If you could have your first cruise back...?

kdinkus1

"If you could do your 1st cruise over again, what would be the one thing that you would change or do instead?"

Me: I would have packed less. I would have flown instead. (we drove 1200 miles and was motion-sick the whole way!) I WOULDN'T have worn a 'transderm' patch as I spent many hours seeing double/nauseas and in the cabin sleeping off it's effects! AND I would have taken my video camera!!!! (FORGOT IT AT HOME BECAUSE I PACKED WAY TOO MUCH CLOTHING!) :eek:

Most especially... I would have savored even more moments and memories because my best friend (who went with my DH and I), died from cancer. I miss her so much... :(

What would I have done instead: I would have kept in touch with our tablemates over the years! How fun would that be to hear from the people that you shared your days with doing something you love with those who love the same thing!

SO... What would you change/do if you could do a 'do-over' of your 1st cruise??

I wouldn't have changed anything. Now we didn't eat in the steakhouse/specialty restaurant, and I do feel that I missed something there ... HOWEVER, I wouldn't have gone if I could go back because our table mates were so amazing that time we wouldn't have wanted to miss any of the time we spent with them.

We would have done a 7 or 8 day instead of a 3 day "test" cruise.

We were not sure that we would enjoy cruising and made the mistake of only booking a 3 day cruise after spending 5 days at Disney World.

Needless to say, we have never looked back and now work to cruise!!!!

Also made the mistake of booking a balcony cabin for the first cruise and now we are "balcony snobs".

Personally, there isn't much I would change about my first cruise. Granted, I've only been on three so far, with an Alaskan cruise booked this summer, but our first cruise is so far my favorite--for many reasons: the weather was the nicest, the cruise was the longest, every thing about the cruise was new and a learning experience, the staff was the nicest...

Sure, there are things I wish I would have wish we had known sooner about the cruising experience. Such as, we had a private table in the dining room for just my wife and I--we completed our meal and had left the dining room before the after dinner entertainment even started. Fortunately, our wait staff slowed us down (either purposely, or they were just busier on the other nights) on subsequent nights so that we were there for the entertainment.

There is not much I would have done different on my first cruise as I did not really know what a cruise offered until that cruise. But if I had to say 1 particular thing, it would be to enjoy more of what the ship had to offer. It was and still is almost overwhelming the amount of things available to do on a cruise ship, and it is the one aspect that I can never understand when someone says they got bored as there was nothing to do. Of course, I cruise for the time spent on the ship, not for the time spent in the ports, so that makes a difference as well, I am sure.

I knew nothing about cruising on our first trip and so got roped into the Spa tour. Of course that's just an opportunity to sell you a massage or some such thing. As it turns out, I booked a massage and enjoyed it very much. Only problem was I booked it on sail away thinking I wouldn't miss much. Wrong.

As the years and cruises have gone by I've realized sail away is too fun to miss. Great pictures and drinks to be had!

It wasn't my first cruise, but it was my first out of Tampa. We flew in that morning very early. So I decided to take a nap before dinner and missed sailing under the bridge. Definitely wish I would not have missed that.

As for my first cruise, I would have taken more advantage of the food options. I didn't know you could order however much you wanted at dinner- I really wanted surf and turf, but only got the lobster.

Wouldn't change a thing about my first cruise! In fact, 8 months after my first cruise and meeting my dinner mates I married one of them! 12 yrs later and he's still the best vacation souvenir ever! :)

That's great!!

I never would have gotten off the ship!!

Would have done a 7 (or maybe 10 day) instead of 4, since 4 isn't long enough, and it was our honeymoon. Of course, we didn't have any money then (just graduated college a few months earlier). But a 10 for our honeymoon would have been great. With a 4 day as your first cruise, you just start to figure things out by the time you get off.

I won my first cruise so , i had no choice in the length. But, I can say I would have booked an excursion in Progresso (not much to do there). I also would have spent more time trying to look around the ship and get to know it on day one. I would have packed way less, but i say that after each cruise. One day i will get to a point where we each only have one suitcase. Maybe I will accomplish this in April.

"If you could do your 1st cruise over again, what would be the one thing that you would change or do instead?"

Me: I would have packed less. I would have flown instead. (we drove 1200 miles and was motion-sick the whole way!) I WOULDN'T have worn a 'transderm' patch as I spent many hours seeing double/nauseas and in the cabin sleeping off it's effects! AND I would have taken my video camera!!!! (FORGOT IT AT HOME BECAUSE I PACKED WAY TOO MUCH CLOTHING!) :eek:

Most especially... I would have savored even more moments and memories because my best friend (who went with my DH and I), died from cancer. I miss her so much... :(

What would I have done instead: I would have kept in touch with our tablemates over the years! How fun would that be to hear from the people that you shared your days with doing something you love with those who love the same thing!

SO... What would you change/do if you could do a 'do-over' of your 1st cruise??

I would have left my ex at home. LOL

Wouldn't change a thing about my first cruise! In fact, 8 months after my first cruise and meeting my dinner mates I married one of them! 12 yrs later and he's still the best vacation souvenir ever! :)

AAWWWWW :p

Archived