The NEW I Work in Port Canaveral Thread!

psblin99

Just read through the whole thing and still have one question--Is the shuttle from the pier to Thirfty Car rental free? Is it convenient? I see that Avis has a free shuttle but their rates are double! Thanks

All the shuttles from the rental car areas are at no charge to and from the port - if you will call Avis directly or drop them an email and let them know you are from this board, they do give you a discount. I have learned in speaking with all the car rental places here that if you go through them directly, you do get a better price AND you do have a car waiting for you. My understanding is that there have been a number of times that the rental car main office will overbook and then not have the cars here for the customers which has create a lot of fusterations not only for the customers, but the rental employees also - I didn't realize this until I went to rent a car and walked in and encountered a number of very angry customers who had just found out there were no cars anywhere and they had to wait until some were brought in. This caused a lot of anguish for all those involved.

All of the rental places here work with each other and have a very good relationship - I still feel it is better to have a rental car were you have the freedom it gives you.

Just a thought :-))

Thanks Shirley I did drop avis an email but it was late Sat. afternoon. I'm sure I'll hear something this week. It would be great if they'll meet the rate and confirm MY car will be there waiting. Either way I'll call and double check with the local office. Thanks for the tips.

anyplace to buy soda or last minute snacks, sunscreen near Hampton Inn

we wont have a car...THANKS

Hello Starfish - you have a 7/11 which maybe a block away on the Southwest side - now you can walk maybe 2 to 3 blocks NORTH of the Hampton Inn and you will find a Winn Dixie on the West side of the road - these are the only places that I know of that is within walking distance of the hotel. If you won't have help carrying stuff you purchase, just call a cab and it will save you any problems - hope this will help - you can go to post #5 look at the address for Winn Dixie and it will give you an idea of the walk distance.

GOOD LUCK

Edited by snelsonbrown

Back from our spring break cruise out of Cape Canaveral.... and I must say this thread was extremely helpful in my planning!! We had a wonderful stay in Cape Canaveral at the Comfort Inn and a great cruise!!

I am now researching a September cruise... and have another question for someone who has "done this" hopefully. I am looking at flying in the day prior and staying 1 night in Cape Canaveral. And flying out same day -- MY QUESTION -- is a 12:15 flight out of Orlando do-able? If it makes any difference, I am looking at Carnival Sensation cruise.

Any advise would be appreciated!! :D

I am now researching a September cruise... and have another question for someone who has "done this" hopefully. I am looking at flying in the day prior and staying 1 night in Cape Canaveral. And flying out same day -- MY QUESTION -- is a 12:15 flight out of Orlando do-able? If it makes any difference, I am looking at Carnival Sensation cruise.

Any advise would be appreciated!! :D

This was taken directly from Carnival's site

Port Canaveral – Earliest return flight after 12:00 PM for Orlando and Melbourne Airports for 3 & 4 day cruises, 1:00pm for 7 day cruises

Thanks, Gina. I think we are looking at renting a car from the airport, since we are planning to stay one night pre-cruise. But maybe we will just do the carnival shuttle back from the cruise to the airport to ensure we get there on time.

04/16/2010 UPDATE

I have had numberous questions about limo service from the airport to Brevard County or visa versa.

I found a company that is reputable in case anyone is interested - here is the info since I can not go back and edit my first post.

EXECUTIVE VIP LIMOUSINE AND SEDAN SERVICE

Luxury limousine transportation at affordable prices

Website is being built and will post as soon as it is ready.

Owners are Michael and Marlene Robinson - phone number 321-505-0009

email limosvip@hotmail.com

Located in Merritt Island, Fla

Daily airport service special is $75.00 one way

FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THIS SERVICE, take the time to call Mike or Marlene and they will be more than happy to answer any questions.

SHIRLEY, what do you recommend (port stop)-actually doing B2B so we will be back to Port Canaveral for our second leg-Dec 11 '10...in port from 8a-4p...do not want to rent a car....THANKS for any advice;)

might add that we plan to do Kennedy Space center post cruise:)

Hi Shirley...After checking with several companies that provide both shuttle service in a mini bus/limo or town car, I finally chose a local company for when we arrive in Fort Lauderdale this Friday.

We chose John's Limousine Service. The website indicated it was a local company in business for many years. When I spoke with John, he was very helpful. He explained everything in a straight forward way and provided me with all of the details we needed.

Just wondering if you have heard about this company good or bad. I will report back to everyone once we return on May 1st.

Dave

SHIRLEY, what do you recommend (port stop)-actually doing B2B so we will be back to Port Canaveral for our second leg-Dec 11 '10...in port from 8a-4p...do not want to rent a car....THANKS for any advice;)

might add that we plan to do Kennedy Space center post cruise:)

OMG Star - remember that is not a whole bunch of time - go to post number 5 for it gives a whole bunch of suggestions - also all depends on the weather - you will love KSC - I started taking my kids there many many years ago when there was really not much and free, but still loved the excitement of it all/

Whatever you do ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Shirley...After checking with several companies that provide both shuttle service in a mini bus/limo or town car, I finally chose a local company for when we arrive in Fort Lauderdale this Friday.

We chose John's Limousine Service. The website indicated it was a local company in business for many years. When I spoke with John, he was very helpful. He explained everything in a straight forward way and provided me with all of the details we needed.

Just wondering if you have heard about this company good or bad. I will report back to everyone once we return on May 1st.

Dave

Hello Dave - gosh I don't know anything about Ft Lauderdale or John's limo - I have found that searching or goggling most of the time brings me answers, but I also know of places and folks who have been misjudged wrong and posted in anger but then the same things has happened the other way around - I try to go as far as I can to learn everything I can about a business etc before I suggest anyone or anything but I also always try to put in choices for the decision has to be made by the person using any of the service and I don't want anyone to stay anywhere, go anywhere and that person have a lousy experience. I know been there and done that :-))

Keep in touch and please always share your experience with the whole board - folks always can always use a helping hand

We are planning on taking our two granddaughters, ages 9 and 11, to Kennedy Space Center before embarking on the cruise. We are not sure if adding one of the tours to what is normally included in the admission ticket would be too much for this age or if one of them is a not to be missed tour? Thank you.

We are planning on taking our two granddaughters, ages 9 and 11, to Kennedy Space Center before embarking on the cruise. We are not sure if adding one of the tours to what is normally included in the admission ticket would be too much for this age or if one of them is a not to be missed tour? Thank you.

With our Shuttles coming to a close and it will be at least 5 years or more before we have anymore manned ones going to KSC would be a "must not miss" tour - and no the kids are not too young - mine started going at a very young age and still talk about it today in their memory recalls of wonderful - this is my own thoughts and feelings so the choices are up to you.

One-Way Taxi Rates from Cape Canaveral to:

Melbourne International Airport $60.00

I have to start by saying that you are an absolute goldmine of information! This is such a great service you provide and I personally thank you for taking so much time to make sure travelers like me get the info we need!

Is there a certain cab company or shuttle service that quotes this rate? I need a ride after getting off the Freedom of the Seas on May 9th, to take 3 of us to Melbourne Airport.

Voted best overall discount code that include LDW. Anyone can use it.

Combine it with any other coupon code you want. It also includes wavied

underage fee, unlimited miles and free extra driver fee. MOST

IMPORTANTLY, IT'S THE ONLY ONE YOU CAN USE TO GET FREE INSURANCE & LDW.

From car & driver magazine. I used over 20 times and saved me over

$1000 so far.

It's been discussed many times already. The best discount code for

National car or Enterprise rental is XVC1006, car and driver magazine.

This code includes unlimited miles, extra driver fee and wavies underage

fee(21-24). Anyone can use this code.

https://www.nationalcar.com/index.do?action=resRentalInfo.do&contractId=XVC1006

http://www.enterprise.com/car_rental/deeplinkmap.do?bid=002&cust=XVC1006

PIN number=car

If you are looking one that include all the insurance, use code XVC1034,

it's from car and driver magazine as well. This code includes unlimited

miles, full insurance, extra driver fee and wavies underage fee. Anyone

can use this code.

https://www.nationalcar.com/index.do?action=resRentalInfo.do&contractId=XVC1034

http://www.enterprise.com/car_rental/deeplinkmap.do?bid=002&cust=XVC1034

PIN number=car

Thank you so much for your input - one of the things I do have to mention and that is we no longer have a national car rental here - they moved their office to the Melbourne airport so please take that into consideration if you do rent National ok?

Thanks a bunch

OMG Star - remember that is not a whole bunch of time - go to post number 5 for it gives a whole bunch of suggestions - also all depends on the weather - you will love KSC - I started taking my kids there many many years ago when there was really not much and free, but still loved the excitement of it all/

Whatever you do ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!

oh YES i know its not alot of time...just wanting something close to the port, i will check out post 5...thanks...hubby was at the CAPE few years back for work so got all the VIP treatment and "backstage" areas...HE LOVED IT and looking forward to our post-cruise tour!!

With our Shuttles coming to a close and it will be at least 5 years or more before we have anymore manned ones going to KSC would be a "must not miss" tour - and no the kids are not too young - mine started going at a very young age and still talk about it today in their memory recalls of wonderful - this is my own thoughts and feelings so the choices are up to you.

Thank you. We definitely are going to the Space Center and are hoping to book lunch with an astronaut for them. Would you recommend either of the add-on tours - Then & Now or Today & Tomorrow? Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you. We definitely are going to the Space Center and are hoping to book lunch with an astronaut for them. Would you recommend either of the add-on tours - Then & Now or Today & Tomorrow? Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

My best suggestions is for you to go to the first page and look at post #5 - it will take a while to look at all the suggestions - one of them for sure is the new Dinosaur Store in Cocoa Beach - Cocoa Beach Pier or even going to eat at Grill's and watch the ships, birds, fishing boats etc. You will enjoy all the suggestions on that one post - It took a long time to put together but well worth the help you will get

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!

APRIL 22, 2010 --UPDATE ON THE SAND ART CAPE CANAVERAL, FLORIDA

OK just spoke to one of the sand art dealer and his art is called Nature for the Soul and his name is Michael Bodrogi - he is selling wares pretaining to the sand art - IF YOU WILL MENTION that you are off the CC board, he will give you 10% off - sounds pretty good to me - I am going this weekend and will post thoughts on the sand art - will be fun to see all the art

Hi, I see everyone has a great thread going. Can anyone tell me which airport your prefer to fly in and out of: Orlando or melbourne? I have a group of 11 and am trying to figure out logistics to get to and from the port. thanks,

Hi, I see everyone has a great thread going. Can anyone tell me which airport your prefer to fly in and out of: Orlando or melbourne? I have a group of 11 and am trying to figure out logistics to get to and from the port. thanks,

In my true feelings and I have tried both honest - I loved the idea of flying in and out of Melbourne cause only of convenience - at one time when there wasn't so much traffic on A1A or US 1 or even I-95, I could be home lickly split - now?? I would take Orlando for it would take almost the same amount of time to get here - rent a car, rent a shuttle, rent a bus - now Orlando airport is much busier than Melbourne so really it is up to you for the final choice - whatever you decide to do, it will be a good one.

GOOD LUCK

just me

PS post number 5 will help you with decisions