Your experience of elegant night on Carnival?

Baxter

In speaking with someone who recently sailed on Carnival, I was told that men wearing jackets to dinner were in the minority and, in a lot of cases, ties were not a popular choice on elegant night.

I know that you will always see a variety of clothes, and that one should dress as they wish. That said, we haven't sailed since the mainstream cruiselines moved from formal night to "elegant" night.

Statistically, what do you see most often on men on elegant night? Suit? Jacket, tie and pants? Dress shirt and pants (no tie)? Overalls and a straw hat?

No to the Overalls and Straw Hat.;)

We have sailed only on the west coast cruises.

For the 3-4 day cruises, DH will wear a nice Hawaiian shirt (like a Tommy Bahama or Guayabera), a new pair of Dockers and his dark brown walking shoes.

On a 7 day he will wear a long-sleeve dress shirt and a tie.

On the 3/4 dayers he is in a large minority, more seem to wear a combo of dress shirt with a tie or jacket. Few jackets and ties. Tuxes seem to be worn by the Wedding Party set for pictures.

The 7day cruises the minimum seems to be the combo of dress shirt with a tie or jacket. With more wearing jacket and tie. A few in tuxes.

DH would rather pack a tie than a jacket.

After dinner and about the ship some will stay in their fancy clothes and some will have changed back to their everyday clothes.

Women seem to wear the same kind of clothes. Black slacks and a sparkly top, nice 'church' dresses and 'going to wedding' dresses. Few wear long gowns.

We cruised out of Galveston last May and the men at our table all had either sport coats and tie or suit and tie. The women had either fancy cocktail dresses or long gowns. The only other people I noticed were in line ahead of us for pictures and they were all dressed similarly.

On our 2 Carnival cruises, both 7 night, it seemed that most men did wear a suit and tie or at least a nice jacket and tie on the elegant nights. On the last one on the Valor the dining room was full on the elegant nights and the large majority were dressed up.

My hubby took a coat, dress shirt, tie and slacks on our first cruise and he was miserable dressing up for dinner. Looked good for our elegant night pictures though;) On our last cruise he took slacks and casual Tommy Bahama type shirts and that's what he wore for dinner in the evenings. You will see all kinds and types of clothing worn, just no shorts on the more formal nights.

DH wears a tux and I wear a cocktail dress for elegant nights. That's just us - we enjoy the chance to dress up. I would say that the majority of cruisers wear shirt/tie/jacket and nice dress. As long as it's not the overalls and straw hat:D, I don't care what anyone wears.

My husband wore a dress shirt and tie. I bought him a jacket for our upcoming cruise. The other men were the same- I did not see many jackets, but did see a lot of ties. I was surprised at how much everyone seemed to dress up for most of the time. I was in shorts and tank tops while most other women were in sundresses!

Archived