Should I Trust The Jewlery shops in the Caribbean

Jods00

My husband bought me a set of Caribbean topaz jewlry, a ring, slider for my omega necklace and earrings. We purchased them in Freeport in the Bahamas. It was a small mom and pop type place, the owner was from England, not a Carnival recommended store. We got an excellent price on all 3 pieces. I checked prices when we got back and they are 2 or 3 times the amount we paid + no tax. I get compliments all the time on them.

We also bought a pink topaz necklace and ring in Cozumel, it was more the haggling back and forth type place, but we had fun! The seller was a great guy and we felt like we got a good price.

This cruise my DH said no more jewelry on a cruise! Hmmmm, we'll see:p

We've been dealing with Star Jewelers on St. Thomas for over 20 years and have bought many pieces which have all appraised at least double what we paid. The recommended stores pay over $1000 per week to each ship for their recommendation. The non recommended stores just don't want to pay the kick back to the cruise lines. If they are reputable, like Star Jewelers in Royal Dane Mall, then they'll be around for a long time. A lot of their customers are repeaters and he sells to a lot of people through the mail too. Ask for Om.

Linda

• 5 months later...

I would not buy jewelry again from a cruise....especially if it is "guaranteed" by the cruise line, which then says it's the responsibility of PPI, not theirs. I posted my concerns on three other threads that I found doing a search for PPI and I don't want to agitate people by posting it again.

I would never buy jewelry from a store that is not guranteed by the ship. :eek: Good luck and hope you have a wonderful cruise' date=' but then again aren't they all! ;)

Luv's Crusin'[/quote']

I've read of some issues with the so-called "guarantee" - accordingly that is not a fail safe either.

I'm OK with buying jewelry but I have never treated jewelry and/art investments. My wife wears things because she likes it, not to make money. We have had good luck buying DW's jewelry but are relatively cautious and conservative.

If it was a huge dollar amount, I'm not sure I would but then again, maybe.

Right now with gold being at all time highs, I'm not sure I would be on the market anyway.

We have bought many pieces over the last 7 years. Some of the places are crappy. You learn where to look. I agree with the other one. We found one guy who was great. Our ship didn't have them on their list. I had been looking for a beautiful diamond kabana tanzanite opal and emeralds bracelet. I wanted a good size one. I looked for 2 years. Finally found one for $1100.00. We had started a lot higher. We went back and looked at all the other places. It is now valued at over 5 grand. We bought it at St Maarten. Looked last year and it was over $6500 and smaller diamonds and smaller tanzanite. Had it appraised in the states. Now in the states it is really high. I have bought tanzanite ring at diamonds international which is ship approved. Got my first emerald ring there too. They have gotten higher though. I keep them now in safe deposit box. Too expensive to replace. .

In general, jewelry is appraised at least 2 times the value...for insurance purposes. So...appraisals really don't mean much.

As far as the recommended stores...I saw a silver piece by a designer at one "recommended store"....and the identical piece at a "not recommended store" at half the price, right next door. (Grand Turk)

I buy my diamonds in the diamond district in NYC...I know my jewelry...and the stores in the Caribbean will never match the prices I get...but I get my pieces at probably half of what "other people" pay in the states. (I think one might call it "wholesale".)

There are many many variables that make up the price of the diamond...and unless you are GIA certified (or very knowledgeable)...you really won't know if it's a good deal. To the naked untrained eye...they may look identical...but the value of one can be double the value of the other.

With all of the above being said....I do get a nice piece each trip...as a souvenir. We go to Effys...and I spend about $500.

I only buy jewelry when I love the piece...not for an investment.

Archived