Yelapas v. Las Caletas

cruisingbarb

Booked on the Mariner of the Seas. Considering doing one of these two excursions. Has anyone done both and can compare them for me? Sounds like one is more resorty and one a little more laid back. We'd like to snorkel, get some beach time and lunch.

If you want a beautiful beach, a great lunch, nature hike, a spa, snorkeling and kayaking, pick Las Caletas. It was John Huston's home and a very private and gorgeous stretch of beach. This is also a great tour for families as there is something for everyone including parrots, monkeys, paella cooking lesson, crafts...etc.

Yelapa is a little bohemian type village on a small cove. There is a touristy little restaurant area with places to sit and eat and drink and swim and then a town area that leads to a smallish waterfall. While I like Yelapa and all, I would much rather go to Caletas especially if this is your first time in the area.

Yelapa's beach is not all that great and the hike to the waterfall is pretty uneventful- albeit can be a little difficult if anyone has mobility issues or you are behind the pack of horses :)

Food for thought. Although I like the idea of somethings a little less resorty and bohemian, I also want a nice beach and w're from the Northwest, so we have seen lots of nice waterfalls.

Is there good snorkeling? Do you have to rent kayaks or are they part of the tour? Can you snorkel off the beach or do you need to go out aways?

• 3 weeks later...

We were on the Yelapa excursion 10/08 and while it was interesting/fun to do it once - if you are looking to do some good snorkeling you won't find it here or anywhere in Mazatlan - book your snorkeling in Cabo. The water is too murky in both PV and Mazatlan. But other than snorkeling, you'll have fun in both places.

• 2 weeks later...

Just went to Las Caletas. It's beautiful and not resorty. No resorts are there even though they have a spa. When you pull up to the dock it is so pretty. It's jungle in front of you and you can see different areas to go to. You can only reach Las Caletas as a visitor by boat. There are things to do there but it is pretty laid back and relaxed. There is the beach with water activities, they have a couple of places where they serve the buffet lunch, an open air bar area, a monkey and parrot cove, a place to take a nature hike and a place with orchids to look at.

I haven't done Yelapa but was going to do that tour but when I got my tour tickets from Princess they said "you will get wet going ashore as there is no dock in Yelapa" Yep, you have to wade ashore so if that isn't your thing you might try Las Caletas.

Archived