Poesia - Looking for East Caribbean port reviews

FOURunderFOUR

We are on the 1/23 sailing with our 5 young children (ages 15mos - 6 1/2 yrs). We did the alternate itinerary last Jan on the Orchestra and loved it. However, I am having a hard time figuring out what to do while in port this time as the time frames seem odd (San Juan at night, St. Maartin from 1-8...). Can those of you who have already sailed the Eastern itinerary give me any suggestions of things you really enjoyed? Our favorite thing last year was the all inclusive Mr. Sanchos in Cozumel but it doesn't seem like there is anything similar this time. My parents will also be traveling with us, so adult-only things are ok too as well. Thanks in advance for your help :)

J

Have no idea from what you wrote what you like. We have been to St Maarten so many times and have done the tour all over using a rental car, stopped at all the good beaches, done private excursions. With that said, I love this stop. We walk(about 15 min) to the beach that you can see from the ship. If you cannot walk you can take the water taxi. Then you have a niec beach, all the shopping you want to go walk around. Also, lots of bars and many offer chairs, umbrella and beer/soda/water /drink packages. Right after the big restaurant, if you are walking ( it is the first restaurant on the beach there is a small shop that sells linens and lots of trinkets and bags. They sell the totes for 5 for 20$. On the beach they are more. The lady working there is Augustina. Years ago my daughter passed out in her store and every time we return(without the kids now)she remembers us. I always buy from her. Her necklaces are also 3 for 10$ and on the beach they are 8 each. SHe is the store next to that big restaurant. That is what I would do for those hours. I would guess you want to be back on the ship for your dinner and not stay out with the kids for dinner on the island. If you wanted to rent jet skis they do that there too. It is fun and close and easy to get to.

On my 2 previous visits to St Maarten we had afternoon port visits, The first time we just took the water bus over to the beach, explored the nearby mainstreets and shops for a bit and then sun bathed for a while. Our trip was cut short by a tropical downpour that had as scurrying back to the ship looking like drowned rats!

On my second visit, I'd arranged in advance to go horeback riding at the Lucky Stables. Found then on the internet and they were receommended by the BHS (British Horse Society). I had a ride for 2.5-3 hours that was lovely. It was a quieter part of the Island, saw some lovely scenery and the ride culminated with our horses wading in to the Ocean. They do rides for parties or individuals and have horses to suit most riding abilities (or lack there of). You do need to bring a change of clothes with you. They don't do ship pick up but can be easily reached by taxi. They have a nice outdoor bar area where you can sit and relax in the sunshine with a cold drink whilst you wait for your taxi to return for you

AmoMondo- I'd love to ride horses, but I don't think we can swing that with the kids this time - they are still too young. I'll keep that in mind for future visits though. Thanks!

Cam - We are all about the beaches. A 15 min walk is definitely doable. Perhaps we could walk over and take the water taxi back when the kids are hot/tired. Do you know the name of the beach and the store you mentioned? I know there are several beaches in the area, and I am pretty sure we would want to avoid Orient, which I think is the nude one.

Any suggestions for the other stops?

We are on the 1/23 sailing with our 5 young children (ages 15mos - 6 1/2 yrs).

FOURunderFOUR,

We are taking our 13mo daughter on her first cruise on the Poesia the week after yours. If you come up with any suggestions for activities/excursions please post them. If you could also post any helpful tips on the Poesia for those with toddlers that would also be great.

Thanks,

Jared

We just got off the eastern itinerary on Poesia this morning. We were shocked to find that the actual arrival times in both San Juan and St. Martin were much different than what were published in all cruise docs. We arrived in San Juan at 2:00pm and I believe 11:00am in St. Martin. While we were appreciative of the extra time we were very disappointed overall as we would have been able to plan many more activities for our port time, especially in San Juan. We actually passed on a food tour in San Juan we had wanted to take, but our 5:00 arrival would have been too late. Too bad tickets had to be purchased in advance :(. I would recommend calling your TA or MSC directly to see if this is the plan for future cruises this season.

I also just got off the Poesia yesterday and was disappointed in their excursions. We went on the Panoramic & Beach Tour ending at Orient Point beach. Only one topless woman on the whole beach and the kids were in the water and did not even notice. When i think of a Carribean beach, I picture calm water. This beach was on the Atlantic side with rough water. Frankly I was disappointed in St Maarten, and am puzzled as to why people love it so much. It was filthy and seemed to be poverty stricken with people lliterally living in shacks and delapidated dwellings. I would not walk around Marigot on my own. They say the Island has 3% crime, yet when I used the public bathroom in marigot there were gang names written in the stalls.

If i knew now to stay at the beach near the ship, i could have saved a lot of money for the family.

We desparately wanted to go To Jost Van Dyke and this was the sole purpose of this cruise. I booked the excursion the day we got on the ship only to have them cancel it a day before we got there. Had I known that the cruise of the Island Virgin gorda was essentially a booze cruise, I would have gladly done that. My parents had a great time while we got pummelled by waves and STRONG riptides at Smugglers cove.

For our stop in Nassau, I was told there would be no glassbottom boat tours, only to receive the daily programme showing the meeting time for those going on a glassbottom boat tour. They did offer the tour after i was told it was not available. Instead we were stuck on a horrible panoramic tour of the bahamas which was an absolute joke. It stopped at Atlantis which in their shore excursion channel shows many aspects of Atlantis- only to find that when we got there access to most areas was only for guests of the hotels. So you could basicall only go downstair and see some of their aquarium. another waste.

The price for the cruise was fantastic, but I walk away disappointed in the cruise itself. I will probably not cruise with msc again.

I agree with a [revious poster to check with the arrival times. They were very different than what is advertised. We were actually in ports longer than scheduled, but unless you knew this was going to happen there was no way to plan for the extra time.

The highlight of our day was Luigi in the Il Palladio lounge on deck 6 for dinner. He was the supervisor of the wait staff, but he was not the Maitre'd. Luigi Mascollo (sp?) was awesome in looking out for my sons food allergies.

My boys really enjoyed the kids club which we put them in a couple of times.

ALSO, if you plan on spending time at the pool, get your towels early on your way to breakfast in the cafeteria and claim your lounge chairs by putting your towel on it. If you do not do this you risk not getting chairs together because as many lounges as there are, they do fill up quickly.

sorry if I rambled, just reading this i realized this should be in more or a "review" thread.

Archived