Hotel Catalonia Port or Hotel Catalonia Catedral location?

daju22

Hello,

We are trying to choose between the Hotel Catalonia Port location:

http://www.hoteles-catalonia.com/en/our_hotels/europa/spain/catalunya/barcelona/hotel_catalonia_port/index.jsp?cmp=tcm:42-6382&seccion=como_llegar&cml=true

or the Hotel Catalonia Catedral location in Barcelona.

http://www.hoteles-catalonia.com/en/our_hotels/europa/spain/catalunya/barcelona/hotel_catalonia_catedral/index.jsp?cmp=tcm:42-12617&seccion=como_llegar&cml=true

I've copied the location maps from their websites. Which hotel area would be safer to use a mobility scooter?

Does anyone have an opinion of these two areas or any other thoughts?

We have chosen these two hotels because they are new and have disabled access.

Thank you for your help.

Judy

HI there, I wonder what you are planning to do during your stay?? I ask only because the Cathedral location is closer to Placa Catalunya where the hop on hop off bus leaves from and so would be more convenient IF you were planning to use it. I usually pick hotel locations that are convenient for the activities I plan to do.

Hi Riffatsea,

We are planning to stay in Barcelona for two nights before our cruise. We may use the HOHO bus. It seems to be accessible. I think it also leaves from the Columbus statue area where the Port hotel is located, but I'm not sure. The Catedral Hotel is nearer the top of Las Ramblas and the Port hotel is nearer the bottom. Just wondered which hotel might be near better places to eat or safer areas in the evening. We are first-timers in Barcelona and don't know the area at all.

Thanks so much for your reply.

Judy

I DO see what you mean about the hoho bus. It does seem to have a stop near the Columbus monument.

Being near las ramblas was not an important goal for me during my stay. In talking with locals on Trip Advisor they were clear that las ramblas is a tourist trap area.

The only danger there is from very capable pickpockets and agressive prostitutes, near the bottom at night.

Don't carry your passports and all your money with you when you go out and DO keep things safely in your grasp at all times.

I have read about the pick pockets and the port area. So maybe we

should stay near Placa Catalunya if it is safer.

We still want to walk along Las Ramblas and at least get an overview of Barcelona (maybe on the HOHO). We have cruised to many European ports and have never had any problems (knocking on wood) walking/scooting in the port areas.

So, I guess I'd like to know which area has the most restaurants within walking distance. When we stayed in Civitavecchia my husband had to walk a very long way down the hill to the restaurant and had great difficulty. The scooter doesn't do well on cobblestones. That's why I wanted to know about close restaurants.

Judy

HI again, I have been reading a bit about what "accessible" means in Spain.

It appears that mostly it means there is a space wide enough to get through.

It does not mean that bathrooms have wheel in showers or the like. I don't know if that is what you need?? IF it is then you probably need to be very specific in your e-mails to hotels.

Barcelona is different than the cities I have visited in Italy in the respect that there are things to see and do in the whole city, NOT just the old part.

We spent most of our 4 days seeing the city and only spent a small fraction of the time on Las Ramblas. We walked from Placa Catalunya south to La Boqueria market and then on another day we walked from the port up.

I'd compare it to the area around Times Square in NYC or to Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco-- a place where all tourists go at least once.

You are quite right about the meaning of "accessible" in Spain. It does mean an accessible path of travel. I have emailed many hotels to sort out the ones with a walk-in shower and grab bars that we need. Many only have a tub/shower and they are considered accessible. How can someone in a wheelchair climb into a tub? Go figure.

The two hotels I chose have the correct disabled facilities according to my emails. It takes alot of research to find the right hotel in Europe.

Las Ramblas is neat for us because my husband can ride his scooter comfortably. It is a smooth pedestrian walkway. So many places in Europe are paved with cobblestones and you can't ride a scooter with small wheels very long without being shaken apart.

I have read that Barcelona is the most accessible city in Europe.

Thanks for all your interest and help.

Judy

Archived