RCCL Kids Club (Voyager)

sas80

Happy Holidays Everyone! I sincerely hope that your families had a great holiday season :)

Question - we depart in 20 days on the Voyager of the Seas out of Galveston. DS seems to finally be day potty trained (and we are so happy)

We are thinking of introducing him to the kids club on the Voyager. Can someone tell me what the daily activity schedule is like for a 3 year old?

Also, if he does agree to stay by himself, do they have a way to contact us if he decides he wants to leave?

Thanks for any info!

Definitely let him try it out! You'll probably have to drag him away from it! Most kids under 14 LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the kids club!

He will stay by himself...they don't allow adults to remain. There is an open house on the 1st day so everyone can get a "feel" for it. Absolutely go to that!

Yes, they can contact you if you're needed.

Copngrats on the potty-training! It makes life on a ship so much easier!

Definitely let him try it out! You'll probably have to drag him away from it! Most kids under 14 LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the kids club!

He will stay by himself...they don't allow adults to remain. There is an open house on the 1st day so everyone can get a "feel" for it. Absolutely go to that!

Thanks for the info! The younger one is still in diapers so we are not quite done with that yet. We are super excited to be able to take DS into the pool and down the kids waterslide, etc.

I'm hoping that cruisinmamma will email me the voyager series kids club programs :D

Any idea what the hours are for the open house for Adventure Ocean?

Thanks for the info! The younger one is still in diapers so we are not quite done with that yet. We are super excited to be able to take DS into the pool and down the kids waterslide, etc.

I'm hoping that cruisinmamma will email me the voyager series kids club programs :D

http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb196/cruisinmama06/

Here is the link to her collection. I am pretty sure there is at least one copy of all age groups.

We're leaving on your exact cruise next Sunday (Galveston to Roatan and Mexico). We will have a 4 y.o doing AO for the first time, so I'll have to report back. Last Sunday I was reading Michelle's schedules to DD (didn't matter what ship/itinerary, I was looking for a sample.) She kept saying, "Story time? I LOVE story time." "Puppets? I LOVE puppets." Here's hoping all goes well.

(And I can never see pictures and use photobucket at work either. I just have to use it at home.)

I was on the Voyager in October cruising in the Western Med and my 6 yo daughter LLLOOOVVED the youth program and like others mentionned, I had to drag her out. Most of the time when she saw me coming she would hide and the staff had to go get her!

The staff were wonderful. There were not too many kids on board so they combined all ages into one program and still managed to have something for everyone. Here is a sample of activities: various forms of crafts, hullahoop contests, face painting, dressed up as pirates one night and paraded around the ship chanting ``We are the pirates, we`re taking over the ship`` and on formal night, they went dancing in one of the clubs (They actually closed the club to adults so it became a kids only zone and that was special!).

I hope your kids enjoy the Voyager as much as my daughter did!

We're leaving on your exact cruise next Sunday (Galveston to Roatan and Mexico). We will have a 4 y.o doing AO for the first time, so I'll have to report back. Last Sunday I was reading Michelle's schedules to DD (didn't matter what ship/itinerary, I was looking for a sample.) She kept saying, "Story time? I LOVE story time." "Puppets? I LOVE puppets." Here's hoping all goes well.

(And I can never see pictures and use photobucket at work either. I just have to use it at home.)

That's a really good idea, to read the programs to him before we leave. We have been talking about the water slide but we should probably also talk about adventure ocean.

Thanks and Happy Sailing :)

I was on the Voyager in October cruising in the Western Med and my 6 yo daughter LLLOOOVVED the youth program and like others mentionned, I had to drag her out. Most of the time when she saw me coming she would hide and the staff had to go get her!

The staff were wonderful. There were not too many kids on board so they combined all ages into one program and still managed to have something for everyone. Here is a sample of activities: various forms of crafts, hullahoop contests, face painting, dressed up as pirates one night and paraded around the ship chanting ``We are the pirates, we`re taking over the ship`` and on formal night, they went dancing in one of the clubs (They actually closed the club to adults so it became a kids only zone and that was special!).

I hope your kids enjoy the Voyager as much as my daughter did!

Oh, I'm sure he will love it, even if he doesnt take to AO like your daughter did. It would be nice for him to participate tho - it makes such great memories :)

I believe AO still gives out a pager for the youngest group 3-5 yr old so that they could call you and let you know your child wanted to leave, was missing you, etc.

Our DD (now 6) has sailed several times and doesn't like the clubs although she will go for some time here and there, like if we have Portofino reservations.

We even tried finding kids her age on the chat thread for our sailing, and then became pen pals through email before sailing. She was excited to see her new friends onboard, but to go mini-golfing or for lunch and not to AO.

You'll have a great time on Voyager- we're back on 2/14 and can't wait.

DD doesn't do daycare, but does go to 3 hr per time 3 day per week pre-school. This will be like preschool, but more often. I'm not sure if she'll get tired of leaving us or think she's missing opportunities to hang out with grama, papa, or aunts (also on the trip) whom she rarely sees. I wanted to get her excited about AO, but we're fine if she wants to pick and choose, hanging with us the rest of the time.

• 2 weeks later...

sas80, as promised I got you a complete set of the 3-5 y.o AO compasses. I'll have to get them scanned soon. We just got home at 7:00 last night.

Pirate night was Roatan day. DD played hard for 6 hours in the sand at the West Bay beach, so skipping AO that night (since mommy doesn't like the vulgar pirate song) was easy. She enjoyed all the AO activities she did go to, which was many. She said the best was playing "What time is it Mr. Wolf?"

hooked-on-travel

How was your cruise?

We'll do the same cruise during Spring Break so I'll be so glad to receive your docs too

If you don't mind emailing me your scans?

my address is toonye (at) laposte.net

I'd also be so happy with any avice about this itinerary:

->What excursions did you do in Costa Maya and Cozumel ?

I'm hesitating if I'll take my daughter to the ruins in Costa Maya.

In Cozumel, we might do the "Dolphin Encounter"

Do you happen to have feedback on that?

Also, if I may bother you again, having an overview of the schedule (schedule of formal/casual nights, pool party, not to be missed activities,...) would help me a lot planning this cruise and especially the evenings when I'll need a babysitter!

Thank you so much in advance;)

Toonye

Unfortunately, afetr doing so well at potty training, DS seems to be slipping backwards. Not sure if we are going to let him do the program anyways and just pull him if he has an accident.....

I would still love to see the compasses if/when you get them scanned in!

sasproul at gmail dot com

thanks!

hooked-on-travel

How was your cruise?

We'll do the same cruise during Spring Break so I'll be so glad to receive your docs too

If you don't mind emailing me your scans?

my address is toonye (at) laposte.net

I'd also be so happy with any avice about this itinerary:

->What excursions did you do in Costa Maya and Cozumel ?

I'm hesitating if I'll take my daughter to the ruins in Costa Maya.

In Cozumel, we might do the "Dolphin Encounter"

Do you happen to have feedback on that?

Also, if I may bother you again, having an overview of the schedule (schedule of formal/casual nights, pool party, not to be missed activities,...) would help me a lot planning this cruise and especially the evenings when I'll need a babysitter!

Thank you so much in advance;)

Toonye

Glad to help. Haven't written a review yet, but it's on my list. DH is a SAHD and still hasn't scanned the AO compasses, but DD is sick and pitiful today, so I'm patient.

The cruise itself was WONDERFUL. There were those who complained about the weather, but I wasn't one of them. We left Galveston in the 40's, the ports ranged from Roatan in the low 80s to Cozumel at 78, but it was below zero (Fehrenheit) at home. For that reason, there weren't a lot of pool days. I can't comment on when different pool games might occur on your sailing.

Things I remember:

>The second sea day afternoon was when AO went to the 'Adventure Beach' area and did water balloon toss, use the waterslides, etc. It was on the chilly side, but you'll all probably have it much better.

>Formal nights were Tuesday (second sea day) and Friday (Cozumel).

>We went to the ice show 3:15 Saturday in rocky seas but the performance was still amazing.

>We didn't make it to any shows, so I can't comment other than to say many people enjoyed them. I heard the puppet guy was kid friendly.

>Trivia was really hard.

>Our ship had 100 kids and 31 were 3-5 y/o, but there were never more than about a dozen kids in AO at a time (based on my visits.)

>Second sea day we did the family scavenger hunt instead of going to the poolside BBQ. (This was also bellysplash day.) Scavenger hunt was fun: 30 minutes to go around the ship and collect all items and information on the list. Some from our cabins, some info from asking people. Don't want to give away the things you'll need. We won caps and visors.

> Morning of second sea day Mike the CD has a slide show about 'life at sea'. Very interesting and provides some information useful to the scavenger hunt later in the day.

> Wednesday night is pirate night.

For ports:

Roatan: we got a taxi for $20pp and dropped some off at Southshore zipline and the rest at Bananarama for the beach. The zipliners joined us at the beach when they were done. We went out with a guy with a boat for $15pp to do some snorkeling on the reef. VERY good snorkeling.We went in two shifts so DD could stay and play in the sand. She played for 6 hours straight with the sand toys I took along from the end of season clearance sale. Yea mom.

Costa Maya: Ruins with Ivan and David (specifically David) of Native Choice. We went with Ivan 5 years ago and the tour was different but just as good. We did the package that also took us for a couple hours to Lagoona Azul (Blue Lagoon) and that part very really special. We ate chicken fajitas and then could either swim in or paddle in the lagoon. On a sunny day it is 7 colors of blue. We only got to see it that way briefly when we arrived. Overcast the rest of the time. Temp was in the 70s, so I decided it was too chilly to swim. But not so chilly we couldn't get a little wet. DD went out in a canoe with my sisters and the rest of us went out in single person kayaks. Yes, they had life vests is you wanted. The place is just a campground run by a German couple, but the place was a real gem. We were the only ones on the water.

As for taking DD to the ruins? She didn't get anything particular out of the experience, but it wasn't a bad experience. She saw what she called 'the pyramids' and we even saw a real snake in the grass. We kept our distance, but observed. I wouldn't avoid it with kids, though she was the only one there. We just wanted to get out of town. There were 3 ships in port and I can't imagine that little village that overrun with people. Having the Lagoon to ourselves was heaven. I enjoyed the ruins (both times), but if I went back I'd probably just find a taxi to take me to the Blue Lagoon. Though if you do that I'd contact the German couple ahead of time.

Cozumel: Been here twice previously and DH did the dolphin encounter then. He loved it. We thought DD wasn't ready for it yet, so we had planned a day at Passion Island. We decided to wait and book it on the ship once we found out how the weather was going to look, but it was full when we tried to book it on Wed night (day and a half ahead). Good thing. It was 78 degrees and rained a couple of times. I'd never just looked around the downtown before, so we just left DD on the ship for a few hours and did that. We hit the Mega (grocery store) on the way back to the ship. I needed a few things and it was the most economical way to get them. We also got some Mexican Coke since they still use real sugar in theirs. It was a treat.

WOW, that was wordier than I meant. I hope I covered it all, but if I didn't feel free to ask questions.

And I'll still work on getting the schedules scanned.

Unfortunately, afetr doing so well at potty training, DS seems to be slipping backwards. Not sure if we are going to let him do the program anyways and just pull him if he has an accident.....

I would still love to see the compasses if/when you get them scanned in!

sasproul at gmail dot com

thanks!

I was a little concerned about DD, too, but we stressed that if she had an accident they wouldn't let her come back. Not exactly true since you get a couple strikes before that, but it was the story we wanted to tell. Well, DD was SOOO excited to go to AO and play that she never had a problem 'remembering' to stay dry. I even picked her up on day two and she proudly announced that she had gone potty there. The potty is right in the room, so there isn't risk of an accident in transit. Still, it's your call. Good luck with the decision.

Hooked-on-travel,

That's wonderful, thank you so much for all the information, it really DOES help

re

we even saw a real snake in the grass

Ok, with that, you've just sold the beach excursion, ask RCCL for your percentage :D

Please, don't laugh, I know it's completely ridiculous BUT...

I'm SO scared of snakes and I had already read some reviews of people having encountered some during their ruins' visits...I wasn't sure what to do but NOW, it's enough feedback, I definitely WON'T go visit the ruins

and I know it's so stupid travelling all our way from Europe and not visiting the sites but...I can't imagine having to stay there for more than an hour, I'd only be worrying about that and I'd have a heart attack if I saw one:eek:

So it's going to be a complete beach holiday!

We've already booked the Tabayana Beach tour in Roatan

In Costa Maya, I'd spotted the "Jungle Beach Break" but I'll check this Blue Lagoon thing out, especially if it's run by Germans, we'll be at ease as we speak German fluently (I work in Germany!), it'll be much easier for my daughter who doesn't speak english yet

as for Cozumel, I'm still hesitating between the Passion Island and the Dolphin Encounter

Probably choose the Dolphins as it's only in the morning and I'd like to go shopping too!

where have you been? Downtown in San Miguel?

Did you find nice clothes? (I'd like to find nice, cheap summer clothes for my daughter and myself

What would you recommend?

Thank you SO much again for your help!

Toonye

Archived