Noise penthouse deck mercury? 1062-1074?

gloce

Hi everyone, me again with noise questions. I have had some wonderful responses and I appreciate all of them. Our TA has just given me potential cabin assignments, all on starboard side of ship, starting at 1060 and moving aft.

Any specific comments about news from overhead with equipment being moved around, or noise from the cafe above? We will be sailing July 25th sailing r.t. out of Vancouver. Our other options are 1240 and 1241 and a sky suite on the sky deck...which I have heard can be very noisy in the summer months.

Sorry for the boring repeat questions, but I am almost done with my research, with help from you kind folks I am sure I will make a good decision!

Cheers and thanks!:)

There was more noise for us in our SkySuite on Penthouse vs our cabin on SkyDeck. If you can get a SkySuite or CC room on SkyDeck it is much better, IMHO. There was very little noise for us from the basketball courts and what noise there was was not bothersome.

Hello Gloce

I would definitely recommend against CC1240 and CC1241 for this cruise. Both CC cabins are "tight" for two adults...and the respective decks are a bargain. But, that bargain deck is completely offset by the amount of noise from the basketball courts and the constant banging of doors from children coming and going constantly to the stairs and down to the Palm Springs Cafe. Or, if they are the least bit bored...they run up and down the stairs to the "walking deck" above you. So, if you don't mind a herd of constant elephants with the attendant noise levels....at literally all hours....then maybe CC1240 or CC1241 would be for you. Frankly, I'd stay in just about any other cabin for this roundtrip to Alaska out of Vancouver. And, I know what I'm talking about because last July we "economized" by staying in CC1240 for the larger balcony....rather than the cost of a Sky Suite.

We've stayed before in SS 1202 (Oct 07 P.N.W.) and in SS 1206 (Oct 09 11-Night Wine Cruise). However, as both of these cruises were in October......probably 98% of all the children were in school. So, no matter which Sky Suite you might book up on the Sky Deck...you will have to contend with unruly children. If you are able to snag a Sky Suite on the even side...say SS 1204 and back about six suites....then the only extra noise will come from those above you who can't read the sign that says..."no jogging."

Those who have stayed in the Sky Suites down on the Penthouse Deck will be better able to help you understand noise from above in the Palm Springs Cafe. If you'd like to avoid the whole rampant "kids run wild"....on the Sports Deck for the Alaska cruises...then maybe the Penthouse Deck is the better location.

No matter where you decide on a Sky Suite....all of the Alaska trips are going to be pretty filled up....and exploding with rampant children. I know because we have been there and learned our lesson once and for all. Then, if you can possibly (just the two of you) get away in October for a cruise.....you will not believe the difference. Then, again the spectacular beauty of British Columbia and Alaska may almost be enough to offset all the headaches from a full ship and the armies of rampant youngsters.

Hope this helps you balance the serenity and beauty of Alaska with the onboard discomforts of all the "kids run wild."

Hello Gloce

I would definitely recommend against CC1240 and CC1241 for this cruise. Both CC cabins are "tight" for two adults...and the respective decks are a bargain. But, that bargain deck is completely offset by the amount of noise from the basketball courts and the constant banging of doors from children coming and going constantly to the stairs and down to the Palm Springs Cafe. Or, if they are the least bit bored...they run up and down the stairs to the "walking deck" above you. So, if you don't mind a herd of constant elephants with the attendant noise levels....at literally all hours....then maybe CC1240 or CC1241 would be for you. Frankly, I'd stay in just about any other cabin for this roundtrip to Alaska out of Vancouver. And, I know what I'm talking about because last July we "economized" by staying in CC1240 for the larger balcony....rather than the cost of a Sky Suite.

We've stayed before in SS 1202 (Oct 07 P.N.W.) and in SS 1206 (Oct 09 11-Night Wine Cruise). However, as both of these cruises were in October......probably 98% of all the children were in school. So, no matter which Sky Suite you might book up on the Sky Deck...you will have to contend with unruly children. If you are able to snag a Sky Suite on the even side...say SS 1204 and back about six suites....then the only extra noise will come from those above you who can't read the sign that says..."no jogging."

Those who have stayed in the Sky Suites down on the Penthouse Deck will be better able to help you understand noise from above in the Palm Springs Cafe. If you'd like to avoid the whole rampant "kids run wild"....on the Sports Deck for the Alaska cruises...then maybe the Penthouse Deck is the better location.

No matter where you decide on a Sky Suite....all of the Alaska trips are going to be pretty filled up....and exploding with rampant children. I know because we have been there and learned our lesson once and for all. Then, if you can possibly (just the two of you) get away in October for a cruise.....you will not believe the difference. Then, again the spectacular beauty of British Columbia and Alaska may almost be enough to offset all the headaches from a full ship and the armies of rampant youngsters.

Hope this helps you balance the serenity and beauty of Alaska with the onboard discomforts of all the "kids run wild."

Thanks for your comments, I truly appreciate them. I don't have children, and do not wish to hear them while on a very important family vacation. I will avoid the Sky deck for this trip...NOW...question is...where on the Penthouse deck is the most desireable location....

Any thoughts anyone? I sure APPRECIATE the help!!

Jocelyn

We had 1107, which is a CC cabin. Very quiet. Also quick access to the open deck on the back of the penthouse deck, although much of it has now been filled in by balconies. But the sides are still open and it's a quick trip up the stairs to the open deck and the cafe area above.

We also went the first week of September because I refuse to be on a ship with hordes of children. Especially ill behaved children who are not supervised. An unexpected benefit was that we had gloriously warm & sunny weather most of the trip. So, if there is a possibility of your changing dates, you might think about that.

Have a wonderful cruise--Alaska is awesome!

We had 1107, which is a CC cabin. Very quiet. Also quick access to the open deck on the back of the penthouse deck, although much of it has now been filled in by balconies. But the sides are still open and it's a quick trip up the stairs to the open deck and the cafe area above.

We also went the first week of September because I refuse to be on a ship with hordes of children. Especially ill behaved children who are not supervised. An unexpected benefit was that we had gloriously warm & sunny weather most of the trip. So, if there is a possibility of your changing dates, you might think about that.

Have a wonderful cruise--Alaska is awesome!

I am unsure which deck 11 is? I looked at the deck plans and didnt see one....the resort deck seems like it would be deck 11...but there arent any cabins there? Our dates are non-negotiable as it's my parents' 50th wedding anniversary cruise. Nothing nastier than a bunch of snot nosed brats running amok.

Hello Gloce

I'm not sure; but, maybe CC1101 is located 'on Deck 10..the Penthouse Deck. It seems like your primary desire is to ensure your parents happiness on their 50th anniversary with this July sailing. I believe you...and your parents.. will really love being aboard Mercury. And, the scenary both ways is really spectacular.

What sets Mercury apart from many other cruise ships...is her crew. We've travelled on other upscale cruise lines: (Regent and Seabourne). Dollar for dollar the Mercury crew is just about as good as you will find...any where. And, that is without paying the more upscale premium on the other luxury lines.

Now that you are adequately prepared for a "full up" ship...with the extra children...you are better able to work around these unpleasant issues. If you have any troubles...go directly to the Guest Relations Desk and request a meeting with the Director. The Director of Guest Relations can cut through a lot of problems...and pronto. The normal folks out front are all smiles...but, short on delivery. Ask for Jackie...and tell her what you need.

Or, if you need anything related to the acommodations...get ahold of the Hotel Director. He's really a great fellow and wants to ensure you are happy and tell others to cruise on Mercury. And, get to know the Maitre D' and Asst Maitre D's in the MDR. They will usually help you with table assignments and seeing that the Head Waiter and Asst Head Waiter treat you...and your folks like "Celebrity Royalty." Ask for Larry...Asst Maitre D'. Can't find a better Maitre D' at sea for my money.

Find the Director of Beverage Operations..."Henk". If you are into trying some really nice wines...without breaking the bank....Henk is your man.

And, if you are looking for something special for your parents 50th.....you track down "Bobby"...the Head of all Sommeliers...and see if Bobby will be hosting the special "Wine Dinners." Now, these "Wine Dinners" can run around $98.00 person....but, simply not to be missed.... if you want your parents to have a "grand blast." Probably, one of the best events we've ever experienced on the high seas.....and that counts in luxury lines such as Regent and Seabourne. We loved our "Wine Dinners" from last July's Alaska Cruise...that we came back for the 11-night Wine Cruise in October. After, two of the three special "Wine Dinners"...and the other related events....we had attained status to "pig heaven."

Which brings me back to cabin selection....and I believe you and your parents will be best served by being on the Penthouse Deck. There, on Deck 10...you are already miles ahead of most everybody else on the Mercury. I wish you could experience Deck 12 and the Sky Suites up there; but, take my advice and stay there when the children are all safely in school. So, best of luck and go seek out the "special" folks I've mentioned above that can really make it happen for your parents' 50th anniversary.

Bon Voyage

I am unsure which deck 11 is? I looked at the deck plans and didnt see one....the resort deck seems like it would be deck 11...but there arent any cabins there? Our dates are non-negotiable as it's my parents' 50th wedding anniversary cruise. Nothing nastier than a bunch of snot nosed brats running amok.

Cabins in the 1100 series are located on the Penthouse Deck. I believe there are also cabins in the 1000 series on that deck (don't have a deck plan handy). I think that would be the best deck for you. Good luck! And happy 50th wedding anniversary to your parents.

Just returned from our 12/12 Mercury cruise, were in cabin 1058. The noise from approximately 11pm to about 1 or 2am was unbearable. Noise started again around 4:30am or so. The crew seem to be moving equipment around, one night it was so bad I thought someone had broken in the cabin. All I can say is try to avoid that area, the bed was awful too.

Puggrandma

Archived