Tips for taking Red Eye flights

sunquest76

We're leaving tomorrow on the Red Eye! Yay! DD usually goes to bed around 7pm, we have to leave for the airport at 9:30pm for a 1am flight. Any tips for us? I plan to bring extra food in case she stays awake all night, and leave her in PJs. Not sure what else might make this easier.

I flew on an overnight flight to Europe in October with my 6 yo daughter and she slept for most of the 8 hour flight. When we arrived in Europe, we took a 2 hour nap and then that night went to bed at our ``normal hour`` in the new time zone. I did not do anything else and it worked well. I`ve heard of other people who have given gravol to their kids and that helped them sleep throughout. However, I do not believe in ``medicating``, but whatever works.

Good luck to you and have a great trip.

I took benadryl with me just in case. My Dr didn't have any problems with me doing that...when I specifically asked. Had to go in for an ear check prior to our trip (lots of ear infections--both kids now have tubes)

We're leaving tomorrow on the Red Eye! Yay! DD usually goes to bed around 7pm, we have to leave for the airport at 9:30pm for a 1am flight. Any tips for us? I plan to bring extra food in case she stays awake all night, and leave her in PJs. Not sure what else might make this easier.

My experience with my kids and kids in general don't seem to have the problems of adults, YMMV.

Comfortable clothes, make sure they are warm, feet should are something often forgotten, socks warm ones! Between AC and skimpy or no blankets make sure they are warm ( barefoot or slip off shoes with no socks is a recipe for cold feet ) A pillow or snuggle toy? We never did PJs, just comfortable and loose warm sweats was our general approach.

The biggest challenge we found was keeping them awake waiting for the flight leaving later, but usually the excitment of going on a trip keep their adrenaline high enough. A laptop and movie is also usually good to keep them up in airport. On the plane, never had a problem with them sleeping. Make sure they do drink enough water as air is dry, but not tooo much water as you can guess why too :D

good luck!

Archived