Cairns tour question

royal65

We will be in Cairns and are especially looking forward to seeing the GBR, I by snorkeling, my wife by glass bottom boat or semi-sub. After researching, I've preety much decided that Quicksilver would be our best tour operator. Their biggest negative seems to be the large number of other people you have to share the reef with. Just how bad is that and has anyone had any other negative experiences with them? Anyone used someone else you feel is better?

thanx

royal65

Quicksilver is a large boat for about 300 pax. They go to a pontoon and join others. So you're sharing one reef location with hundreds of others, but have amenities like showers, observation rooms, semi-submersibles, etc.

The same company has a fleet of boats, and we used Silversonic out of Cairns. There were about 100 on board, about 50/50 divers and snorkelers. They go to 3 different reef locations that vary depending on sea and visibility conditions and spend about 90 minutes at each site. The crew did a good job of interleaving the divers and snorkelers so they didn't get in each other's way and we never felt divers were more "important" than snorkelers (both common complaints with many GBR tours). The buffet food was surprisingly good. If you're going out of Port Doug there's a sister ship (Silversonic?) with the same size groups.

If your goal is to maximize time in the water I recommend skipping all the extras and keeping with the basics by taking a smaller tour that visits multiple sites. The tours with glass bottom boats, etc. have to have enough people to justify the cost of operation. GBR will probably be a highlight of your trip no matter what you decide!

We went to the GBR with Quicksilver in November from Port Douglas. The times from Cairns didn't work for us. I was hesitant to book with them as I don't like to snorkel with a crowd. My DH is less of a water person and I thought that he would prefer the platform so we booked it.

When we were there the platform was far from full and there were many empty tables. The beginners snorkeling area was packed and they were bumping into each other. Those of us who were more advanced and willing to swim out far from the platform (take a noodle or life vest if you are worried) had plenty of room.

We were pleasantly surprised by how good the lunch was as the reviews we had read were mixed. Both of us really enjoyed the semi-submersible sub and I would highly recommended it and there was no additional charge for it.

Many people got sea-sick on both the trip out and back. Those of us who sat up on the top deck seemed to fair the best. Neither DH or myself took any meds but we sat outside and forward with lots of wind but a clear view of the horizon.

Despite being a big company we felt that they offered good service and I would recommend this trip to others as long as you have snorkeled a few times before. Those that are going for the first time might want to go with a smaller outfit that would offer assistance in choosing the right fins and adjusting the mask.

Although really, why would you go all the way to the GBR to learn to snorkel?

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Archived