Too chilly to swim right now??

barbaraanne

I've been watching the web cam at Royal Palms of the beach. I haven't see anyone swimming today. Also see people wearing long sleeves. Is this unusually cold weather in Grand Cayman right now?

I'm wondering if going on an early morning snorkel excursion on Feb. 1 will be a bit nippy? hmm...maybe we should plan a land based activity?? This has been an unusually cold winter up here in the states...just wondering if it is affecting Grand Cayman?

Weather forecast for Monday shows a high in the low 70s, with the overnight low dipping to the mid 60s. Add in northeast winds at 25 knots and it feels quite brisk to anyone getting out of the water.

Yes, that is unusually cold for Cayman.

But remember that the ocean cannot cool down nearly as fast as the air. Water is still about 81 degrees.

Weather forecast for Monday shows a high in the low 70s, with the overnight low dipping to the mid 60s. Add in northeast winds at 25 knots and it feels quite brisk to anyone getting out of the water.

Yes, that is unusually cold for Cayman.

But remember that the ocean cannot cool down nearly as fast as the air. Water is still about 81 degrees.

Is it supposed to warm up this week, we will be there on the 19th?

Thanks

I've been watching the web cam at Royal Palms of the beach. I haven't see anyone swimming today. Also see people wearing long sleeves. Is this unusually cold weather in Grand Cayman right now?

I'm wondering if going on an early morning snorkel excursion on Feb. 1 will be a bit nippy? hmm...maybe we should plan a land based activity?? This has been an unusually cold winter up here in the states...just wondering if it is affecting Grand Cayman?

Just got back today and very sorry to deliver the bad news but the truth is that it was unusually darn cold on our cruise, especially in Grand Cayman. Our Stingray City excursion was cancelled because of choppy seas. We went to Royal Palms instead and it was very nice BUT none of us felt we wanted to swim given the air temp and the wind (and we are from the Northeast). We'd have done something "land based" except that the pickins are mightly slim in that area on Grand Cayman. Everything worthwhile pretty much means you'll be getting wet unless you're into Diamonds International type shopping.

Just got back today and very sorry to deliver the bad news but the truth is that it was unusually darn cold on our cruise' date=' especially in Grand Cayman. Our Stingray City excursion was cancelled because of choppy seas. We went to Royal Palms instead and it was very nice BUT none of us felt we wanted to swim given the air temp and the wind (and we are from the Northeast). We'd have done something "land based" except that the pickins are mightly slim in that area on Grand Cayman. Everything worthwhile pretty much means you'll be getting wet unless you're into Diamonds International type shopping.[/quote']

EEk. How warm was it at the other ports you visited? Were you able to swim or sunbathe at all anywhere, even on ship? I'm sorry to hear it was so cold for you. I have the feeling it is going to be cold for us too!

We just got back yesterday from our cruise. It was very windy in the Caymans, but temp was low 70's and sunny on our day in port.

We did the Dolphin Discovery Swim and the Green turtle farm. Was dreading getting in the water with the dolphins, but it was in a large pool, so even though it was a bit cool for me I was comfortable for my hour in the water.

The ocean was way too choppy to swim in where we were that day.

EEk. How warm was it at the other ports you visited? Were you able to swim or sunbathe at all anywhere, even on ship? I'm sorry to hear it was so cold for you. I have the feeling it is going to be cold for us too!

Last week it really depended on if the sun was out or not. The water temperatures were not bad at all as long as it wasn't overcast and windy like it was in Cayman. We had sunshine in Cozumel and Roatan and enjoyed swimming in both those ports. It was overcast and drizzled most of the day in Belize but we went cave tubing and ATVing anyway and had a good time although it was a bit too chilly for it.

Returned to Miami on Monday. It was rainy and cool the day we were in the Caymans but we decided to go to Stingray City and snorkeling anyway. Booked tour with Stingray Sailing, highly recommend them. It did stop raining before we sailed, but no sun. The water was quite warm so I would not let the weather stop you from going out. It was chilly when we got out but with a towel and t-shirt it was ok. It was a really fun experience so as long as the tour goes out I would recommend going. The tour we were on was only about 3 hours and the warm shower back on the Jewel felt really good.

I know this is a week after you posted, but it caught my eye. As it was way below freezing in Atlanta, I went on the weatherchannel website, and pulled up all the ports we are going to (Cayman on the Feb 2nd) I checked everyday for the whole week. And yes it was cool. Cozumel had an afternoon temperature of 59 one day, The Caymans came in at high 60's for 5 days in a row. This is about 20 degrees colder than the average temperature that is advertised on the Carnival website. So this year, I am packing an extra item. SWEATER!:eek:

The cold snap of the past week or so in Cayman was part of that same cold front that hit Florida. The temperatures are fabulous again (84 during the day, according to my parents who are there right now) so I wouldn't worry too much.

Archived