question about dress code

ward497

I have heard that on formal nights (as well as all other nights) that part of the upstairs buffet area is turned into a bistro and you do not have to dress formally for that dining experience. Is this true? I heard there is a $2 charge for this.

I am taking my father to Alaska in May and he does not own a suite and we are planning on just going up to the bistro on formal evenings.

Let me know if I need to rethink the plans. We can still order off the dining room menu for in-room dining in the evening can't we?

As I have said before (elsewhere), if people don't understand about dressing for dinner than nothing you can say will help.

PS page 43, European/Med brochure, "dark suit"....''D/J with dark trousers''

From the web site which is more recent than brochures...

Formal

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown or dressy pantsuit

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000RGmUgyXGw2d1ijjefHhmsmU:12hdebcnj?faqSubjectName=Dress+Code&faqId=478&pagename=faq_answers

This is really old news it has been discussed a number of times on this board....

I have heard that on formal nights (as well as all other nights) that part of the upstairs buffet area is turned into a bistro and you do not have to dress formally for that dining experience. Is this true? I heard there is a $2 charge for this.

I am taking my father to Alaska in May and he does not own a suite and we are planning on just going up to the bistro on formal evenings.

Let me know if I need to rethink the plans. We can still order off the dining room menu for in-room dining in the evening can't we?

They do not have the casual dining on the S class ships as there are so many other options.

From the web site which is more recent than brochures...

Formal

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown or dressy pantsuit

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000RGmUgyXGw2d1ijjefHhmsmU:12hdebcnj?faqSubjectName=Dress+Code&faqId=478&pagename=faq_answers

This is really old news it has been discussed a number of times on this board....

How do you know the website is most recent?

I brought a tuxedo for formal night when we sailed on Century five years ago, but it seemed that only 30-40% of the men were similarly attired (most in suits). This time around I'm leaving the tuxedo at home and bringing a variety of sports jackets, pants and ties that can be mixed and matched. I may or may not throw in a dark suit-- I'll see how the mood strikes me when I pack.

Was your centry cruise a short (3 or 4)night cruise or a longer (7 to 11) day cruise? I ask because I've herd that some of the shorter cruises tend to be more casual.

On all the Celebrity cruises I've been on the vast majority of men wear Tuxes or suits, with more in tuxes than suits, on formal nights. This includes the Caribbean cruises even though these tend to be less formal than other cruises. While you can get by in a dressy sport jacket you'll feel more in line with the crowd wearing something dressier.

And yes, I have sometimes seen a small handful of people dressed casually in the dining room on formal nights, so apparently the dress code isn't always "enforced" although they certainly looked very out of place.

I looked through pictures from our cruise last spring that not only showed formal night but had a number of people in the background so you could see how they were dressed and came up with these (click here) and another from a year ago (click here)

Hope this helps a little.

It does seem like there should be options. And it sounds like there are, although some people don't seem to be happy with the lack of formality anywhere.

If you are selling tickets for $300 for a weekend cruise, it is unlikely to expect the unwashed masses (of which I am often one) to put together a tux or even dinner jacket.

Will the X waitstaff/maitre d' on a 7 day cruise send a man away from the main dining room on formal night(s) if he is not wearing a jacket of any sort? I was thinking of wearing a nice black dress shirt and black dress pants (no jacket).

On a past HAL cruise some fellow passengers (cruise newbies) didn't know about formal night and were provided jackets by the maitre d'. On my last X cruise some friends of mine rented tuxes and then felt stupid doing so given the number of men without jackets (granted it was Century 5 day cruise).

I have brought a suit or tux on past cruises. I like getting dressed up, but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle on a boat in tropical weather (I usually take the jacket off at the table). And with bag fees going up again (Delta, at least) it's $100 total for a couple to bring two bags both ways (or $50 if you combine luggage).

How do you know the website is most recent?

Because it is changed as needed, also, I am not going to argue with you, this has been discussed numerous times since it was changed by Celebrity when they changed their dress codes about two years ago. I don't know how to say this politily but it's really been a settled issue for at least a year....Your trying to argue something that was changed two years ago. Bottom line, they don't enforce their rules anyway....

We like Celebrity because people DO dress up. On our last cruise (RCCL) a man wore baggy blue jeans and a long sleeved gray T shirt to EVERY dinner all 14 nights...it appeared to be the same set of clothes. You don't want to dress up, go on Carnival or to the buffett. There is a dress code and it doesn't say wear what you want you are on vacation.

This is great.

A poster asks a question that has already been answered in Celebrity literature. Now he or she has to decide which of all these unknown, nameless, faceless responders here to believe since he or she apparently doesn't like the official Celebrity answer.

Will the X waitstaff/maitre d' on a 7 day cruise send a man away from the main dining room on formal night(s) if he is not wearing a jacket of any sort?...

On the one hand I have seen people dressed casually on formal nights and eating in the dining room. They were very few in number. On the other hand I have read reports of people turned away for not following the dress code. So it appears either result is possible.

With that in mind why take a chance. A better question is why would you book a cruise that you know has a dress code and formal night if you don't want to get dressed up? Especially since you apparently prefer the main dining room. There are both alternative cruise lines and altnerative places to eat on Celebrity.

My opinion: Either follow the dress code or go to alternative dining.

Will the X waitstaff/maitre d' on a 7 day cruise send a man away from the main dining room on formal night(s) if he is not wearing a jacket of any sort? I was thinking of wearing a nice black dress shirt and black dress pants (no jacket).

With all due respect, why did you book a cruise on a line that has formal nights? If you like to dress down there are many options.

I think it's sad that folk think that just because something isn't enforced it's ok not to do it. I am sure professional staff on a 5 star ship don't sign up for doorman duties and assume their passengers will be respectful 5 star passengers. P.S. This isn't aimed at anyone it's just a sad observation.

"Acceptable" or not, on my Solstice cruise last week a high percentage of people (30%?) wore jeans on the first (and not because of luggage issues) and last nights, and a noticeable number wore jeans every night in between - including formal night. And I am not talking about nice jeans, nice shoes, a collared shirt and sports jacket. I am talking about yucky jeans, tshirts and sneakers. We were very surprised.

"Acceptable" or not, on my Solstice cruise last week a high percentage of people (30%?) wore jeans on the first (and not because of luggage issues) and last nights, and a noticeable number wore jeans every night in between - including formal night. And I am not talking about nice jeans, nice shoes, a collared shirt and sports jacket. I am talking about yucky jeans, tshirts and sneakers. We were very surprised.

Sadly, you will find hicks in every venue.

theres no need to be rude if you didn't want to say anything nice why bother with saying anything at all

Really nothing rude about the statement. Celebrity is a more formal, traditional line than most. That formal tradition is what makes people WHO LIKE THE TRADITION return to Celebrity frequently. There are cruise lines for everyone. Celebrity has a dress code, it is generally adhered to and it is often enforced. I personally have seen people turned away from both the dining room and the theater on formal night (two couples traveling together-one got turned away from the dining room and two nights later, the other got turned away from the theater).

We saw the same thing on our Solstice cruise

Jeans but also saw shorts and no one turned away .

many suits and dresses as well

We love Celebrity, are Elite

we love food and service but they do not enforce what they ask for in their dress code.

We do not really care about that-but follow the rules

Archived