour.

Did this tour on Wed., Jan. 19th with some CC members while DH was off happily diving with Pro Divers. Thenford, as others have said, is a true gentleman, very accommodating, and knowledgeable about St. Kitts. He will answer any question. We, too, did a scenic island tour on a very comfortable 16 pax van. We visited an elementary school first as one of our members had some school supplies to donate. We enjoyed conversing with a 6th grade class.

Then we did Romney Manor where the Batik process is explained and the store is located. Thenford pointed out many different types of plants there and gave us time to shop. Then we also had about 40 minutes at the Fort. After that we went to Friar's Bay and saw the "best view on the island" while on the way there. Everyone took photos of the monkeys and the beach, and then most of the group returned to the ship while a few of us remained at the beach to get lunch at the beach bar, snorkel and swim. He gave us our choice of when he should return for us. We said in 90 min., but he would have let us stay longer if we wanted. I was gone for six hours total and it was an excellent value. He meets the group under the Welcome Arch at the end of the pier, which is very easy to find. Highly recommend Thenford Grey's tour.

how long was a wait to grab some food at the bar and which one you picked? some people like Lion's?

and do we need our passports with us in St.Kitts?

Archived