FLL POM help end of this month

estherhead

OK, we got airplane tickets for free so I had to take what I got within reason. It's just two of us. We arrive one day early at 6:15 pm at FLL and leave POM the following day. We probably just want to have a nice dinner, buy bottled water & diet soda, sleep and go on the cruise the next day. Should we rent a car?

Then on the way home, and I know you're all going to yell at me, we leave at 11:50 am. That's right, we have to get from POM to FLL and our plane leaves at 11:50. Had I checked with you all first, I would have tried for something else but it seemed within the parameters when I did it.

So what's my best option? My original intention was to stay at a FLL hotel & just take SAS the morning of our cruise & then take SAS back but is there concerns with their reliability?

Any help would be great. It's been years since we cruised and I normally have a bunch of kids with me so this is different for us. I've never missed a flight in my life. What happens if you do miss a flight? How are you punished?

For one night I would not bother with the car - find a hotel with dining/shopping nearby and relax. SAS gets great reviews on these boards - as long as you are off the ship early you should make your tight flight time. Good luck!:)

OK, we got airplane tickets for free so I had to take what I got within reason. It's just two of us. We arrive one day early at 6:15 pm at FLL and leave POM the following day. We probably just want to have a nice dinner, buy bottled water & diet soda, sleep and go on the cruise the next day. Should we rent a car?

Then on the way home, and I know you're all going to yell at me, we leave at 11:50 am. That's right, we have to get from POM to FLL and our plane leaves at 11:50. Had I checked with you all first, I would have tried for something else but it seemed within the parameters when I did it.

So what's my best option? My original intention was to stay at a FLL hotel & just take SAS the morning of our cruise & then take SAS back but is there concerns with their reliability?

Any help would be great. It's been years since we cruised and I normally have a bunch of kids with me so this is different for us. I've never missed a flight in my life. What happens if you do miss a flight? How are you punished?

free, as in vochers/compensation or rewards? It can make a difference as to ability to cancel & rebook.

the policy will be on the airline's website, or call; all the airlines vary

Look at hotels in FLL that offer free shuttle to and from the airport. Stay at one of those for the night. Then take their free shuttle to the airport and catch a SAS van to the Miami port.

Coming home just book an early SAS van back to Mia.

I wouldn't have booked that early a flight, but if no screwy delays, you should make it. Call the airline to see what other flights they have later that day and the penalty for either switching or what happens if you miss the flight. Easier to make changes at the airport if needed if you plan ahead.

"I've never missed a flight in my life. What happens if you do miss a flight? How are you punished?"

If you are going to be late/miss your flight call the airline before your scheduled departure time and notify them (make note of the time and who you speak to) - otherwise your tickets are worthless. If you miss your flight you will likely be required to pay a change fee ($100-150 each):mad: to modify your tickets to a later flight, and may be required to pay more if the later flight has a higher fare - assuming there are seats left on those flights. :eek:

Book your shuttle service, carry your bags off, and you should be okay. Good luck!:)

On your way back I would suggest that you carry off your luggage and grab a cab. It will cost you a little more but will give you maximum flexibility if there are any delays in clearing customs. You also won't have to worry about waiting for a shuttle to fill and/or missing your booked time.

We are booked for a 11.50 am flight out of fll on feb 6. from what i have read on these boards if you disembark yourself from POM you can probably make it with time to spare. I have booked SAS shuttle. but if they are not there right away. I'm sure I can find a cab to share with others. I can imagine a lot of people will be heading to FLL.

Thanks everyone for your info. It will help me determine the best plan.

It was rewards tickets.

Right now I think I'm going to stick with the 11:50 flight. And find a hotel next to the Fll airport as suggested and take the SAS shuttle to the cruise. And then follow someone else's suggestion of taking a taxi on the way home if the SAS isn't right there when we get off.

We won't get charged ahead of time by SAS, right? It's only once you're ridden?

Our cruise is only 5 days & I'm planning on travelling light. Without kids I'm pretty sure I can take just a carry-on. I'll just have to make sure my make-up follows carry-on guidelines.

Thanks so much!

Archived