Have to pay for Cokes???

Be sure you're doing the math right: One 12-oz can of soda DOES NOT EQUAL one soda-plan fountain soda. The fountain sodas are served in small cups with lots of ice. I'd say a soda-plan soda is probably around 7-8 oz.

It does complicate the math a bit, but if you're bothering to do it, you want to do it right.

Not my point. First of all, they serve in a variety of cups, up to and including the 20oz. souvenir cup you get with the card. They will also fill up your own container if you bring it. Anyway, ounce for ounce is a false comparison. The card costs $6 a day. So if, in the absence of the card I would buy more than $6 worth [i.e. more than 3 cans] then the card saves me money no matter how many ounces I drink with the card.

I thought I read somewhere that the unlimited soda (fountain) was in the $40 range for a 10 day cruise. Looking here, does this mean it is $60? Does anyone know where I can find out?

Also, we are staying in room that has Concierge Lounge on the Radiance. Do we get sodas in the CL for free? And if so, is it all day or just certain hours?

I just can't justify paying $80 or $120 for 2 teenagers to have a soda card for the cruise.l It seems so wrong!

Thanks for the info!

Elaine

Disney is the lines we've cruised on where sodas are free. (Folks complain about the price but the food is great, cabins are larger, and you can bring your own booze on.)

But allowing your own booze onboard takes all the challenge out of smuggling and hiding and all the rediculous ways some go to save a couple of sheckles. :eek: Disney has it right in the all the departments you list.;)

I thought I read somewhere that the unlimited soda (fountain) was in the $40 range for a 10 day cruise. Looking here, does this mean it is $60? Does anyone know where I can find out?

Also, we are staying in room that has Concierge Lounge on the Radiance. Do we get sodas in the CL for free? And if so, is it all day or just certain hours?

I just can't justify paying $80 or $120 for 2 teenagers to have a soda card for the cruise.l It seems so wrong!

Thanks for the info!

Elaine

It's $6 per day plus 15% gratuity on all RCI cruises. That's $69 for a 10 day cruise.

Thanks for the info!

Elaine

If the teens are under age 18, the price of the soda card is $4/day plus 15% gratuity.

Anyway, my main issues was the 12 can statement. It still doesn't compute.

I think she (he?) was comparing the soda card to the cost of buying 12 cans of soda on land and then carrying it on the ship. I'm not sure if it's entirely a fair comparison but I think that's what was being said.

I certainly don't want to compare the price of a single beer on the ship to buying a six pack on land. I will buy lots of those single beers on the ship but I avoid those six packs when they're $8.49 (a couple of years ago my price point for Redhook, Pyramid, Alaskan, etc was $5.99, now it's $6.99). Go figure.

Not my point. First of all, they serve in a variety of cups, up to and including the 20oz. souvenir cup you get with the card. They will also fill up your own container if you bring it. Anyway, ounce for ounce is a false comparison. The card costs $6 a day. So if, in the absence of the card I would buy more than $6 worth [i.e. more than 3 cans] then the card saves me money no matter how many ounces I drink with the card.
Admittedly, you CAN use any container . . . but most people don't carry around the 20-oz souvenier cup or a cup from home . . . most people get a standard ship's cup most of the time. So that's the measure of comparison.

And most people are comparing 12-oz cans to standard ship's soda. This is a false comparison because a ship's soda is SMALLER than a can; thus, if you compare cup to can, your math will be off.

It may not've been a perfect match to your comment, but it is pertinant to the discussion.

Admittedly, you CAN use any container . . . but most people don't carry around the 20-oz souvenier cup or a cup from home . . . most people get a standard ship's cup most of the time. So that's the measure of comparison.

And most people are comparing 12-oz cans to standard ship's soda. This is a false comparison because a ship's soda is SMALLER than a can; thus, if you compare cup to can, your math will be off.

It may not've been a perfect match to your comment, but it is pertinant to the discussion.

You are still trying to compare ounces to ounces which is meaningless. Just because I guzzle as much as I can to beat 36-48 oz a day doesn't mean I am getting a good deal. And for my consideration, I don't really care about what others are comparing, I am only concerned about what makes financial sense for me. And for me it is the soda card. For others, it may not be.

You are still trying to compare ounces to ounces which is meaningless.
Yes, I'm comparing ounces to ounces because it's the only way to judge fairly. You're concerned with servings, but comparing unequal servings is meaningless.
Just because I guzzle as much as I can to beat 36-48 oz a day doesn't mean I am getting a good deal.
I agree that drinking and drinking in an attempt to get your money's worth is not a good deal . . . but buying the package because you're convinced -- generic you, not you personally -- that it's cheaper than buying X number of drinks per day doesn't make sense either. Not if the soda-plan drinks are smaller than the canned sodas.
And for my consideration, I don't really care about what others are comparing, I am only conerned about what makes financial sense for me. And for me it is the soda card. For others, it may not be.
So you've decided it's a good deal for you -- great. You've made an informed choice. But judging from this discussion (i.e., if you drink X number of sodas per day, the soda plan is worthwhile) someone who's never cruised before would likely assume that a soda-plan drink's going to give them the same 12-oz that they'd get from a can, and that can skew their decision.

Buy it or don't buy it -- but be sure that it's actually a good deal for you.

I don't drink coffee, so Diet Coke is my caffeine source. Have to have caffeine or else I get a migraine. To me, the coke card is worth it. I usually have the souvenir cup with me and have it filled any time I pass a bar. I don't think there is anything wrong with the taste--I just ask for no ice and then I actually get a full cup worth. In the MDR at dinner, they bring my diet coke in a fancy water glass. Also, we always fly to our port, and getting to a store to buy 12 packs of diet coke just isn't practical usually. To me, it's worth it to get the soda card. It probably isn't worth it for everyone, but for me it is.

. . .You're concerned with servings, but comparing unequal servings is meaningless. . . .

Sorry, but you misunderstood me. I am only comparing dollars. The cost of the card is fixed -- $6 a day plus 15%. The only way I know to compare dollars to dollars is to ask myself is how much I would spend on cans [i.e. how many cans I would buy] if I didn't get the card. If it is more than three, then I would spend more without the card and the card is a good deal. It is true that a can is arguably a serving, but I am only comparing dollars. The ounces/servings/cups/everything else makes no difference to me.

I remember reading on average, a 12 oz cup of soda costs the vendor (whether it be RCL, Applebees, etc) around .06-.14 based on how much they are paying for the syrup boxes, CO2, etc. Soda is basically pure profit for everyone who serves it, when it comes from a gun. I'm sure it's almost the same when it comes from a can as well as I'm sure they are getting better prices than 2.20/ 12pk when my local super market has it for buy 2 get 3 free, which is the only time I'll buy it.

This will fall under the "nickel and diming" that they are doing, which, actually has been going on for a long time when it comes to soda.

. . . This will fall under the "nickel and diming" that they are doing, which, actually has been going on for a long time when it comes to soda.

And which, as I said before is not the exclusive domain of cruise lines. Around here the going rate for soda at a restaurant is 2.20 [about the same as what you pay for a can on the ship]. Sure you get free refills, but still, they are making a killing. And they usually charge the same for tea which you get free [sorry "included" -- big difference] on the ship. I have noticed that several restaurants around here have stopped putting beverage prices on the menu -- either they are embarassed to admit what they charge or it falls in the category of "if you have to ask you can't afford it."

Do you know how much a bottle of liquor costs a cruise ship/restaurant? Barely anything. That $8 drink actually cost them a total of about $1. It's not so much nickel and diming as it is figuring out where they can make a profit. I have the choice to buy the soda card--I wish it were free, of course--but I know that I'm paying a lot for it. To me, it works out because I think I end up drinking my share. It may cost a lot, but I personally am glad I have the option rather than having to pay $2.20 a pop, especially since I don't drink coffee and I need caffeine. It is what it is.

I drink a LOT of diet soda during the day. I get the soda card because it is convenient. Plus, I like the added bonus that using the soda card and constantly reusing my cup I'm not creating all that aluminum can waste for recycling like at home.

Some bartenders will even make my jack and diet coke for me in the big giant cup too...

FYI, many people think diet coke has too much caffeine--and some diet sodas do have quite a bit--however, while a 12 oz can of diet coke has about 45 mg of caffeine, 8 oz of drip coffee has 115-175mg and 9 oz of brewed has 80-135--a 16 oz starbucks grande clocks in at 330 while the highest caffeinated 12 oz soda, Jolt, still only clocks in at 71.

Thanks for the info!

Elaine

Unless your teens don't drink soda(my DS doesn't--hates the stuff!) or you don't allow charging on their Sea Pass cards, you may end up paying more than the cost of the soda card at the end of the trip.

Archived