Grand Cayman - where to grab a bite

HoustonTodd

Ok, so while we're in Grand Cayman we want to grab a bit to eat at someplace local. We might wind up just doing Margaritaville because the kids would have fun on the slides/etc ... but I am leaning towards wanting something more local and authentic instead of touristy and overpriced. So ... for those of you who have spent more time there than myself - what are some good eateries within a fair distance of the docks?

We ate at a place called The Cracked Conch a few years back and we really enjoyed it. They had really good conch fritters and really fresh fish! They were on West Bay Road, probably 1 mile or so past the Ritz Carlton...

"of touristy and overpriced"

if you eat anyplace in GC you are going to feel they were touristy and overpriced. Prices for everything in GC are high and don't forget about the exchange rate. Most prices you see will be in Cayman dollars and your US dollar is worth 80 cents of one of those.... Burger King or KFC will knock your socks off as compared to home. If you don't want to feel abused by the cost go back to the ship to eat ... you paid for it.

If you've decided to accept the above, I certainly would avoid the US relocated chain places. M'ville in Cayman is still a displaced (poor) US establishment. Jimmy may sing good (according to some) but the food he serves .... ugh. His slides and pool don't mean the food tastes better that Burger King (and maybe not AS)

Lots of small places around town and the water front .. there you can almost ALWAYS find a fresh fish sandwich, some fritters and a local beer .. I prefer to head a wee bit out of town and go to My Bar . . .

http://sunsethouse.com/bar.php

If you go: WARNING ... DO NOT challenge the regulars to a game of dominos ... and do not be disturbed by their 'loud' play . . .

Be careful in Grand cayman. The dollar exchange rate hit us pretty hard too. we decided to go to Senor Frogs. A small poboy, onion rings, a kids meal a margarita and 3 cokes was $75.00 US. I almost had a heart-attack. The prices are all in cayman dollars, so a drink that is $12.95 doesn't seem too bad, but after you do the exchange, it's like $16.00. Just be careful so you do not have the same surprise I had.

Local/not touristy, not overpriced and "fair" distance of the dock - hmmm, you can have 2 of the above but not all of them.

Which are more important and can you define "fair" - are you driving or walking?

Ok, so while we're in Grand Cayman we want to grab a bit to eat at someplace local. We might wind up just doing Margaritaville because the kids would have fun on the slides/etc ... but I am leaning towards wanting something more local and authentic instead of touristy and overpriced. So ... for those of you who have spent more time there than myself - what are some good eateries within a fair distance of the docks?

Local/not touristy, not overpriced and "fair" distance of the dock - hmmm, you can have 2 of the above but not all of them.

Which are more important and can you define "fair" - are you driving or walking?

I really hoped for local/not touristy, but given that with our excursion we won't have all day on this trip I would have to go with not overpriced and fair distance from the dock as my top 2. The family is all soccer players so "fair distance" can be relative - but we will be walking/jogging there.

Wife and I will be back in April, and we'll probably go the cab/car route and get somewhere further out and more local then.

I haven't been to Corita's but I'm going to have to stop by there next time I'm on island.

Easy walk although not local and can be pricey depending on what you order would be Lobsterpot - http://www.lobsterpot.ky/ for menus

You can have a look here as well to get some ideas of what's closer to the dock http://www.caymanrestaurants.com/maps/gt.html

Hi Drew - is Corita's 'across from the courthouse?' We had asked for a local place for lunch and poor memory, but that name sounds vaguely familiar. We were told it was across from the courthouse so that's what we told the bus driver.

Tiny place, walk in and there's a few tables and booths, with a big chalkboard with the daily menu to the right of the counter ? If so - yummy! Freshest fish & chips ever - so tasty after snorkeling. :D

Archived