Non cruisers that hate cruising...what???

Thank you all for your comments, insights, suggestions, and making me laugh. I knew this group would understand where I was coming from. I don't mention my cruises unless asked. One co-worker just returned from ten days in Cabo and went on and on about the "cruise ships" that "invaded" Cabo and practically ruined her vacation. I mean the nerve of all of those people to get off the ships and cause the stores to be crowded! Also many comments regarding the people on cruise ships that I shall not repeat. Needless to say non-complimentary comments. Oh whatever!

Perhaps cruising like politics and religion should not be discussed unless I am talking to the true believers on the CC boards.

Next time asked about my upcoming time off, and what I am doing, I think I shall respond I am involved in a CIA mission and can't reveal any details. Then they can attack the CIA.

Happy sails!

I have to speak up for those who had to be 'converted' to cruising. For years, none of our friends could convince me to cruise. I had crossed the Atlantic several times as a child and had been dreadfully seasick - even with meds. (Thanks again to Copper 10-8 for pictures of those ships!) Then with DH (early 70's) I attempted another trip in the Mediterranean (Barcelona, Ibiza) - same story. I convinced myself that I would be miserable on the modern ships - and was secretly envious of all the wonderful cruise experiences I heard about.

My husband retired and said he would really like to cruise to celebrate. I did all my homework - verandah, midship, fortified myself with meds and picked an itinerary with many stops. Happy ending.:):):) Now I am an enthusiastic cruiser and we are trying to catch up with all the time we missed!! Salzburg

There is a reason there are so many different ways to travel. Maybe your noncruising friends just know what they like. I just took my first (and probably my last) cruise. I can see why many people enjoyed it. However, For me, the fun part of traveling is researching things to do on my own (heavy tripadvisor use) then get away from the crowds and really get to know a foreign country. Cant do that in 6-8 hours, particulary if you wait over an hour in a crowded lounge for your turn to leave the ship. Food was plentiful and good but definately not great (give me a day to eat my way through San Francisco or New Orleans instead or even a farmers market). Felt like a hamster in a cage walking circles on sea days. I dont like shopping or gambling. Thank you all for the tips and enjoy your future cruising. It was fun...once.

10 years ago I wouldn't have thought I'd be looking to book a yearly cruise by this time in my life. I love it now though! I still say that you'll never catch me going on a ski trip. I don't like the cold, have never liked the cold, and I'd be willing to bet a nickel that I won't ever like the cold. And where do I live? I live in the suburbs of Chicago...

We had some friends over for lunch on a rainy Saturday last June. My DH and I started talking about our past cruises and the fun times we had both on and off the ship. They were enjoying our stories and we were all laughing and having a great time. A few weeks later when they were over again the husband said "You know, I never had any desire to cruise, but listening to the two of you has changed my mind." Then he asked us about how his daughters would like it (15 year old twins) and what activities were on board for them and lots of other questions. We weren't trying to convince them, but I think they might become cruisers!

Others in our group of family and friends would never go, even after seeing some of our photos and hearing our stories.

I try really hard to never mention my cruises. To anyone. I don't want to be boring. Plus, I don't want everyone to know what I'm doing. It's a secret. If they ask if I've been away, I just smile.:)

Unfortunately for my mother, my stepfather was one who could never be convinced to go on a cruise. He had been in the Coast Guard, off the coast of Maine, and probably got sea sick a time or two (duh! coast of Maine, winter, storms, etc.) So he was convinced that he'd be sea sick, though he wasn't generally prone to motion sickness under normal circumstances. His other argument was that everyone catches diseases on cruises, in spite of knowing many people (my family, his sister-in-law, and his own daughter, included) who came back from multiple cruises perfectly healthy. He was a stubborn old sod, so there was no convincing him. (I'm kind of surprised he would fly, especially after 9/11)

Poor man died never having been on a cruise, though I'm sure he would have enjoyed it. (Mom did take a cruise with me)

A couple of people I know didn't enjoy the cruises they tried, for whatever reason, and that's fine. At least they tried it.

As for me, my husband likes going snowmobiling in Canada, and, while I used to snowmobile when I was a kid, it doesn't tempt me now, since cold is my least favorite state of being, and I'd rather save my valuable vacation days for cruises, or Disney, or...just about anything else. I used to swim in the run-off from Mt Washington in NH, too, but you won't get me into water much colder than bath temperature now. Camping? That's ok, since we have an RV, complete with 2 TVs, a faux fireplace, & washer/dryer.:)

We are from OZ, have friends who will not cruise, (afraid of water), but are prepared to fly from OZ to the UK or wherever, and we cannot change their minds. Can't wait to show them our Pic. from the Alaska cruise May 22. I am sure they have only ever been in a tinny. ( That's ozzie speak for a little aluminium run about, used for fishing in the rivers here, and sometimes taken out to sea with dire results.

Such losers!

10 years ago I wouldn't have thought I'd be looking to book a yearly cruise by this time in my life. I love it now though! I still say that you'll never catch me going on a ski trip. I don't like the cold, have never liked the cold, and I'd be willing to bet a nickel that I won't ever like the cold. And where do I live? I live in the suburbs of Chicago...

I live in the suburbs of Chicago too, and nothing is better than planning and enjoying a cruise when the cold and snow is all around us. :) I have done a 180 on cruising and have inspired others to do the same. Salzburg

chatting w/2 ladies (where I work)..have been cabin mates very often..3/4 x...but one is scared to get off, as it is dangerous!!..her friends who has never cruzed, told her so...and, OMG, peeps will bother you to buy stuff, and follow you..and I am scared to eat on shore, and I might "FALL" over board if I'm not careful. and alll the ports are dirty, and I'd never go to the beach, I'm scared to take a taxi...yet they go every year..and I dont want to dine with strangers .......WhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaT???? she needs to stay home..and neverrrr go out!..I'm sooo a risk taker......without risk, there is NO LIFE

I think that a lot of people, more than we probably expect, have a severe phobia of the water. Think about how many people were too scared to go into the water after after watching Jaws.....Now think about how many people have seen The Posidon Adventure, and the many versions of the Titanic story, not to mention an occasional news story about something bad happening on a cruise. My Uncle who is in his 80's would absolutely LOVE cruising, but his best friend also happened to be on the USS Indianappolis during WWII. Whenever we talk about cruising he listens politely but becomes very quiet. We don't bug him about going. I think a lot of people are afraid, so they cover up fear with excuses...and some just wouldn't do well, which is fine. It would be a boring world if we all were the same.:eek::D

There's a vacation style for everyone. I personally love cruises and train travel, I love overnight trains and having a bedroom. Other people I know love camping in a tent for a week. A two star hotel is the closest I will come to going camping. Just have to know who you can chat vacations with.

Let's face it, not everyone in this world loves cruising as much as we do at cruisecritic. I learned this fact the hard way years ago.

In 2000, my best friend & I planned a cruise. Our husbands were "on board" with the idea. Or so we thought. Unfortunately when it came time for the final payment, she called me in tears. Her husband refused to go. All he kept saying was "It's a boat." No one could get him to explain why he didn't want to go. It wasn't the money, since they have a lot more of it than we do. It was very sad that at the last minute he decided to back out with no better reason than "It's a boat." (She's never forgiven him for it either.)

My two sisters, Mom & I get together every year, without husbands & kids (all of whom are now grown anyway) & spend a lovely week together. Normally we travel to a beach or to the mountains. Since we all live in different parts of the country, this trip is very special. Our Mom almost died in 2007. After she got better, I suggested the four of us take an 8-day cruise to New England/Canada. This cruise was one Mom had wanted to take with Dad; they kept putting it off until it was too late. He died in 2002. So when I came up with the idea, everyone agreed it was a great idea. Except my sister. She has MS that not only throws off her balance at times, but gives her stomach fits if she eats anything with seeds or dairy. She refused to go because she knew she would be miserable if she ate something that upset her stomach or dizzy if her balance faltered.

So the three of us went and left her. Although we missed her, my other sister and I wouldn't take anything for the memories we have of that cruise. Now Mom & one of her friends, who travels a lot but has never cruised, are thinking of coming with us on our next cruise.

But as for my sister and my best friend's husband, they will never step foot on a cruise ship. They don't want to hear about cruising, so we keep our mouths shut around them about our trips.

Some people, like my friend's husband, have preconceived notions of what cruising is. You can't change their minds, so why try? Others, like my sister, may have legitimate reasons why they feel cruising isn't for them. Again, trying to convince them that cruising is marvelous is a waste of time and can be perceived as insensitive to their concerns.

Those of us who love it---DH & me---will happily cruise off into any sunset at any time. The fact that there are other people who are just as thrilled about staying on land doesn't affect our enjoyment of this type of vacation. They go their way; we go ours. Everybody's happy.

DH and I took our first cruise on NCL in 1994 and it was a 3-day over Christmas to Nassau. We lived in MN at the time and had NCL do our air. When we arrived at the airport, we discovered we had first class tickets on both flights to Ft. Lauderdale! Nice way to start. The weather was not good and we ended up staying in Nassau the whole time. It was okay, but we weren't convinced about cruising. Well, we did another one the next year, a 7-day Southern Caribbean on Carnival and loved it. So, we are about to go on our 19th cruise next week and I'm so glad we gave cruising another chance. We moved to FL five years ago and due to the proximity of cruise ports now, we sail as often as we can.

I live in the suburbs of Chicago too, and nothing is better than planning and enjoying a cruise when the cold and snow is all around us. :) I have done a 180 on cruising and have inspired others to do the same. Salzburg

Yep - planning the cruise, and counting down the days is how I get through the winters here!

Archived