question about dress code

ward497

I was on a carnival cruise a couple of years ago, and there were two formal nights. Everyone I saw in the MDR were dressed, although there were some empty seats. Assumed these people ate on the Lido Deck at the buffet.

If you want casual, go NCL. People in the MDR on formal night in clothes I would be embarassed to wear walking the dog (and believe me, it is no high standard.)

We like to dress up occassionally--but know some people that won't cruise because "no one tells me what to wear on vacation!)

On the one hand I have seen people dressed casually on formal nights and eating in the dining room. They were very few in number. On the other hand I have read reports of people turned away for not following the dress code. So it appears either result is possible.

Thanks, that helps. The dress code at formal night may or may not be enforced.

The funny thing is that X cruises have been cheaper than RCI cruises recently, esp. my upcoming cruise on the Summit from San Juan ($449 inside) with an RCI ship sailing the same day ($699 inside). A premium cruiseline at a discount price isn't so premium anymore. ;)

Women get A LOT more flexibility for formal night, that's for sure.

On the Infinity in Oct, a man at our table came to dinner in short shorts.

He stood out but no one said anything. He was 75 and the shorts were short!

However on formal night I saw a man turned away at the entrance because he didn't have a jacket. Tie didn't seem to matter on formal night but they were sticklers for the jacket.

We always dress appropriately because I don't want to look foolish.

dianne- I agree 100%. I enjoy myself so much on a cruise that, what someone I don't even know does, does not affect me except, as you say maybe they will "stand out" or get a few stares. When we were on the Horizen (I know, ancient history) we were at a table for 8. 2 of the couples were a pair of older (70's) brothers & their wives.& there was also a pair of sisters around our age. One of the wives had been looking forward to lamb all week. The night the served it, she arrived w/o her hubby. We asked her where he was & she said that he was going to eat upstairs. A little bit later he arrived in shorts & was seated - she was so upset that she left the MDR, followed a few minutes later by her husband. Now we felt sorry for her, but it in no way interfered with our enjoyment of the meal.

Could be that it is actually Celebrity taking the high-road: making suggestions and recommendations in the dress code but realizing that they can't/won't enforce dress code specifics. After all, no one wants a legislated uniform to wear on a cruise. Hopefully everyone is there to enjoy themselves and realizes that there are differences in people/personalities/interpretations/intentions/abilities/resources that are neither malicious nor neglectful. Again, if you sell tickets as low as $300 for a weekend cruise, you can't expect everyone to own/rent a tuxedo or even a dark jacket. And if those people want to eat good any night of the cruise for a vacation they paid for, they ought to be able to.

This is perfectly stated, and clears the air in terms of any "definitive" or "official" stance taken by Celebrity on the subject Jeans Allowed in the Dining Room. They DO NOT have an official stance of not allowing them because they can't afford to. Of course jeans are allowed in the dining room. I don't wear them myself, but they are. Let's get real here. And Celebrity welcomes those that do with open arms now that they've mainstreamed themselves and aim to appeal to a broader market / younger generations. They NEED to in order to stay in business and remain successful.

There should be a Sticky on the top of the Celebrity Board with the title "Jeans Allowed in the Dining Room?", with the post above prominantly displayed. That would (perhaps) end some of these neverending debates.

- Rick

The dress code for males in the main dining room is very simple: formal night-tux or dark suit, either with all the trimmings; and, all other nights-smart casual which means slacks and a collared shirt.

How many formal nights on a 7 night cruise ?

I don't want to take a suit and the wife doesn't want to

take a gown

Thanks Delta Airlines for raising the checked luggage fees !

Not to count on the new NOW CARRY ON policy for flights from Canada and Mexico to the USA

How many formal nights on a 7 night cruise ?

I don't want to take a suit and the wife doesn't want to

take a gown

Thanks Delta Airlines for raising the checked luggage fees !

Not to count on the new NOW CARRY ON policy for flights from Canada and Mexico to the USA

There will be 2 formal nights. You will be okay to bring along a sportcoat and tie, altho the majority will be wearing a suit or tux. Your wife doesn't need a "gown". Cocktail dresses and dressy pants with pretty tops are also worn. Some long dresses but not many "gowns" as such.

If you don't want to dress to that level of "formal", head to one of the more casual venues on your ship...which one are you cruising? Then just dress up with your dressiest outfits. Formal nights tend to include a more reserved atmosphere.

This is perfectly stated, and clears the air in terms of any "definitive" or "official" stance taken by Celebrity on the subject Jeans Allowed in the Dining Room. They DO NOT have an official stance of not allowing them because they can't afford to. Of course jeans are allowed in the dining room. I don't wear them myself, but they are. Let's get real here. And Celebrity welcomes those that do with open arms now that they've mainstreamed themselves and aim to appeal to a broader market / younger generations. They NEED to in order to stay in business and remain successful.

There should be a Sticky on the top of the Celebrity Board with the title "Jeans Allowed in the Dining Room?", with the post above prominantly displayed. That would (perhaps) end some of these neverending debates.

- Rick

Have seen people turned away form MDR; wearing jeans on more than one occasion, it really depends on the Maitre'd. Take the chance if you wish....

Have seen people turned away form MDR; wearing jeans on more than one occasion, it really depends on the Maitre'd. Take the chance if you wish....

Don, I'm not asking this to be argumentative...honest ;) but has it happened recently? I know Celebrity used to be a lot clearer on their website about no Jeans, rather than the two conflicting statements they now have.

There should be a Sticky on the top of the Celebrity Board with the title "Jeans Allowed in the Dining Room?", with the post above prominently displayed. That would (perhaps) end some of these never ending debates.

- Rick

YES THEY DO ENFORCE THEIR DRESS CODE - THAT IS THE #1 REASON WE ONLY SAIL CELEBRITY!!

I have, personally, had 3 men removed from the MDR, 2 on formal nights and 1 on a casual night. They were dressed like they were ready to go out and plow the back forty!

On our last 11 night cruise, on the first formal night the maitre'd went around and told, quite a few couples that if they did not dress correctly for the "next" formal night "not to bother coming back" to the MDR. AND the table next to us - where we overheard this - were 4, elderly couples, the women were dressed very nice, but the men all wore open collar sport shirts, no ties, sport coats and dress pants. The men "REALLY" argued with the maitre'd, as they said they did not bring anything else. He offered to serve them the same food in their rooms, etc. but they just stormed out. We never saw them again! Too bad!

GOOD FOR CELEBRITY!!!!!!

- Rick

Are you saying/supporting that jeans are allowed in the MDR any night, including formal nights?

Are you saying/supporting that jeans are allowed in the MDR any night, including formal nights?

No, I'm just referring to casual nights. And I am not supporting it, as I believe in maintaining an atmosphere of elegance in the dining rooms. I'm just stating the reality of what is accepted - especially within the last few years.

You'd be lucky if jeans were all you need to worry about.... on our Solstice sailing in Dec 2008 we saw several people entering the MDR at dinner wearing shorts and flipflops. A few days later, in Muranos - on FORMAL night - a group of 6 guys showed up wearing shorts, t-shirts and sneakers... and they were promptly seated.

No, I don't support any of this... as all of my posts on this topic depict. I'm a traditionalist and prefer old-time elegance and sophistication.

Don, I'm not asking this to be argumentative...honest ;) but has it happened recently? I know Celebrity used to be a lot clearer on their website about no Jeans, rather than the two conflicting statements they now have.

Yes, but they are not consistent from cruise to cruise or ship to ship...

Same old thing then, all these cruise lines seem the same, they make the rules but don't uphold them, this just leads to more confusion & bad feeling than if they hadn't bothered. The fact they need to make rules at all says a lot & the situation where people still don't seem to understand the concept of elegant dining also makes a statement.

YES THEY DO ENFORCE THEIR DRESS CODE - THAT IS THE #1 REASON WE ONLY SAIL CELEBRITY!!

I have, personally, had 3 men removed from the MDR, 2 on formal nights and 1 on a casual night. They were dressed like they were ready to go out and plow the back forty!

On our last 11 night cruise, on the first formal night the maitre'd went around and told, quite a few couples that if they did not dress correctly for the "next" formal night "not to bother coming back" to the MDR. AND the table next to us - where we overheard this - were 4, elderly couples, the women were dressed very nice, but the men all wore open collar sport shirts, no ties, sport coats and dress pants. The men "REALLY" argued with the maitre'd, as they said they did not bring anything else. He offered to serve them the same food in their rooms, etc. but they just stormed out. We never saw them again! Too bad!

GOOD FOR CELEBRITY!!!!!!

Well, enforcement is not uniform (pardon the pun).On last month's Century 5-nighter, a gent at the next table sported a black 'Bike Week' T-shirt and jeans every night but formal night-that was when he upgraded to a sport jacket, shirt and tie, but kept the denim jeans. Not cricizing, just an observation. We still enjoyed our cruise.

THAT IS THE #1 REASON WE ONLY SAIL CELEBRITY!!

Please yell!! Celebrity is marketing upscale ambiance. If it is not there, why bother cruising Celebrity???

We, too, feel the same way. We choose to spend our cruise dollars with Celebrity primarily BECAUSE of the dress code, the "little things" and the formal, traditional cruising experience.

We could certainly find cheaper cruises to the same place. But we only cruise for three reasons-1. get away from phones, faxes, computers, etc. 2. see someplace that we would not likely get on a plane to see (like Arica, Chile or Funchal) 3. to get REALLY dressed up and enjoy the experience.

We own a international logistics company (glorified transportation company). We live in Levis and t shirts. Getting away from warehouses, docks and trucks is truly special to us. Getting really dressed up is special. I travel the world in pursuit of my business (I write this from Bagram AFB, Afghanistan). I have over a million AA miles on the books, so could go anyplace I want in style and comfort. But I choose to cruise with Celebrity for vacations with DH because I want that "special" experience.

We are booked on the Connie TA in April (were going on the Crystal Mid East cruise, but I can't get a visa for Iran as I have Iraq visas in my passport). IF the experience includes those in the main dining room at night in jeans, shorts, flip flops, etc., it will RUIN the experience. It will RUIN my vacation. It truly will. Call it fantasy or whatever you want, but we booked the cruise BECAUSE of the formal nights and the upscale other nights. Why tread on my vacation when the RULES say no jeans, no flip flops, no shorts, no t-shirts AFTER 6:00PM? It is MY vacation, too.

My suggestion? Dress in clothing that would be appropriate at any upscale (not formal) dining venue. We decided years ago to always dress UP to the suggested dresscode, not down.

If enough passengers follow this mind-set, then hopefully, others will follow. I just have never understood why people want to dine in a beautiful setting, and then dress like they are going to their local Chili's. No offense to those who like Chili's.

Please yell!! Celebrity is marketing upscale ambiance. If it is not there, why bother cruising Celebrity???

We, too, feel the same way. We choose to spend our cruise dollars with Celebrity primarily BECAUSE of the dress code, the "little things" and the formal, traditional cruising experience.

We could certainly find cheaper cruises to the same place. But we only cruise for three reasons-1. get away from phones, faxes, computers, etc. 2. see someplace that we would not likely get on a plane to see (like Arica, Chile or Funchal) 3. to get REALLY dressed up and enjoy the experience.

We own a international logistics company (glorified transportation company). We live in Levis and t shirts. Getting away from warehouses, docks and trucks is truly special to us. Getting really dressed up is special. I travel the world in pursuit of my business (I write this from Bagram AFB, Afghanistan). I have over a million AA miles on the books, so could go anyplace I want in style and comfort. But I choose to cruise with Celebrity for vacations with DH because I want that "special" experience.

We are booked on the Connie TA in April (were going on the Crystal Mid East cruise, but I can't get a visa for Iran as I have Iraq visas in my passport). IF the experience includes those in the main dining room at night in jeans, shorts, flip flops, etc., it will RUIN the experience. It will RUIN my vacation. It truly will. Call it fantasy or whatever you want, but we booked the cruise BECAUSE of the formal nights and the upscale other nights. Why tread on my vacation when the RULES say no jeans, no flip flops, no shorts, no t-shirts AFTER 6:00PM? It is MY vacation, too.

Well said.

I just joined CruiseCritic, and this is my first post. I've been avidly gathering all the information that I can, in anticipation of my first cruise, to Alaska. (Not counting a Yangtze River cruise on a very funky Chinese riverboat.) I've narrowly convinced my partner to take the cruise. He was recently laid off from his long-time job, as his company closed their entire West Coast division. Prospects are dim, so he has become very cautious about money. But I think we both need to look forward to something grand.

I have to say that this thread has almost made me give up the idea of cruising. After researching and reading, I had chosen Celebrity for the cruise. We are both good cooks and enjoy good food. We do not want to spend 7 days on a boat stuck with food similar to Country Buffet or Red Lobster. Celebrity seemed like the best choice. (Surely there are many reasons for choosing a particular cruise line, not just dress code.) However, we live in the Pacific Northwest, and while I enjoy dressing up a bit, my partner lives in jeans, tees, and flannel shirts. He does not own a jacket or tie. We have eaten at some of the best west coast restaurants, from Chez Panisse to Sooke Harbour House, and everyplace in Seattle, and it has never been a problem for him to wear khakis and a cotton long sleeve shirt. I would never be able to convince him that the added expense of buying a suit for one cruise was a worthwhile expense, necessary only to allow him into a dining room for a meal we have already paid for.

What has amazed me in this thread has been the intolerance and vitriol of some of the writers, under the guise of sticking to the rules. I love to see people dressed up and sparkling. I grow weary of the constant grunge dressing here in the northwest. I do think that it is nice when people make an effort to dress up for special occasions.

But when on a cruise ship, looking at fellow passengers, one does not really know how many pennies had to be saved to take the cruise, maybe the dream of a lifetime. One does not know whether the clean shirt and pants a passenger is wearing are the finest clothes they own, and not something chosen out of disrespect.

I'm not sure whether I want to cruise if this many of my fellow passengers are this entitled and judgmental.

Archived