Southern Carribean Advice Please

Embracedbylife

Thanks so much for the picture!! I think i'm sold!! :) Looks like you don't need water shoes either which is great!

I also read we can just rent scuba gear off the princess transfer boat is this true?

Heard there are not bathrooms?

Can we just take the boat back to the ship at anytime or we have to wait for the return time?

Many thanks again for all your info!!!

No "scuba" gear.....but they do have snorkle gear

No bathrooms...no buildings of any kind.

Your princess excursion has a set departure time from the ship's pier, and a set time to return from the ship. They do head counts. They also provide one drink on the beach....rum punch or water.

Bonaire - Is it better to do a discover dive at Divi Flamingo near the ship or do snorkeling in Bonaire off of Klein Bonaire beach and just taking the princess boat/taxi over to the beach?

You can see some fantastic marine life just south of Divi Flamingo. There's really no need to make it more complicated or expensive. Just walk down to the hotel past the Divi (I think it's the Plaza) and get in the water. Klein Bonaire is not just a beach; it's a small island offshore.

Grenada - How much time would we need on the pier to walk around & shop to buy a few spice necklaces and other trinkets?

Shopping is such a personal thing, it's hard to say how much time YOU will need. You will, however, find everything you want to buy right there at the pier. Personally, I would allow 1/2 hour for this.

St. Thomas. We'll be here from 8am-6pm. I hear we'll need time to shop and possibly some time to taxi out to see the skyride? Is the skyride worth the trip out to that mall area to head up?

Skip the Skyride and enjoy the beach.

Also, any idea which excursion is better:

1. Bus to Boat that takes us to St. John's. Snorkel and sit on beach at St. John's.

2. Sail 1 hr to bucket Island and snorkel at Turtle Cove then go tto Honemoon Beach to relax.

3. Take Boat to St. John's then take bus to Trunk bay to snorkel and beach.

I think you are referring to St. John, not St. John's. If this is your first trip to St. Thomas, I'd suggest you relax and enjoy a full day on the lovely beaches instead of spending 2-3 hours traveling to another island. Anyway, the last time I was at Trunk Bay the reef was dead/dying. It's really a tragedy what's happening to the Caribbean reefs.

Thanks. About how long ago was it that you were at Trunk Bay? I hear how pretty St. John is. But if we opt to stay on St. Thomas, are the beaches and things to see right by where the ship docks? Or do we have to grab a cab? I'm not really too intested in taking cabs on our own this time around - just want to keep it simple and grab a ship tour or just walk from the boat to wherever we are going. So many people are saying how wonderful St. John is. But if there is a lot to see in St. Thomas by the ship, than that's easier! Where is the best spot to snorkel in St. Thomas and can we get there by walking?

Thanks. About how long ago was it that you were at Trunk Bay? I hear how pretty St. John is. But if we opt to stay on St. Thomas, are the beaches and things to see right by where the ship docks? Or do we have to grab a cab? I'm not really too intested in taking cabs on our own this time around - just want to keep it simple and grab a ship tour or just walk from the boat to wherever we are going. So many people are saying how wonderful St. John is. But if there is a lot to see in St. Thomas by the ship, than that's easier! Where is the best spot to snorkel in St. Thomas and can we get there by walking?

There's no doubt that St. John is lovely, but St. Thomas is not too shabby an island either! It's your first time in St. Thomas - just relax and enjoy it! There are beautiful beaches, exquisite water, and a town loaded with things to do.

I've been to St. John twice - last time to Trunk Bay was probably 3-4 years ago and I was shocked at the conditions of the reef.

I've been to St. Thomas a dozen or so times, and my favorite pastime there is swimming in the calm turquoise water - pure and simple. In St Thomas, I prefer the swimming to the snorkeling. I can't give you personal reviews but I've read that Coki Beach is a very good snorkeling site; you can get there via cab.

You'll have to take a cab into town, but they use large open-air vehicles that hold a dozen or more people, so the fare is very reasonable.

We sailed on on the CB in March of 2009 and one of the highlights of that cruise - for me- was swimming in Titou Gorge on a tour with an associate of Levi Baron. His vans get there well before anyone else and the experience was UNBELIEVABLE. We had the caves pretty much all to ourselves and I thought it must be an undiscovered gem...until we were leaving and all the other buses started arriving. Timing is everything. Oh...and Champagne Reef is vastly over-rated for snorkeling. Klein Bonaire is fabulous, as is Cozumel (Palancar Reef) if you travel western. Enjoy!

I have spent two days reading the ports of call posts and unfortunately the boards are not as active as this one, so I hope you don't mind me posting my questions here as opposed to the port board:

Bonaire - We are trying to decide between going to Klein Bonaire Beach and doing our own snorkeling (hope to rent equipment at the beach) versus doing the Discover Scuba excurision. Just some background we have both been studying the PADI certification books and are a bit more prepared for the Intro Scuba as we took an intro course on a ship before but didn't complete the dives becuase of time constraints. So I hear Bonaire is the place to Dive and we are trying to figure out whether to do the Discover dive and try our hand at a shallow dive or just do the scuba at the beach?

Grenada - Is the snorkeling any good here? Trying to choose between these 3 princess tours:

1. Party Cruise boat to Mourne Rouge Beach (no snorkeling, just sail and beach with live calypso music).

2. Snorkel off Flamingo bay and then 40 min's at Mourne Rouge beach

3. Snorkel & Swim (not sure which beach)

Dominica - Trying to decide between the TiTou Gorge versus Champagne Snorkeling?

Besides Bonaire where else is good for snorkeling? Thanks so much!

We just took this cruise last year! It was awesome! My husband took the Discover Scuba excursion and I did the snorkeling. I would definitely go with the Scuba. We both tried a beginning scuba excursion in Belize and this one was much, much better! It was excellent. In Grenada, we didn't do anything water related, but hired a private guide and toured the island.

Dominica was my favorite port of the whole cruise. We went with a private tour guide again and were able to do both Champange snorkeling and Titou Gorge. He also drove us around the island to some beautiful waterfalls and showed us about the plants and wildlife there. Definately the highlight of the entire cruise. I think both places are fabulous and you can see them both if you book privately. Hope this helps. You will have a great time!

Thanks everyone! With all the advice we've gotten and from reading the ports of call sites we've narrowed it down to this:

Aruba - private charter fishing

Bonaire - water taxi to Klein beach & snorkel on our own there.

Grenada - Toss up between the Sail & Snorkel tour (dono what beach it goes to) and the 5 Star Sail, Snorkel & Beach (which I think goes to Mourne Rouge??)

Dominica - Wacky 4WD adventure to Trifalgar and Ti Tou Gorge

St. Thomas - Toss up between taking a cab to Coki beach and doing SNUBA or doing a sail and snorkel tour to St. John.

There is just so much stuff to chose from it's overwhelming, but i think we're getting there! Thanks again for all your input!

Still trying to figure out Grenada and St. Thomas and unfortunately the port of call boards are rather inactive and nobody replies, so sorry I keep posting here, but:

Grenada Snorkeling & Beach tour - It says that you cruise along the western coast en route to the snorkeling site with calm shallow waters of the bay are perfect for beginners, while experienced snorkelers will enjoy the deeper areas of the reef. Afterwards, you make your way south to a beautiful beach where you can swim, shop or simply relax for approximately 45 minutes. Anyone know how large the boat might be and what beach it goes to?? I'm trying to decide between this tour and the 5 star sail and snorkel.

St. Thomas - Half day Champagne Catamaran - It says take a safari bus transfer to the catamaran and sail to the lovely, palm-fringed beaches of St. John. Anchor at a special mooring off a St. John beach and then enjoy approximately 90 minutes to swim, snorkel, beachcomb, or just relax under the swaying palms. Anyone know what beach this would be?

Thanks again for all your help!!

For Dominica, I would highly recommend Bumpiing Tours. They will let you design your own tour. We did both Titou Gorge and Champagne Reef. You can easily do both in one day. This is a top notch company. We had a big group from our roll call book with them and they took good care of us.

I also loved the snorkeling at Klein Bonaire. I've never seen such an incredible reef. You're drifting with the current when you snorkel there, so you don't have to do anything but float and look at the amazing sights.

We've also done the half day Champagne catamaran in St. Thomas. It poured rain all day. We had sun only while snorkeling, but I would try it again...saw a turtle, but it wasn't anywhere as nice as Klein Bonaire.

So, our plan now for St. Thomas is to travel on our own to St. John ( I hear it's pretty easy to do on our own) and do the SNUBA tour with a private guide at Trunk bay.

My only concern is the cab ride to/from Red Hook. Anyone have any issues getting a taxi back from Red Hook? I've heard about the $2 taxi to redhook - are these really available? Is this a taxi or bus? Thanks again for everyone's help!

We were on the CB Princess the first week of January. The excursions were the highlight of our trip.

In St. Thomas we rented a jeep and toured the island. My guy had been to the island before and we had no problem getting around. We stopped at the golf course and they offered us a tour of their 3 signature holes which are right on the ocean. What a view! Unfortuantely we didn't have time to stop and golf. By the end of the day though, he was tired of driving and very happy to turn the car in. They do drive on the other side, it's very hilly and some of the turns were blind. All of the rest of the excursions were booked through the ship prior to departure. We were very thankful that we did do these tours and not rent a car in Dominica and Grenada due to the narrow, windy, hilly roads.

In Dominica we went on the Wacky Rollers Tour. Our tour guide was fantastic and very knowledegable about the country. She would grab leaves off of passing trees, pass them around and have us guess what they were or what they were used in. It was an open, old 4 wheel drive that could go over any type of road. My guy enjoyed this as he had a 360 degree view to take his pictures. We did get up to where the 2nd Pirates movie was filmed. I was happy I was in this vehicle when I heard some of the problems some of the vans were having getting up some of the hills.

In Grenada, we did the explorer tour which toured an old spice plantation and then up through the rain forest. Again our tour guide knew the country and was very informative. I was really looking forward to this tour and was not disappointed.

In Bonaire, we took the water taxi over to Klein Bonaire which was the best place for snorkelling. We just swam over the reef and then floated down. We saw 3 turtles and lots of fish. The reef is still in good condition. We had masks and snorkells; fins were not needed. The boat did rent them for $5 if you needed them. They watched our bags for us while we went which was worth the extra cost of the ship-booked excursion. Later that afternoon we did a tour of the island. A real difference between the other islands we had just been to. I was getting tired by this time as we were up and out ready for tours the prior three days by 8:20. Today was a later start at 11:20. My eyes did start to drift closed a bit with the lull of the bus, but I was thankful for the flat roads.

In Aruba, we did a three place snorkel on a pirate ship. The first was a suken WWII German supply boat. This was pretty neat, but a bit rough. We went to 2 other coral reefs which were OK but not as good as the one in Klein Bonaire. The pirates manning the ship were great.

This was my first cruise and I would definitely love to do another one.

Thanks for all your info! We are also doing the Wacky Rollers 4wd Safari and it sounds good!

Do you recall how often you needed a sweater while on board. I plan to bring lots of short sleeved shirts and tank tops, but can't remember how cold the ship gets at night? We have a balcony too so we'll be out on that a lot. I'm so excited to start packing :)

It sounds as if you pretty much have your mind made up....Just a little info.....

In Dominica: We did a tour with Bumpiingtours. It was great we were able to see the rain forest go on a little hike found a hot spring, titou gorge(cold water). They will also take you to champagne reef.......I opted to not do champagne reef cuz we went scuba diving....but Levi Barron accommodated our request etc.... It was great.....

More on St Thomas in a bit......break time is over :( back to work

Ok more on St Thomas as promised. I have been there twice. The first time I just went diving at Coki Beach (shore dive) I would much rather do a scuba dive or "discovery dive" than a snuba. It is almost the same but except snuba you are restricted by hoses......Scuba you are free and not connected to anything. So my vote would be for Scuba diving.

The Second time I was in St Thomas, we did a tour with Sunny Liston. It was very well worth it. We didnt want to do any shopping so he accomodated us and took us to morning star beach.....Then he picked us up to start the tour. We saw the Highlights of St Thomas (magens Bay, botanical gardens, drakes seat, etc.....) He stopped so we could take pics with the scenery in the back ground etc...... Played music on the tour bus etc... It was a fun time. Then he dropped us off at our choice of beach (magens bay, coki beach, or Sapphire) Since We "saw" magens, and have been to coki we opted to go to sapphire beach for a couple of hours. He then picked us up and dropped us off at the ship. Get this.....If you take a taxi to any of the beaches its going to be $20 per person....You can do his tour and go to a beach and do some shopping for $30 per person. I think it is well worth it. We are going back to St Thomas next year. We will be taking a sail boat to St John (honeymoon beach) and getting married. The sail boat will have a nice lunch for us and an open bar....This is a private charter for our wedding party. So we are really looking forward to going back to St Thomas for the 3rd time. ;)

I would absolutely dive in Bonaire if you have the chance (although it is expensive). It doesn't say diver's paradise on their licence plates for nothing! We went blokarting which was very cool. We dove in Dominica and while champagne reef was very cool, next time I would do TiTou gorge or go whale watching. In Grenada we also did the spice tour, which was very interesting. Definately get away from the ship in Dominica and Grenada and see some of the country. Enjoy your trip!

Ok more on St Thomas as promised. I have been there twice. The first time I just went diving at Coki Beach (shore dive) I would much rather do a scuba dive or "discovery dive" than a snuba. It is almost the same but except snuba you are restricted by hoses......Scuba you are free and not connected to anything. So my vote would be for Scuba diving.

The Second time I was in St Thomas, we did a tour with Sunny Liston. It was very well worth it. We didnt want to do any shopping so he accomodated us and took us to morning star beach.....Then he picked us up to start the tour. We saw the Highlights of St Thomas (magens Bay, botanical gardens, drakes seat, etc.....) He stopped so we could take pics with the scenery in the back ground etc...... Played music on the tour bus etc... It was a fun time. Then he dropped us off at our choice of beach (magens bay, coki beach, or Sapphire) Since We "saw" magens, and have been to coki we opted to go to sapphire beach for a couple of hours. He then picked us up and dropped us off at the ship. Get this.....If you take a taxi to any of the beaches its going to be $20 per person....You can do his tour and go to a beach and do some shopping for $30 per person. I think it is well worth it. We are going back to St Thomas next year. We will be taking a sail boat to St John (honeymoon beach) and getting married. The sail boat will have a nice lunch for us and an open bar....This is a private charter for our wedding party. So we are really looking forward to going back to St Thomas for the 3rd time. ;)

Oh wow congratulations on your upcoming wedding! Sounds amazing!!! thanks again for all the info!

Archived