Silly Q'n Passports Southern Caribbean

Embracedbylife

Hi, we are cruising out of San Juan for 7 nights Southern Caribbean. I know when we went to San Juan on our own last year we didn't bring passports as we just stayed in PR, but i'm assuming we are required to bring passports to our San Juan Cruise as we'll be going to Aruba, Grenada, Dominca etc returning to San Juan. Could anyone just confirm this?

Why wouldn't you bring them? :confused: We did when we were on the CB last week. It makes checking in for flights SO much easier, going through security easier and boarding easier. You don't really have to have them for the Caribbean right now, but why not bring them? Even when we go ashore, I bring a small laminated photocopy of the passport's first page for each of us. If we ever get left onshore, it's better than nothing and may aid in a flight to a neighboring island to meet the ship.

We didn't bring them to PR last year because PR is part of the US, and that was our only stop - so it's like flying from NY to California and brining them - we just didn't. But in this case it makes sense as not all these islands are part of the US so i figured as much, just making sure!

Lisa, we do what Colo does too. We bring them every time we fly, even if it's just from So. Cal. to Las Vegas. It makes life easier and the TSA people don't question them as much as they do birth certificates. Plus, you can scan them in the machines when you check your bags with some airlines and that saves time at the check-in counter.

I tend to agree with all... you don't need 'em if in the US (and US locations) but do for others. I tend to want to be repaired - so I always take them anyway. But, having been assigned to a couple AMEmbassy's in my not-so-remote past, maybe I just like having a passport. Bottom-line, PR and US Virgin Islands are in - "in" - the US (i.e.: clue, the US Virgin Islands....) and you should not (one would assume and hope!) need a passport to travel there. But,,,, Take it anyway... you might take a short hop 'somewhere' outside the US...... and end up needing it anyway.... right? And, they are good everywhere and for 10 years too!

This is all true! We were assuming to bring them, but I just wanted to make sure everyone else does. I'd prefer not to take it when unnecessary as I don't want to loose it (it took a lot to get it - long story) but we'll be brining them, so we are good! :) I'll bring photocopies to take off the ship with me and just leave it in the safe! Thanks again!

Archived