Passport procedure

-ClevelandRocks-

Well, some may disagree, but we always take ours with us, because you just never know what may happen while you are in port and unfortunately copies may not do you any good if an emergency were to occur. I always take a "tote" bag to put all of our items in and have never had a problem, not to say that something could happen. I know you are going to get a lot of personal opinions, so you will just have to decide for yourself.

I have a travel wallet that goes around my neck. My passport "lives" there all the time on shore.

Technically people are not supposed to make copies of their passports. I know I know , everyone does it BUT when I asked at Kinkos for some help to make my color copy smaller , I was told it was illegal for them to help me as it was considered "counterfeiting".

As one poster said - you are going to get different answers. The whole purpose of US getting passports was to have them with us when we are in different countries, whether we travel by air, land or ship. I keep a copy of the two pages only in the safe and passport stays in safe until we debark - at that point they are with us. If we miss the ship (God forbid) then we have our passports, they won't do us much good locked in the safe. A copy will only expediate getting a new one whereever you may be but you cannot travel with a copy. People will also say "what if you lose it" well just be careful as you are with your wallet, credit cards, DL etc.

There too much crime and black market for US passports. I have never taken

my on shore in 10+ cruises.

If you should have a copy and have a issue the American embassy will be able

to help you with a passport #.

I have even heard the CD advise several times NOT to take them into port.

Bottom line is you don't need them to get off or on the ship. But you need

to make the decision what you feel is best for you.

It is not illegal to make a photocopy of the data page of your US passport or any VISAs in the passport. The Department of State even recommends it. See http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/tips_1232.html and http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/19795.pdf .

It is illegal to copy the passport for the purpose of committing fraud.

The whole point of a passport is to prove your identity on foreign soil. A copy will not help you if you need to fly home from an island or other foreign port. We always take ours and use the same precautions that we do with cash, credit cards, driver's license, etc. I don't understand why you would be more likely to lose a passport than the others listed. Just be careful with it and be aware of your surroundings - just like anyplace in the US.

Archived