Question on Dawn and movement

qoap24

My family and I have decided to book a cruise on the Dawn for the 9 day Southern in March :D. This will be our first time going to the Caribbean. My question is for those that have cruised the Mexican Riveria and the Caribbean, is the water rougher sailing down to the Caribbean? We sailed on the Star in April 09 & rarely felt the ship move, so I am hoping this will be the same on the Dawn.

TIA

I was on the DAWN this past June and there were some VERY rough seas. Waves were in excess of 14'. This was in the Atlantic from NY to Bermuda--the Caribbean shoud be no problem.

Mu cabin was a BA aft. I could feel the swells from time to time, but was not bothered by them.

The only time I had a problem with nausea, was when the ship was turned to pick up a stranded sailor. I quickly popped a bonine, and was fine the rest of the trip.

I do take precautionary ginger-- pre cruise since I do suffer from motion sickness.

We just wrapped up the 9-day Southern itinerary and it was fine. The roughest seas were actually coming and going from Miami, and even those weren't bad (at least in my opinion). Seas weren't more than 8-10 feet. Once well out to sea it was smooth sailing.

Generally, the Caribbean tends to be pretty smooth. However, good old mother nature can play havoc with the waves at times. We have sailed many times in Sept, and gone around hurricanes, and never encountered high waves. I wouldn't be concerned about alot of wave action. To be safe, try to book your cabin closer to midship, and on the lowest deck possible.

We seemed to be doing a lot of bobbing on our Dawn cruise last November. Oh wait, we were adrift! :D :D :D

Seriously, you should find it to be pretty much the same as your cruise on the Star, unless there is some weather issue which you can't predict. :)

Everyone is different in terms of what they can handle/see as being rough. Anything over 20 feet, i deem as being semi rough seas, anything below is a piece of cake. Ive been on the Dawn in 2-5 ft. seas and in 30 ft. seas. There is a difference in movement of course, but its all a matter of how your stomach feels about it :p.

The Mexican Riviera does tend to be rougher than the Caribbean so to speak. If your on a 9 day out of Florida, you should be just fine, normally smooth as glass. If your out of NY (didn't read too much into your cruises) it could be a little rough the first day or 2, then it should calm down.

Happy Cruising!

Archived