Scooter and charging it at night

My brother in laws mother will be traveling with us and she will be renting a scooter. They have a balcony room so they do have a bit more room. How do you make room to charge the scooter and have room for 3 people to move around the room? Do they have any place on the ship you can leave the scooter for the night and charge it?:rolleyes:

Why not just call RC customers service and ask?

I don't think that's the answer they were looking for.

I have not done this before but wondered if you were unable to get an accessible cabin? If one is available you should switch so the scooter will fit right in the cabin. I do know that's possible.

On RCI you will probably will not be able to get the scooter in the cabin as the sitting area is in the back of the cabin and the bed sticks out too far to be able to get a scooter past it. Celebrity will pick up your scooter and store and charge it at night and return it in the AM, so I am hopeful that RCI will do the same. I have used a scooter on my last 8 cruises and have had either a JR Suite, minimum , or a Handicap balcony cabin and both have ample room between bed and bulkhead, good luck with your problem.

Glenn :D

It seems like the last couple I've been on, there were a few left out in the hallway to charge? Our deck in particular seemed to be Scooter Central-on the walk from the elevators back to our aft stateroom, there were probably four in the hallway. I swear I saw cords.

I have no experience with scooters, but I agree that I´ve ssen them in the hallway and also have to say that I don´t think it´s a good idea as I think there is just not enough room in the hallways for them.

A balcony room with 3 persons is tight already and I can´t see you storing a scooter in there. I even doubt it would fit through the door. You need to contact special needs about this.

A few thoughts that may help you:

1) Post this on the disabled traveler thread and see what others with experience have to say.

2) I have been investigating this for quite some time to take my mom on a cruise and have learned the rental scooters are usually the larger scooters which will leave much less room/no room in a regular balcony cabin. IMO, there is no way a rental scooter plus two others will fit comfortably in a regular balcony cabin. way too tight.

my mom owns her own go-go scooter that is easily broken down. RCCL says it will "fit" through the a regular cabin door but we have not had a chance to try this yet. If not, we will have to break it down at night to bring it in to charge.

We were to leave 1/17/10 with her on a cruise but she became ill and cannot travel this week. our plan was to only leave the scooter in the hallway for quick stops at the cabin or a short nap. otherwise we feel we need to bring it in the cabin to keep it safe and to keep the hallways clear for our fellow cruisers.

Since cabins are so small and handicapped balcony cabins are hard to come by, we had her book her own balcony cabin next to ours. We had planned on moving the table in front of the couch so she could park her scooter there. her battery will charge off the scooter so we planned on moving the battery closer to a plug at night.

hope this helps...

My brother in laws mother will be traveling with us and she will be renting a scooter. They have a balcony room so they do have a bit more room. How do you make room to charge the scooter and have room for 3 people to move around the room? Do they have any place on the ship you can leave the scooter for the night and charge it?:rolleyes:

Have first hand knowledge as I cruise regularly with a scooter.In the future you are best to post these questions on the "DISABLE CRUISE TRAVEL FORUM" in the Special Interest Cruising Section.

When traveling with a mobiltiy scooter these are some very important things to note:

• Cruise Line and Coast Guide Safety regulations require that all such mobility equipment be stored in the passenger's cabin. Cruise lines DO NOT STORE and/or charge this equipment for you else where on the ship. Though some people will tell you that they were allowed to store it in the hallway , you cannot and should not plan for that to happen. In this case cruise personnel were certainly not doing there job to ensure the safety of their passengers. overnight,

• When traveling with a mobility scooter you need to book a handicap cabin to ensure that the scooter will fit through the cabin doorway. Also to be certain that you have suffcient room to safely move around the cabin , particularly since you plan to have 3 people in the cabin .

• If your scooter is anywider than 19" it will NOT fit through the door of a standard cabin. The standard cabin doorway is 21" but you have to deduct 2" for the actual door width that cuts into threshold when opened.

• If any ports are designated as "TENDER", than you need to be prepared to not be allowed to board the tender with you scooter. In this case it would be good to also bring a foldable wheelchair.

I do not think it is wise to be led by posters who say "....I saw 3 or 4 scooters parked in the hallway every night" What you should pay strict attention to is the rules that RCCL has made for this - quoted verbatim above. The reasons for their rules are several, but primarily because the US Coast Guard does not permit it and several cruise lines have been sued by passengers who have fallen over either the scooter or charging cord. It has become a question of legal liability.

We have been on several cruises, RCCL, HAL and Princess when passengers were told they could not park scooters in the hallways, but then there are always those who push the envelope as far as then can, unfortunately:(

Archived