Dream foul smell

sdestiny

LOL sorry. Just slang for someone trying to shut you down and you had your facts right off CC news to back it up. Not against you at all. :)

Figured. Do you really think that there is not a problem on this ship and that Carnival is not aware of it? Even the feedback the OP had from Carnival shows that they know about it. How it will impact the individual cruiser will depend upon the cruiser, of course. But in my case, for example, my son has epilepsy triggered by smells. That would make for a really fun time. And I am super sensitive to smells, as are my other children. Just ignoring it would not be an option- the nose knows.

Owned has now spread beyond computer and gaming contexts and become part of standard slang, and typically follows severe defeat or humiliation, usually in an amusing way or through the dominance of an opposing party

Hey- I know what LOL meant- for an old lady that's not bad. Just asked my kid for a translation of the rest of it. If I understand correctly my response would be- Saying don't make it so.

Figured. Do you really think that there is not a problem on this ship and that Carnival is not aware of it? Even the feedback the OP had from Carnival shows that they know about it. How it will impact the individual cruiser will depend upon the cruiser, of course. But in my case, for example, my son has epilepsy triggered by smells. That would make for a really fun time. And I am super sensitive to smells, as are my other children. Just ignoring it would not be an option- the nose knows.

It seems obvious that there has to be some kind of problem. It sounds like it is not all the time and only in certain areas. We did have a bad sewage smell in our room on the Inspiration back in 2006 that lasted all 5 days.

It was not pleasant, but ever since we took air freshener with us and have not run into any problems. The Holiday had alot of complaints here about smells too but never ran into it in 2008.

For most people it is just a nusance but with your kid that is where it could be a problem. I guess if you ran into that in your room you could request a new room and keep good docs on it if it caused a medical reaction.

This will be our 9th cruise and first on Carnival and have experienced "odors" on only one of these previous cruises............learned to walk faster down the corridor and then enjoyed the rest of the vacation.

The reports on this smell seems to have it move around from stories in different posts that have it located from anywhere aft on Deck 2 near the Cove Balcony cabins all the way up to forward on Deck 9................one strange moving odor if you ask me.:cool:

Will have to learn to walk even faster on 1/23 to keep ahead of this sucker!! No problem if it doesn't attack the Lido;)

I highly doubt your little girls would remember it at all even if they noticed unless you put the thought in their heads, but in your case, I think you should cancel.

You know, I am now >60 years old. When I was 4 I visited my homeland. Taking my baby brother for a walk down the street one afternoon I passed by an open basement window with wet coal smells wafting out. Now some 60 years later the smell of wet coal, rarely encountered I admit, brings me right back to that damp street corner. And when I was 20 I was in Morocco. The smell of certain spices takes me back to the petit socco in Tangiers. Smells hit a very ancient and powerful part of the brain.

You know, I am now >60 years old. When I was 4 I visited my homeland. Taking my baby brother for a walk down the street one afternoon I passed by an open basement window with wet coal smells wafting out. Now some 60 years later the smell of wet coal, rarely encountered I admit, brings me right back to that damp street corner. And when I was 20 I was in Morocco. The smell of certain spices takes me back to the petit socco in Tangiers. Smells hit a very ancient and powerful part of the brain.

Well I guess if there are odors on the Dream we had all better hope they hit a part of the brain that brings back memories as good as those in this post.

What you say is very true.....snow in January triggers morning sickness.

This will be our 9th cruise and first on Carnival and have experienced "odors" on only one of these previous cruises............learned to walk faster down the corridor and then enjoyed the rest of the vacation.

The reports on this smell seems to have it move around from stories in different posts that have it located from anywhere aft on Deck 2 near the Cove Balcony cabins all the way up to forward on Deck 9................one strange moving odor if you ask me.:cool:

Will have to learn to walk even faster on 1/23 to keep ahead of this sucker!! No problem if it doesn't attack the Lido;)

You'll have to let me know if you encounter the smells on Lido! So far we have 4 rooms booked on Lido, and probably 2 more rooms elsewhere on the ship.

To the OP: From my understanding, you are going to Disney for the 3 days prior to your cruise. If Carnival offers your money back, why not book your cruise with Disney? I know they have several busses travelling from Orlando to Port Canaveral every Saturday, and it would be more suited for your children. You'd be able to tell them that Mickey and friends had so much fun with them at the parks, they decided to go on the cruise with them! I hope all works out for you, and that you and your family makes special memories that will last a lifetime!

Just got off the Dream today. I will write a review this week but for now...yes there was a foul smell occasionally. It usually was in the elevators. This smell will not affect your cruise enjoyment, whatsoever. It was not that strong and not everywhere on the ship. Occasionally, we did smell diesel fuel in the hallways, but it never lingered. Enjoy your cruise!!!:)

Never smelled a bad odor on Dream during Bloggers Cruise Dec. 3-12, but did get an occasional whiff on Jan. 2-9 cruise. Had a cabin on deck 11 near the atrium (not a spa room) & thoroughly enjoyed the spa aroma therapy scent that was pumped through the ventilation system presumably to counter the stinkies during a very windy portion of the cruise. The few times the odor was evident it was localized, didn't last long & certainly did not effect the enjoyment of another wonderful Dream cruise.

First cruise on Carnival for us was the Christmas cruise on the Dream. There was an occasional minor wafting-type odor. Never really worried about it, nor did it cause any of us (me, wife, three kids) any concern at all.

My wife and I cruised Enchantment of the Seas last year, which had a much worse smell. It was nearly a constant feature on deck 2, where our cabin was. Still didn't care about it and had a great time.

Bottom line is I think many posters here are correct in saying that worrying beforehand about smells, or seasickness, or bad food, etc. will set people up to find those problems. I knew about the Enchantment smell issue before we went (thanks to Cruise Critic!), but for us cruises are such highly anticipated and exciting events that we decided we could tough it out. Besides, having kids seems to innoculate parents from a variety of smell-related issues. We definitely remember the smell, but my wife and I joke about it now and very positively remember our time at Sting Ray City and our all-inclusive resort day in Montego Bay (Our itinerary was switched to Jamaica from Cozumel when the swine flu had its outbreak. This is something else many people were up in arms about - the itineray change. We had already booked a day at Nachi Cocum in Cozumel, but since we'd never been to either place, we equally anticipated a great time at the Jamaican resort.)

Our memories of the Dream smells are very faint, as was the odor when it occured, and this issue doesn't come up in our reminiscing about our "Dream" Christmas at all. Our three kids never mentioned it on the cruise and don't talk about it now. Instead, we hear from them about the dance parties and scavenger hunts they had, and my wife and I talk about the great time we had snorkeling in St. Maarten, the beauty of Trunk Bay, and the unbelievable deals she got on knockoff/"acquired" purses she bought in Nassau.

I would be afraid the original poster has already ruined his vacation with the worry expressed in the first post of this thread. Lemons can either be sour or used to make fantastic lemonade. From the sounds of things, the OP has yet to see any lemons, but they are already terribly sour. If he could perhaps find a little more sugar to sweeten the anticipation (and maybe hide whatver odor he encounters), that would be a great help. Otherwise, extending the Disney portion of this vacation may be a better way to go.

I think this thing has definately taken on a life of it's own. My original point was that it seemed ridiculous to pay for a vacation, and already know there was going to be sewer odors onboard and that Carnival shouldn't put their guests in that situation. Unknown to me, it seems like sewer type smells are a more common occurance on ships then I have ever heard. Like I said, I have been on 4 cruises on RCCL and I have never noticed a bad smell and therefore didn't think that was ever an issue on ships. I have also traveled a lot to many nice hotels and I have never had to deal with sewer odors. I have read terrible reviews of hotels before I traveled and then ended up loving the hotel and I couldn't believe they were talking about the same hotel I stayed at. This just seemed to be a very common complaint, among even people who liked the cruise and that was a cause of concern. So I guess maybe what I can take from this is that I have been very lucky until now. I still believe that this issue seems to be a bigger problem than normal and I hope they do try and correct the problem even further before my cruise. It's admirable for the those cruisers to say, just forget about, enjoy yourself, oh well...., but unless consumers demand more, and demand that they are provided with a quality product for their dollars, then issues like this would become even more common place. That's what drives quality. Customer service, reputation, word of mouth.... Sometimes you have to say "wait a minute, this isn't right" and not just oh well, I'll just deal with it and hope for the best. I guess it's just different points of view. I wouldn't let it affect my enjoyment, but I also don't like being taken advantage of. Thanks for all the posts. It really did help make me feel a little better that these types of odors are more common than I originally knew about.

We were on the Dream on the 9 day December 2009 cruise.

The only place I smelled sewer was near the pool area mid ship about 10:00 a.m. It was only when the wind blew a certain way,and it was very mild, but noticeable. We spent alot of time in this area at all times of the day and only smelled that odor at that time of day. We were thoughout most of the ship, and never smelled anything anywhere else.

It was not enough for the passengers to discuss amongst themselves. I did notice it............. but nothing more than a passing unpleasant odor.

We are going back on the Dream in April with other relatives. I don't expect there to be a problem. Nor am I worried about my return cruise.

Hope this helps a bit.

I can concur with Angel....on the Fantasy it was like hitting a wall when you came out of the elevator. They did eventually get the problem fixed.

I will be on the Triumph with you next month.......so you cannot blame me if you smell it again. :)

Dave

Archived