4 bottle box of wine?

eandj

While we always carry on two bottles of wine on our X cruises, our friends who will be traveling with us this month, want to carry on a box of her favorite wine. She said it is equivalent to 4 bottles, she thought.

I haven't heard this is a probelm, but thought I'd double check so they aren't in for a "surprise" from our favorite cruiseline. Anyone know for sure???

Your bag is a lot more likely to have additional security screenings at the airport and the cruise port. Think about what your bag looks like on an X-ray, then think about how many times your bag will be opened to see what's in there.

Bags with suspicious stuff in them are more likely to be lost or delayed.

Go with the box wine. They (TSA) may go through your luggage anyway. Box wine will not break in your luggage and if you bring red and get the boxed wine with the spiggot on the bottom, the wine will be good for the whole week.

You will not be charged any corkage fee for wine that you serve in your room.

In late December, we drove to the port (well, to the hotel, which had a shuttle to the port and let us keep our car there). We had one of those boxes of wine in one suitcase and a bottle of champagne in another. Both suitcases were checked at the port and appeared at our cabin on Mercury within short order. No problems. :)

But as another poster noted, if you're flying, you may want to consider how that suitcase gets through security and gets opened, etc. :cool:

ETA: We had the white wine which fit in the cabin fridge. J had to turn it sideways for the door to close but otherwise it fit fine. And we brought it back home after closing it up and protecting the spigot with a bit of cardboard taped on (along with the unopened champagne) -- no damage to anything. Of course, if it had leaked, it wouldn't have stained anything as red wine might have.

S

There is a misunderstanding :o....The question isn't can my friends PACK a box of wine. Can they carry it onboard openly as we will our allowed two bottles of wine? No one is flying with or packing wine in a suitcase.

Just wondered if the fact that the box holds more than 2 bottles would be a problem at the port.

We don't drink our "personal" wine in the restaurants. We preorder wine from X for that.;)

While we always carry on two bottles of wine on our X cruises, our friends who will be traveling with us this month, want to carry on a box of her favorite wine. She said it is equivalent to 4 bottles, she thought.

I haven't heard this is a probelm, but thought I'd double check so they aren't in for a "surprise" from our favorite cruiseline. Anyone know for sure???

Celebrity rules clear say 2 BOTTLEs per stateroom, with no specification about size. I think your friend is asking about a 3 litre box of wine. Sorry, but there seems to be no clear answer to this. We have taken a 3 litre box on-board once with no trouble, but someone reported here on CC that even though they got two 1.5 litres through without trouble, their friends in the same line, same checkers had their 3 litre box confiscated. That does not a lot of sense since it is the same quantity, but since the rule says bottles it is hard to put up a good argument.

Thom

Thom, that is what I am afraid of. I guess I'll just tell them to not count on the box getting thru, (at least carried openly) and let them decide what they want to do. I'll have to look around as we board and see if any boxes Do make it by. Just can't get a definitive answer here.

There are many brands of boxed wine out there now. You can google reviews on the different choices. They have even been reviewed in Consumer Reports.

I don't normally buy it, but have very good glasses from boxes at different gatherings. One of my favorites, as I recall, was a very popular one bought at a Target. The brands and prices carried at different stores varies.

On the last flight I took on KLM & Delta, both airlines were using 750 ml boxes of wine (same size as wine bottle) instead of using individual bottles -- and the wine was pretty decent. I'm sure it cuts back on cost, waste, and storage space.

I'd still be leery of packing a small wine box in checked luggage which goes through the airport -- anything that's not familiar is likely to be pulled aside and opened.

Remember how horrifying screw tops were a few years ago? Now they're kinda trendy on nicer wines (esp from NZ). Expect to see more mid-range wines in boxes in the future.

Have never had boxed wine...know nothing about it. Are there some decent ones out there? I typically drink Cabernet. Would love to get a box or 2 for my Millie cruise in Sept.

I, too, would like to hear more about boxed wine. I've never tried it, but it seeems it would be a lot easier to carry than bottles. Are there good selections?

Check this site out. Just one of many.

http://www.aboutboxedwine.com/boxed-wine-is-good/discover-rate-review/

Reporting back, as promised. Bought a box of Black Box cabernet yesterday & tried it...pretty good. We have a favorite bottled wine & this comes pretty close, so I def. suggest that anyone interested try it. I was shocked that the box, equivalent to 4 bottles, was not that big. Def. a good idea for something to bring on board.

I just went to our local grocery store that happens to have a great wine selection as well as an expert wine advisor. I have asked his advice on fine wines from $50-$100 range as well as more reasonably priced selections. Being that we are cruising next week on the Solstice, I asked this wine expert about the boxed wines and was surprised to hear he likes several of them personally. So I took his advice and purchased a 3 liter box of Bota Box Pinot Grigio and we look forward to enjoying this on our balcony.

I thought about bringing some real nice Cabs and Syrahs for dinner but I'm worried about breakage in transit. I've decided to pack the box and just buy the reds at dinner from Celebrity.

Reporting back, as promised. Bought a box of Black Box cabernet yesterday & tried it...pretty good. We have a favorite bottled wine & this comes pretty close, so I def. suggest that anyone interested try it. I was shocked that the box, equivalent to 4 bottles, was not that big. Def. a good idea for something to bring on board.

We also like Black Box cab....surprisingly good alternative to our favorite bottle. I think BB will be the "bottle" of choice for us in a few weeks....

So glad to have found this thread. We discovered Black Box about 6 or 7 years ago and very seldom buy bottles these days. We really like a brand called Angel Juice Chardonnay. We also like Boho vineards Merlot. We do like the Shiraz that Black Box has too.

Our last cruise was almost 5 years ago and we brought the box, in our checked bags, then with no problems.

We are planning to do that on the next cruise (april) as well. If anyone else is cruising before then and has and luck -good or bad- bringing that aboard, we would love to hear about it.

Cheers

Box wine will get through just fine, unless they want to be picky about it. Should work just like a RumRunner. Although I usually like cab better, my favorite is Black Box Merlot Reserve. I can find it locally (Richmond, VA) as low as $20. Plus, with the spigot it doesn't go bad over the few weeks it may be open.

Archived