4 bottle box of wine?

eandj

Box wine will get through just fine, unless they want to be picky about it. Should work just like a RumRunner. Although I usually like cab better, my favorite is Black Box Merlot Reserve. I can find it locally (Richmond, VA) as low as $20. Plus, with the spigot it doesn't go bad over the few weeks it may be open.
I think spoilage is significantly reduced by the flexible plastic bladder within the box contracting as it is emptied so there is little air introduced to oxidize the wine.

Thom

I find it amazing that someone would take the chance of ruining a whole suitcase full of clothing to save a couple of bucks on wine.

You assume they are bad packers and they are trying to save money.

Pack well, enjoy in your room and at your leisure. Only RCI and Celebrity really sweat the the carryon/checked wine, other lines are much more flexible in the policy and the policy enforcement. NCL simply asks that you pay the corkage fee up front.

Box wines probably were developed for travel and weight needs as well as the "green" aspects. As they have gotten better quality they are will get more popular.

Cheers!

Why pack it with your clothes, I would have thought to pack it in hand luggage with sun lotions and toiletries takes all the worries about damage away, those flying in can purchase it in UK then pack it in the hand luggage and send it on board with all your own luggage

We also purchase the Celebrity package but it is nice to have this in the cabin especially if friends call in

Happy cruises to everyone

Skovgaard

You assume they are bad packers and they are trying to save money.

Pack well, enjoy in your room and at your leisure. Only RCI and Celebrity really sweat the the carryon/checked wine, other lines are much more flexible in the policy and the policy enforcement. NCL simply asks that you pay the corkage fee up front.

Box wines probably were developed for travel and weight needs as well as the "green" aspects. As they have gotten better quality they are will get more popular.

Cheers!

Sorry you think my post is dumb. I don't care how well you pack, the baggage handlers are experts at ruining suitcases and breaking things. I can understand buying wine before boarding and putting it in a carry on but I personally wouldn't chance packing it in checked luggage.

We carried on two boxes of Turning Leaf box wine for our Dec 17th Century cruise with no problems. The Turning Leaf brand was very good we had a Pinot Grigio and a Merlot (I believe). We liked these much better than the Black Box brand.

We will have to try those. I like Pinot Grigio and DH likes Merlot.....we'll have to give Turning Leaf a go.....

I find it amazing that someone would take the chance of ruining a whole suitcase full of clothing to save a couple of bucks on wine.

I think most here talking of putting the box in their checked luggage are talking about buying wine at the home port and instead of carrying it on openly and/or in their carry on, are saying to put it in the checked bags that are scanned and delivered to your room. The weight of the wine, could surely make an overpacked bag into an over weight suitcase with fees if trying to fly with it.

MANY people pack glass bottles in their suitcases with no bad side effects. Obviously you wrap it in bubble wrap and put in a zip lock bag. Simple and harmless to your clothing.

Some people may see the "saving a couple bucks" , which in actuality can be four times as expensive when buying on the ship, is worth the preplanning and carrying. X DOES offer the option to carry on wine, so your not understanding it, is your view point ( I hope) and not a criticism of how people cruise. ;)

I think spoilage is significantly reduced by the flexible plastic bladder within the box contracting as it is emptied so there is little air introduced to oxidize the wine.

Thom

I have read that some cruisers take the bag OUT of the box to make it easier to pack. Especially if actually packing in luggagge that you are flying with. You can then collapse the box and take it along if you want to reinsert the bag when you get to your room. The bag alone becomes a rum runner. Just put it in a freezer double zip lock bag. You'll be good to go. Beware of your suitcase weight tho!

I think most here talking of putting the box in their checked luggage are talking about buying wine at the home port and instead of carrying it on openly and/or in their carry on, are saying to put it in the checked bags that are scanned and delivered to your room. The weight of the wine, could surely make an overpacked bag into an over weight suitcase with fees if trying to fly with it.

MANY people pack glass bottles in their suitcases with no bad side effects. Obviously you wrap it in bubble wrap and put in a zip lock bag. Simple and harmless to your clothing.

Some people may see the "saving a couple bucks" , which in actuality can be four times as expensive when buying on the ship, is worth the preplanning and carrying. X DOES offer the option to carry on wine, so your not understanding it, is your view point ( I hope) and not a criticism of how people cruise. ;)

I think I made it clear that it is something "I" wouldn't do. We had someone at our dinner table who packed boxed red wine in the suitcase and it was crushed and ruined every piece of clothing in the suitcase. I also said I would carry it on, but that's not what I referenced. These people are talking about packing it in checked luggage. To me taking a chance of ruining a suitcase full of clothing is not worth saving "a few bucks". Carrying it on is always an option.

Archived