The NEW I Work in Port Canaveral Thread!

psblin99

I need some assistance! We (the two of us) fly into Melbourne Airport for our Cruise on the Dream. We will stay 1 night in a hotel before. I would love to hear your opinions on the least expensive way to do this. We would fly into MCO but it is $100+ more per person!

As far as hotel we would love to have an ocean view but it is hard to tell if you have an ocean view from many of the hotels not ON the beach. Any suggestions?

First off Melbourne is not close to the beach, but if you go to A1A to Melbourne Beach, you will find a number of hotels/motels. check out http://www.visitmelbournebeach.com and you can get an idea of what you are looking at - There is a nice Holiday Inn in Satelitte Beach right on the ocean - well all the hotels are going to be on the ocean - to get to the port, you just keep heading North on A1A and it is a straight shot to the port.

Hope that will give you a little heads up

Edited by snelsonbrown

Thanks Shirley!

We have decided that we will either rent a car in Melbourne airport and drive to Cocoa Beach and stay 1 night in the hotel or take a taxi or shuttle from airport to hotel. Do the shuttles take you anywhere or just to the port? What Hotel would you recommend for a couple who isn't into public pools, bars, museums, or arcades but do like dolphins and ocean views? Free breakfast is not draw nor is cruise package because we will have a rental just for the 1 day. Free wifi is a huge plus! Thanks!

Thanks Shirley!

We have decided that we will either rent a car in Melbourne airport and drive to Cocoa Beach and stay 1 night in the hotel or take a taxi or shuttle from airport to hotel. Do the shuttles take you anywhere or just to the port? What Hotel would you recommend for a couple who isn't into public pools, bars, museums, or arcades but do like dolphins and ocean views? Free breakfast is not draw nor is cruise package because we will have a rental just for the 1 day. Free wifi is a huge plus! Thanks!

Your SUPER BEST bet is contact the Chamber of Commerce there in Melbourne - they are awesome about giving you the best directions as choices to stay, places to go etc- I would rent a car that is compabale with the ones we have here in Cape Canaveral and besides that, the drive along A1A is breathtaking - I LOVE the drive on A1A South coming North and the best part, you are here at the port before you know it. Now as for dolphins, you won't see them very close in the ocean for they mainly stay on the river side and you are lucky if you can catch a peek at them - here at my patio, I usually see them feeling early in the AM but again not often - any of the hotels on the beachside has beautiful views of the ocean - I think so anyhow - being from an island that is surrounded by water, I appreciate the ocean and river and find it very peaceful and calming - anyhow good luck and enjoy your stay -

MARCH 19, 2010 UPDATE

I wanted to take this time to share a few things with you - first and foremost, PLEASE PLEASE be aware of the very strict speed limit coming from hway 528 on to Astrounaut Blvd on to A1A (all of the mentioned name is highway 528 AKA A1A) - there are policemen in unmarked cars, motorcycles, etc waiting for those that break the speed limit AND seat belt violations plus drinking, texting - you name it - please play safe if only for your families sake ok? Remember the speed goes from 55 to 45 to 35 and then back to 45.

Now to the good part - starting April 2 through May 1st, there is going to be a huge sand sculpture

contest going on a huge empty lot between the Radisson and Zackery's Restaurant - the whole area has been fenced off to protect all the art work and the fee is reasonable, but the talent is going to be breathtaking - there is already a sample sitting in front of Ron Jon's - I know you could enjoy seeing this art work if you have time.

Second - the Manatee park behind the Radisson will be showing family movies every Friday starting at about 6PM - you can ask any of the hotels you may be staying at for more information - it is another form of entertainment if you feel you would be interested.

THIRD AND MOST IMPORTANT - WE ARE GETTING WARMER AND WARMER WEATHER.

OMG since December 28th, we have broke all records for cold weather and we are finally able to see green shoots emerging from what we thought were dead plants and trees. Now you will be able to go home with a real and beautiful suntan and a huge smile

That is all for now but as I learn more will post ok

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by snelsonbrown

MARCH 19, 2010 UPDATE

I wanted to take this time to share a few things with you - first and foremost, PLEASE PLEASE be aware of the very strict speed limit coming from hway 528 on to Astrounaut Blvd on to A1A (all of the mentioned name is highway 528 AKA A1A) - there are policemen in unmarked cars, motorcycles, etc waiting for those that break the speed limit AND seat belt violations plus drinking, texting - you name it - please play safe if only for your families sake ok? Remember the speed goes from 55 to 45 to 35 and then back to 45.

Now to the good part - starting April 2 through May 1st, there is going to be a huge sand sculpture

contest going on a huge empty lot between the Radisson and Zackery's Restaurant - the whole area has been fenced off to protect all the art work and the fee is reasonable, but the talent is going to be breathtaking - there is already a sample sitting in front of Ron Jon's - I know you could enjoy seeing this art work if you have time.

Second - the Manatee park behind the Radisson will be showing family movies every Friday starting at about 6PM - you can ask any of the hotels you may be staying at for more information - it is another form of entertainment if you feel you would be interested.

THIRD AND MOST IMPORTANT - WE ARE GETTING WARMER AND WARMER WEATHER.

OMG since December 28th, we have broke all records for cold weather and we are finally able to see green shoots emerging from what we thought were dead plants and trees. Now you will be able to go home with a real and beautiful suntan and a huge smile

That is all for now but as I learn more will post ok

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info. We are sailing out of Miami this time, but we will be driving from Miami to Jacksonville after our cruise on Friday April 2nd. We may swing through Cape Canaveral to see what all you guys have going on. I have a bunch of questions:

• Is there anything you can see at the sand sculpture without paying to get in?
  • Do you know what the fee is?
  • Where is Ron Jon's? We have never ventured any farther than the Radisson.
  • We don't want to take the time to drive A1A the whole way. Where would be a good place to detor from the freeway over to A1A for a short while before heading back a little inland?

Thanks so much. I wish we were sailing from Port Canaveral, but alas, we wanted to try a new cruise line and the Sky sails from Miami. :rolleyes:

I'm looking for a beach front hotel near all (restaurants, bars, pier?) out of the Hampton Inn and Double tree which would be the better hotel?

OK - now the Doubletree is across the street from a shopping mall and the only restaurant is an Italian in that mall - shopping is limited and nope you are not close to the pier BUT the DT is right on the ocean and they do have a nice bar and lounge there.

The Hampton Inn is nice also but not right on the beach, but you can walk not only to the beach but there are also so many places there - you have ron Jon's, shopping, restaurants etc -

whichever choice you make, I believe you will enjoy yourself.

Hope that helped you some

Edited by snelsonbrown

I just wanted to share a hotel rate that I was just able to secure through easyclick. I'd been looking into Priceline and trying out some bids, so I'm glad they were unsuccessful. Unlike PL or Hotwire, on this site you know which hotel you're getting. This is for 1 nights stay on 11/13/10

Anyway, here's what I got:

International Palms Resort and Conference Center (Formerly Holiday Inn)

1300 North Atlantic Avenue Cocoa Beach Florida 32931

Total Cost : 47.21 USD

I checked TripAdvisor and one of the negatives was that the rooms needed some work. Otherwise, it's right on the beach and clean. Since I'm only looking for a room in between cruises, I figured that the price was right.

Again, just wanted to share.

OK - now the Doubletree is across the street from a shopping mall and the only restaurant is an Italian in that mall - shopping is limited and nope you are not close to the pier BUT the DT is right on the ocean and they do have a nice bar and lounge there.

The Hampton Inn is nice also but not right on the beach, but you can walk not only to the beach but there are also so many places there - you have ron Jon's, shopping, restaurants etc -

whichever choice you make, I believe you will enjoy yourself.

Hope that helped you some

Shirley,

Thank you for your reply, it helped a great deal. I crossed DT off my list since it sounds like there isn't much entertainment in that area. So now between the Hampton Inn, Best Western and La Quinta which one would you suggest. I'm trying to stay on a budget since it's only for one night, but I don't want to end up at a dump either. Oceanfront would be great, but if it's 1/2 block from the beach, I wouldn't really mind. I want to be close to the beach, walking distance to nightly entertainment, and a nice, decent, clean hotel. I don't mind if there is a shuttle to the port because I can always take a taxi.

Right next to Ron Jon's, and about a 1 block walk to the beach is an independent, family owned place called Fawlty Towers. We stayed there a little over a year ago and it was nice. All the rooms surround a pool with a tiki bar that opens at nite for the hotel patrons. Rooms were clean, kinda small, cinder block hurrican proof, but had glass sliding doors right out to the pool area. It was quiet the couple nights we stayed there, and you get to meet some interesting folks from the hotel at the tiki bar.:)

It seems to me that reading through this forum that most people say that renting a car to get to port canveral is the cheapest. I was wondering if going with a shuttle would be better as we have 6 people plus luggage:eek: in our group.

Thanks for all the help in advance

Shirley or anyone that knows for sure. I am confused from what I have read regarding Holiday Inn Express in Cocoa Beach. I have read some good reviews but then some horrific ones. From what I understand there was a HI and a newer HIexpress. Some said the Holiday Inn Express was bought out by another company on Tripadvisor. I am wondering if people are getting the two confused. I am interested in Holiday Inn Express in Cocoa Beach. Do you have any knowledge of this hotel? Is this a decent place to stay for a night or should I be looking elsewhere? Thank you so much!!

Shirley or anyone that knows for sure. I am confused from what I have read regarding Holiday Inn Express in Cocoa Beach. I have read some good reviews but then some horrific ones. From what I understand there was a HI and a newer HIexpress. Some said the Holiday Inn Express was bought out by another company on Tripadvisor. I am wondering if people are getting the two confused. I am interested in Holiday Inn Express in Cocoa Beach. Do you have any knowledge of this hotel? Is this a decent place to stay for a night or should I be looking elsewhere? Thank you so much!!

In all honesty, I know very little about the Holiday Inn Express even though it is right in front of my condo = my only experience with this hotel was a very bad one or rather on a family of cruisers but this happened about 5 or so years ago and I was so upset for these cruisers, I decided that I would not ever say yea or nay about the HIE - This HIE was personally owned and if it has been sold, I do not have any idea to be honest. The Holiday Inn has been been sold and from what I understand is there are plans to completely renovated it from top to bottom. I was there Saturday and to me it looked clean and comfy, but then I wasn't in any other part of the hotel except the lobby for business.

I know I haven't been much help, but I do know the staff from the old HI and they are great dealing with their guest.

Shirley,

Thank you for your reply, it helped a great deal. I crossed DT off my list since it sounds like there isn't much entertainment in that area. So now between the Hampton Inn, Best Western and La Quinta which one would you suggest. I'm trying to stay on a budget since it's only for one night, but I don't want to end up at a dump either. Oceanfront would be great, but if it's 1/2 block from the beach, I wouldn't really mind. I want to be close to the beach, walking distance to nightly entertainment, and a nice, decent, clean hotel. I don't mind if there is a shuttle to the port because I can always take a taxi.

I LOVED all of the above and all of them are close to the beach - I was at the LaQuinta Sunday morning and they had a breakfast spread that smeld and looked delicious - I flat wanted to sit down and enjoy their food, but again was there on business - the place looked very clean and smell very clean, close to the pier and other places

Best Western is another great place with a great staff - on the 5th post it gives names of folks you can call on if you have a problem or concern - they are close also to the beach etc.

Fawlty Towers is a neat place and is the closest to everything including shopping, dinosaur shop, the beach, bar and grill, so really the choice is going to be yours as to what is the best for you and your families - I have to endorsed just about all the hotels for I really feel that they all really try to meet any concerns anyone has.

Edited by snelsonbrown

Shirley,

Thanks so much for the information about the sand sculptures. We will be there during that time, so I have put this on our must do list. I like doing the out of the way, not touristy stuff and you are a jewel for keeping us informed about things in your area. Keep it coming!!

Munchkin

Returning to PC on Dream Apr 10th and have a 2:10 flight at MCO Southwest said check in 2 hrs early around 12. From the boards people are getting off the ship pretty early thus giving us a couple of hours of time to spare before we have to be at the airport. Any suggestions. We will be most likely be using Cocoa Beach Shuttle for our transport back to airport. Rental car not an option. Any ideas as an alternative to just killing time at the airport????????

Thanks again Shirley. I don't know what I would do without you and everyone else on these boards.

The idea of this board is to give folks a safe zone feeling so when they come here, at least each will have an idea of what to expect as to what to do, where to go, what to see etc.

There is many choices given and many folks share their imput which makes it nicer. If there are particular stuff going on, it is posted simply because folks could be interested in attending if only to have something to do. Anyhow its just nice that you do have a place to get infor and at least feel safe about all that is said by so many.

Anyhow Preston started the first and second thread and because of his thoughtfulness, he made the information possible for everyone to share.

Thanks for your input and glad to help in any way possible.

I have heard it mentioned many times that renting a car is cheaper than getting a shuttle from the cruise port to airport but I just got off the phone with Avis and a compact car is $75 and our shuttle with Cocoa Beach Shuttle is only $58. I guess if its more than two people renting is good but not for us on this trip.

I have heard it mentioned many times that renting a car is cheaper than getting a shuttle from the cruise port to airport but I just got off the phone with Avis and a compact car is $75 and our shuttle with Cocoa Beach Shuttle is only $58. I guess if its more than two people renting is good but not for us on this trip.

Try going through Budget and using the code Y937800 for a discount. I got an intermediate size car for about $50 for a one way MCO to Cape Canaveral. And I think Canaverl to MCO was about $40. Since we are flying in a day ahead and staying a day after, we decided this was a good deal and we would have a way to get around. Hope it works for you!

Try going through Budget and using the code Y937800 for a discount. I got an intermediate size car for about $50 for a one way MCO to Cape Canaveral. And I think Canaverl to MCO was about $40. Since we are flying in a day ahead and staying a day after, we decided this was a good deal and we would have a way to get around. Hope it works for you!

Wow, I got a rate of $32. Now with a flight at 2:55 I would imagine I would have a bit of time to check out Cocoa Beach before heading to MCO. Right??